The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Your countries sayings...

(66 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by JKay
  • Latest reply from GaardCeteru
  • Topic Viewed 5246 times

JKay

Okay so this one really is Off Topic Lighthouse lol. I noticed reading through some of the forums that somebody from austrailia said something then had "(touch wood)" after that. Kinda like I would say "knock on wood" with trying to find wood to knock on, and if there's not any around use your buddies head, but anyway, thought it was interesting, and realized we have a lot of different countries that all speak at least a little english... you know where I'm going with this, just curious.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

"Well. I'll go to the foot of our stairs"! "Touch wood" is a common saying in England (and spelled "Touchwood", it is the name of Catweazles toad).

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

doesn't 'touch wood' mean close shave or similar?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

No. Try again :)

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

hmmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood
????

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes. For instance. You have just repaired your broken computer. Just before you switch it on, to see if your repair worked. You touch wood (for luck)

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Yes I agree :)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

haha great

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

lighthouse are you suggesting something here....#
:D

Posted 8 years ago

mpc104

here in the usa we say "knock on wood" (just my 2 cents)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that was stated in the first post. lol

Posted 8 years ago

JKay

we've got a lot of stupid questions sayings, like "there's no stupid questions just stupid people.", "The only stupid question is one that isnt asked.", and my philosophy "the only stupid question is one you already know the answer to!"

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

"doh"!?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

It is interesting that sayings seem to only work in the original language. I have tried several times to translate German or French sayings into American, but then people look at me as if I commited a crime or make that sweet/sour face.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

"Too many cooks"?
"A bird in the hand"?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

The full sayings are actually "Too many cooks spoil the mash" and "A sparrow in the hand is better than a pigeon on the roof"

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

In UK
Too many cooks spoil the broth
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

yes

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

A pigeon on the roof isn't worth anything to me, so saying something is better seems obvious. That one doesn't translate well.

Here in the US, knock on wood could be quite painful and touch wood is just...naughty!

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Hmm
about wood - i think I get your drift!

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

What? How does naughty come into it?

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Ok
I deleted this post because I realised how out of order it was
I'm sorry
And do feel bad

I hope I didnt offend anyone

DAmn, i seem to have written this kind of thing too many times recently :(

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Dearest Aleeve,

We're getting a little tired of having to mod you on a daily basis. Your cooperation isn't negotiable.

Scott

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

:(
Sorry

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Scott, try telling Aleeve "that dog won't hunt." A southern saying for something that's not going to work.

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

here in my country we say : "dog that barks doesn't bite" referring to some people that only threaten you but never really do the stuff they say...

I have always wondered what the sentence "grass is always greener on the other side" refers to?

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

The "grass is always greener" refers to envy. Someone who thinks everyone has it better than they do or if they were only somewhere else, their life would be better. Like looking over your neighbors fence thinking they live a better life than you do.

PS: Americans say "all bark and no bite"

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

In the US we also say, "His bark is worse than his bite", referring to the person who will threaten much, but do little. So very similar to GaardCeteru's saying.

@GaardCeteru: did you say what country you are from in South America? Can you at least tell us the primary language -- Spanish, Portugese?

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

ScottW, I don't see the difference in bark and bite:) Did you ever find out how to remote access Vista? I was following that thread closely then it just disappeared. I'd like that answer myself. Hope you are having a great vacation. I sure am!:) Don't worry though, I'll be "out of your hair" come Monday.

"out of your hair" = I won't be bothering you or pestering you or annoying you.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Granny, if you want to learn the difference between bark and bite then talk to someone who has been bitten!

Old threads never die, they just fade away...into the list of all threads. From the forum front page, choose "Latest discussions" from "Views" on the right hand side. Of course that thread about remote access has faded away to page 6 (as of now). Here's a link:
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/best-way-to-remote-access-vista-home-prem

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

tech granny
why wont me saying sorry work?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

"All bark and no bite". (England).

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Well i do mean it
Whatever you guys think
I am genuinely sorry

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Aleeve, I was just "pulling your leg"! That means I was joking or kidding you.

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

I know what pulling your leg means
and im glad
thanks granny :) (as i read that you would now like to be called!)

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

@ ScottW: I'm not from South America, I'm from Central America, El Salvador (country itself to be more specific) and the primary language is Spanish =P

About the "pulling leg" thing here it has to do with scaring someone.. like when some friend has been doing a prank on you or a joke you dont like much, you can tell them: "when I die I'll come back in the night to pull your leg for all you've done to me ;) " of course said on a friendly way doesn't sound that creepy lol.. although some people say it like they mean it.. THAT sounds creepy lol!

Posted 8 years ago

JKay

Ahh spanish, I took 5 years of it in school I remember the basics but my vocabulary in it dissappered!

