It doesn’t happen a whole lot these days, but sometimes you might run across a website that requires you to have Real Player to play media content on a page. Today we take a look at Real Alternative, which lets you check out the media content without installing the obnoxious bloat.
The Problem – Real Player
The problem is RealPlayer which can be a lot of extra bloat to deal with just to watch the occasional RM file or online content. While it may not be as adware ridden as it was a few years ago, it’s far more than you need just to watch play some online content.
Of course it still likes to leave advertisement popups on your desktop, which is completely unacceptable from any program.
Real Alternative is completely ad free and allows you to play RealMedia files (.ra .rm .rmvb .ram .rpm .rv .rp .rt .rnx .smi .smil) without having to install the bloated RealPlayer. It installs the right plugins to support RM content that is embedded in Web pages. It also comes bundled with Media Player Classic which you can use on your desktop for playing RM files.
After installing, you can go through and set it up according to your preferences.
If you find a site that requires RealPlayer to watch embedded content right click and select Real Player.
It opens up with Media Player Classic to watch the video.
This is definitely a lot better solution than dealing with the huge bloated annoyance of RealPlayer.
- › Multimedia Mania: Windows Media Player Turns 30
- › The 10 Best Netflix Original Movies in 2022
- › What’s New in Windows 11’s 22H2 Update: Top 10 New Features
- › T-Mobile Is Selling Your App Activity: Here’s How to Opt Out
- › NZXT Signal 4K30 Capture Card Review: Lossless High-Quality Footage
- › “Atari Was Very, Very Hard” Nolan Bushnell on Atari, 50 Years Later
- › A World Without Wires: 25 Years of Wi-Fi