The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Yes, Changes are in progress.

(55 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 3129 times

The Geek

I'm working on rolling out the new theme... things might have moved around on the screen a bit, but the forum should mostly stay the same, other than the header section.

Will update with more.

Posted 9 years ago

ross

Outstanding new theme, I like it very much. Well done.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Jobs...very interesting.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Everybody keeps asking me about that... the link has actually been on the menu bar for a few months now, but it was so tiny before that nobody noticed it, I guess.

It's a partnership with Sologig... and it will likely be going away at some point.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

I like the larger font, much easier to read.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I agree... there's still a whole lot of theme problems I need to solve, but overall I think it's a step in the right direction.

Now that I finally have an integrated codebase I can start launching the new features for the site.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

Nice changes.
How did you come up with the header tab idea?
Also I thought of a couple other changes you could do:
1. Expand the length of the reply box to be as long as the post box. Then the contents of the post box will auto wrap the same as the reply box.
2. Add the forum search box to the header with an option to use it or the global site search. It's a little unintuitive that the forum only box is lower down the page.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

1) Totally agreed... not sure what happened with the new theme, but the post box needs to be fixed.

2) I'm still working that out... I don't like any of the search options very much. I can't customize the Google search at all, and the forum search is just lousy. I've been researching setting up a search engine that is actually part of the site, which could then detect what section you are on and search intelligently.

The header tabs seemed to make a lot more sense, so I played around with different styles until I came up with that.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Having the "text" under the ID's is a bit odd. Lots of wasted space, and the conversation doesn't flow as well as before.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Text under the IDs? I don't understand what you are talking about.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Sorry. Posts now start under our ID's (not to the right of (our ID's))

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Belay that Sir Geek. It was my fault. I reduced the size of the font, and it messed up the screen composition. Do I feel silly? Yes :)

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Interesting... I tested the new theme with virtually every browser with normal and large fonts... never thought to test with smaller fonts!

There is still an issue with Firefox 2 and large fonts... the screen doesn't scale quite right so there is wasted space on the right. Other than that I think I got most of the scenarios.

One of my major design goals was to make the whole site design work better for people with large fonts... seems like quite a lot of our readers use large fonts, so I wanted to make it a better experience for them.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I'm gonna take a nap for a few hours, since it's 7:30 AM and I've not slept yet... I think everything is under control, but feel free to report any issues in this thread.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

For me, it's lookin' good

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I noticed that the avatars sometimes make sideways movements when you open a thread. Maybe that's just my IE.
Update: Actually they are hopping back and forth, together with part of the heading.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@whs

I noticed that too... I seriously thought it was just cause I hadn't gotten sleep.

I'll fix it.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Thanks, It's not a big problem. Now we have an animated Forum.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i like it but was a little confused when i logged on this morning and was sure if my browser wasn't loading the page right but then i figured out that the theme was changed and now i am somewhat used to it.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I just noticed on the top of the page we have a much bigger Geek now - a full size Geek so to speak.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i just noticed that the post box was really small and not very centered. not really a problem but kinda wierd.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@whs: Yeah, one of the things I wanted with this design was to have a consistent logo/header, instead of geeks of varying sizes as you go through the site... it was inconsistent before which made it difficult to nicely add something like a site-wide login/logout link (or some of the new upcoming features)

@jack:
Yes, the post box should not be so small... I'm not sure what I screwed up in the stylesheet, but I'll have it fixed soon.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Here is another little problem: I like to use my Opera for the Forum, but I run into a little snag there. I posted the problem on the Opera Forum, but despite 53 viewings, nobody seems to know how to fix it. Anybody have an idea what that could be. Here is what I had posted on the Opera Forum:
"A Forum that I visit often (howtogeek.com) highlights all the threads that I have not yet looked at in blue. When I viewed the thread, it turns to black - at least that's how it works on IE. With Opera, it does not work. The threads stay blue. Am I missing a setting? Thanks for the answers."

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Do you have a custom font style set in Opera? That could override the default handling... You can look in Preferences \ Advanced \ Content \ Style Options \ Presentation Modes for the "My fonts and colors" checkbox... and you can set the fonts in Preferences \ Advanced \ Fonts.

