How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - XP Mode Hangs in Virtual PC

(4 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by MrPisky
  • Latest reply from NicknameGT
  • Topic Viewed 10470 times

MrPisky

Hi all,

I have successfully installed XP Mode in VM Ware Player 3.0 thanks to an excellent article on this site. However, I wanted to compare that functionality with running XP Mode via MS Virtual PC, as my machine (HP Elite E9220Y, AMD Phenom II X4 910, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HD) does support hardware virtualization and I'm running Win7 Ultimate. I installed MS VPC and it seemed to integrate with XP Mode ok. However, at some point in the process of trying to get one of my old XP applications (Access Manager 2.0) installed, I was asked to reboot the Virtual PC/XP Mode after a .NET 2.0 update to XP. The XP Mode window of VPC hung up and now it won't allow a CTRL-ALT-DEL function at all. I've also tried CTRL-ALT-END and no go. The only thing it does now is go into hibernation when I manually close the VPC window. When I reopen XP Mode, it now takes about 3 minutes (before it was fairly fast) and it always results in a message that says it was unable to restore integration features and offers a retry or continue option. If I select retry the integration, it goes into hibernation. If I select continue, I get what looks like a black DOS screen with a flashing cursor, but no DOS prompt. It's completely unusable.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Virtual PC update, but that didn't have any effect. I didn't want to uninstall the XP Mode because I didn't want to disrupt the already-working-well VM Ware Player version of XP Mode.

Any help for this?? Thank you!!

Posted 8 years ago

MrPisky

Correction: If I select "retry" then it attempts to start the VM again and I get the "cannot restrore integration" message again. If I select "continue", then it hangs with the black screen.... It only hibernates when I close it all down.

Posted 8 years ago

MrPisky

Well, I just had to delete the XP Mode virtual machine and start fresh. I wasn't really sure how to do it and all the reference material I could find said the machine had to be shut down first before deleting. This was a problem for me because mine wouldn't shut down, it would only go into hibernation. So, I really had no choice BUT to delete the VM files. Once I did, I uninstalled/reinstalled the Virtual PC update and I was able to recreate XP Mode without disrupting my VM Ware Player 3.0 version which continues to run flawlessly.

This time, the .NET 2.0 update went through without a hitch. Unfortunately, the program I wanted to install doesn't work in the integration to Win7, but I have others that I want to try.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else who happens to encounter the same or a similar situation as I did.

Posted 8 years ago

NicknameGT

Hi, i know you already solve your problem. I has exactly the same problem and i found this link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/vir.....-down.html

This definitly help me, i get my Xp Back without reinstalling. Maybe help you the next time.

Greettings.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.