If you are jealous of your geeky linux friends that have Beryl running under linux, you should check out Yod’m 3D, a small application for Windows XP / Vista that will give you a decent substitute for the “Desktop Cube” effect.
Without further ado, here’s a nice screenshot of it in action.
In the screenshot, you’ll notice the stars in the background. If you want to customize the background picture, you can replace the jpg image in the program folder:
If you want each desktop to have it’s own wallpaper, you can change the wallpaper for that desktop by switching to the desktop and then set the wallpaper the normal windows way.
I found that the transitions are just a little bit slow (especially on older hardware), but tolerable. I probably wouldn’t use this on a regular basis, but it’s a nice piece of eye candy to show off. Note that this is the same guy that made the Visual Tooltip software I wrote about before.
Update: This software is no longer free. I’ve updated the link to the new site
Download Yod’m 3D (trialware)
- › Roundup: 16 Tweaks to Windows Vista Look & Feel
- › Another Desktop Cube for Windows XP/Vista
- › 10 YouTube Features You Should Be Using
- › Don’t Buy a Wi-Fi Extender: Buy This Instead
- › 10 New Windows 11 Features You Should Be Using
- › Should You Turn Up the Transmit Power on Your Wi-Fi Router?
- › Can a Magnet Really Damage My Phone or Computer?
- › Which Smartphone Accessories Are Worth Buying?