It works correctly for me in Opera.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Thank you for the advice. But there is no special setting at all. I tried all permutations without success. Must be something else. But don't worry. I can always stay with my good old IE. My Opera is plain vanilla. I never changed anything.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

What version of Opera are you using? I'll make sure that I do more testing in Opera from now on, knowing that it's actually being used =)

Anytime I make any design change, I end up having to test in IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Opera and Safari. I haven't even tested the new design in IE8 yet...

Posted 9 years ago

whs

My Opera is 9.27

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

I have the same version of Opera for testing things.
I see the same thing.
The link does not turn black when you go back but if you go back and hit the reload button the link will go black.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Sure enough, I see the same problem now as well.

Works fine in Opera 9.5, but not in 9.27. I also figured out the problem, just have to figure out the solution.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

Just wondering, what is the problem?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

In opera the ?replies=x is missing on the end of the link for some reason. It's used to allow the browser to track which posts you've read, because if there's a new reply then the number is incremented and the browser knows that it hasn't been there, so it uses a different color for styling. Opera 9.27 seems to be triggering something that makes it not show up... I'm guessing there's something that opera does differently to make it not work right, but I'll have to trace through and figure it out.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Wouldn't it be easiest if I just got 9.5 - that seems to be the more recent release anyhow?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

9.5 is quite a lot better, I'd recommend it. I still need to fix the problem for other people, it'll just be a lower priority now =)

Higher priority is to fix the profile edit page... not sure what broke there, but I need to fix it.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

@whs: Maybe though it appears that 9.27 is the latest stable version of Opera and 9.5 is a beta version at the moment.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Thanks Geek and jd. I got 9.5 and it works. I know it's a Beta but if it crashes I can always reinstall 9.27. This data processing is a drag! I wish I had become a gardener. Old Chinese proverb:
- If you want to happy for a week, slaughter a pig
- If you want to be happy for a year, marry a woman
- If you want to be happy a whole life, become a gardener

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Great proverb!

I found 9.5 to be a whole lot faster, and works better with a lot of sites.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

fyi, I think I've fixed the problem with the avatars jumping all around, as well as the scaling issues in FF2.

You might notice I've also added a Quick Links drop-down box for quick access to various functions from any page under the forum. It's a nice way to go directly from a topic to a different forum or view.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Like the Quick Links, very sweet. I do have one small request, add a link to My Favorites under Views.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

You must be one of the only people using that feature... I'm planning on doing some major upgrades to that whole feature, because I think it has a lot of potential.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

I use it when I get involved in a post so it's easier to keep track of, especially when changing from the home to work pc's, or when it's time to follow up the next day and the board is all unread messages.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I think the favorites could really help the casual user as well, since it would help them more easily find their original post. It's a great feature that's just underused.

Posted 9 years ago

Smashpmk712

@ Bud, For that you can use the "Topics that I have participated in" link on the right hand side.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@Smash: It's also in the Quick Links drop-down now as well, so you can get to it from anywhere.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Yeah Smash, that's what I did at first, I just like it better because I can add and remove items so it tends to keep it much smaller and quicker to get to the ones I am working on.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I'll see about adding it shortly here.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Test post

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Done, favorites is now on the menu, statistics is removed since it's not really important.

Posted 9 years ago

mpc104

great job mr. geek

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

I just noticed the header on the views page is blue and clicking on one will sort the posts.
Is this a new feature or did I just not notice it before?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

It's not a new feature. It only sorts what is on the current page, not the entire view... so it's not entirely useful really.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

Hmm. Odd. Until I just reloaded the page your last post said it was by geekadmin with a penguin avatar who registered on April 1th.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Heh... I have that account only for testing... I forgot I was signed in on the wrong account when I replied. Oops.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

Ok, that makes since.
I'm not sure but I think the views header used to be black not blue. The color change was made me think it might be new.
It sounds like the header sort is another in a long line of half baked bbPress features. Like the blue topic links. Every time there is a new post every page link gets turned blue when the new post is just on the last page only.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Hey thanks Geek, that helped me out quite a bit, I hope it was relatively simple on your part!! How do you keep your cats, dogs, pigs and ferrets off you while you type (at home at least)? And why hasn't ICHC taken any of my submissions, I guess I don caption well....:-(

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i like the quick links idea haven't really gotten used to it yet but will master it in time

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.