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

GaardCeteru, thank you for sharing the "pulling leg" thing. I've never heard that definition before! When someone pulls a prank or joke on us, we say "when I die, I"ll come back to haunt you". It's always said in a friendly way! (not too many people believe in ghosts:)

JKay, good to hear from you. Hope you had a happy 4th! I've been using Spanish Language software for a year now and all I seem to remember is el carro:D. (Funny, I always seem to remember how to order beer!)

Posted 8 years ago

JKay

Well the 4th of July was just like any day here for me, worked 12 hours, was supposed to be home since the 1st!!! but they keep delaying me and whatnot, apperently helicopters and sand dont mix very well...

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

unlucky man :(
I saw on msnbc that the larger bases had bbqs and other things to celebrate the 4th
did you?

Posted 8 years ago

JKay

LOL no, we're off in a far corner of Iraq, no bbqs, we did have friday night fights though, a bunch of my friends went and boxed, beat the crap out of each other, interesting to watch, but not for me, they had some other stuff too, but nothing that tickled my fancy. I'll shoot some fireworks and have my own 4th of July when I get home lol. I need some excuse to wear my "kiss the chef" shirt.

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

hhaha

awesome :D

nice - i want one of those shirts!

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

@techgranny: Happens often, like many people here doesnt know how to order food in a restaurant in english or some other language but they sure know how to curse someone else's mother in some fair a mount of languages.. so they may know when you're saying something mean lol

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Rule 1. NEVER shout "garçon"

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

@ lighthouse: what does that mean? =O

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

In a French restaurant, when you need some service, you should never shout "garçon". It means "boy".
They get very annoyed. And you will get the worst service possible. (and they will probably spit in your food. (in the kitchen)).

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

:D

ewwww
Lighthouse did that once didnt he, he has personal experience? :P

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Before I go to a country. I learn the etiquette. So there.

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

(Lighthouse sticks out his tongue)

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

GaardCeteru, Do you have any practical advice for learning Spanish? I'm trying very hard, really I am. It goes in one ear and out the other. I'm starting to get frustrated with it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Oma, use the reviews as a guide,
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....=0&y=0

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Thanks Scott, I'm using Berlitz Learning System. Not working very well for me which is why I thought I'd ask a native speaker, might get a different angle.

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

There's always ESPN Deportes and Telemundo :)

And this works great too, I use it daily...
http://jlc-software.com/?page=internet_tv.html

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

I know about telemundo et al. We're not all fancy Vermont; we're the redneck Riviera, don't have digital cable:) I looked at that jlc link and have no idea what it is. Still interested in a native speakers opinion, aren't you?

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Shirley, just giving you ideas until she can reply.

JLC's let's you watch TV from around the world for free. It's one if the better designed TV apps I've used.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Now I understand what it is. Also, I know she's very busy and don't call me Shirley:D

In case anyone misunderstands, I've always wanted to say that! hehehe:D and lol hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midrADL_kHI

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

not trying to state the obvious or anything
but scott, why did you change your pic again?
i liked the little baseball dude, it added some character :)

these flowers, *tchah*

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

The 'little baseball dude' is Mr. Met,
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/ny...../mrmet.jsp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Met

All I can say is stick around, the avatars change but are always something I feel strongly about.

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

@Oma: Well I can recommmend it the same way I learned english.. listen to music, a LOT of music, look out for the lyrics try singing the song without them and so on, watch TV shows, watch the news, etc (if I know a bit about japanese is because I watch anime, listen to j-rock, etc, same way I learned english.. I dont speeak japanese and read kanjis tough! I always get in trouble when it comes to making sentences lol) Getting a native speaking teacher is great because they can tell you if you're wrong with pronounciation or grammar but if you're self taught I'd still recommend the music, watching TV shows hummm reading may be difficult at first but a dictionary is always handy and will aid you a lot since spanish is a very.. standard language =P I'd recomment poetry for starters =D is easyer to understand and has a much wider... uh.. vocabulary =P

Puedo ayudarte con lo que necesites (I can aid you with pretty much anything you need)

EDIT: Just read you dont have access to cable TV so I'd recommend youtube =D you can always find things from spanish people there =P try changing your flag to "Spain" or anything that has to do with spanish =P if you can read spanish then you can look for latin/spanish music videos, there are plenty of artists and from many genres =P

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

ok scott :)

im not american so i had no idea!

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Yes, I know.
He's just another obscure mascot. (There's a Mrs. Met too)

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Really!
I'll search them out :)

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

GaardCeteru

looks like techgranny didn't read my reply o.o

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

I did read your reply, you're an angel! I'm trying to find the right combination of Spanish music and television and you tube. When I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know:)

Posted 8 years ago

GaardCeteru

ok =D if you need any help just let me know n_O

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.