Amazon’s Prime Day officially starts at 3PM EST today, but as always, the real deals are deeply discounted Amazon products, and this year that includes smarthome devices like Ring, cloud camera, and security systems.
There will surely be many great Prime Day deals on thousands of products, and it’s certainly smart to do some shopping and see if you can snag something you need at a deeply discounted price. Our sister site Review Geek will be doing a roundup of the best deals, so you’ll definitely want to check that out.
But Prime Day should be thought of for what it really is: a huge marketing event to push Amazon’s own products and offer them at prices so cheap it’s hard to not pick some of them up. Want to try out Amazon’s Alexa? You can get an Echo Dot for $30 today, which is 40% off the regular price of $50. The Fire Stick is down to $20 after a 50% price reduction, so if you don’t have a streaming device, it’s hard to say no to that.
The other purpose of Prime Day, of course, is to get people to sign up for Amazon Prime in the first place. If you don’t have a membership, you can get a free trial of Amazon Prime.
Here are the best Prime Day deals we found on Amazon’s own products:
Amazon Echo devices with Alexa
- Echo Dot: $30 (40% off)
- Echo 2nd Gen: $70 (30% off)
- Echo Show: $130 (43% off)
- Echo Plus: $100 ($50 off)
- Amazon’s Cloud Camera: $60 (50% off) Note: This is a pretty amazing deal for a very high quality cloud camera that also works directly with an Echo Show.
- Toshiba 50-inch 4K Fire TV – $290 (28% off)
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro – $174 (30% off)
- Blink XT Home Security Cameras (up to 42% off)
- Kindle – $50 (38% off)
- Kindle Paperwhite – $80 (33% off) Note: if you’re getting a Kindle, this is the one to get, and that’s a fantastic price.
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote – $20 (50% off)
- Fire TV with 4K and Alexa Voice Remote – $35 (50% off)
- Fire TV Cube – $90 (25% off)
- Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet: $90 (31% off)
- Fire HD 7 Kids Edition Tablet: $70 (30% off)
- Note: All of the Fire Tablets are on sale today for deeply discounted prices.
There are, of course, a zillion other deals to be had, but if you want the very best deals, just head to Amazon’s Device Deals page, which is where you’re going to get the best discounts highlighted.
It’s also worth noting that if you’ve had your eyes on a specific Amazon device (or from a company they own, like Ring doorbells), you should check the product page today, because there are a lot of devices that have significant sales that might not be quite big enough of a sale to advertise, but still save you a ton of money.
As far as the rest of the stuff on Prime Day goes, it’s the same as Black Friday or any other huge recurring sale: Manufacturers are trying to get rid of their extra inventory, so they are going to mark down last year’s merchandise dramatically, which means that you can definitely find a good deal, but you’re also going to be wading through a ton of garbage products at the same time.