Firefox has a ton of shortcut keys, but this is one of the most useful. I had written before about how to select a specific tab with a keyboard hotkey, which I use to easily switch back to my RSS reader of choice (Google Reader).
Today I was wondering how I could quickly close a tab that I had opened. When using Google Reader, using the “v” hotkey will open up the currently selected item in a new tab. I wanted a simpler way to close the tab than having to hit Ctrl+F4, which is a little more difficult to use.
Here’s the shortcut key to quickly close a tab in Firefox:
Ctrl + W
This key combination is much easier to use.
- › Quick Hits: 11 Firefox Tab How-Tos
- › Keyboard Ninja: 21 Keyboard Shortcut Articles
- › The Best Tips and Tweaks for Getting the Most Out of Firefox
- › Keychron Q8 Mechanical Keyboard Review: An Advanced Keyboard for All Uses
- › Lenovo ThinkPad Z13 Gen 1 Review: A Vegan Leather Laptop That Means Business
- › 7 Features Android Should Steal From iPhone
- › 10 Awesome iPad Features You Should Be Using
- › Shift+Enter Is a Secret Shortcut Everyone Should Know