(Solved) - Won't Boot- System Recovery Options.. Need HELP

(19 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by helen08
  • Latest reply from rohitdas5
  • Topic Viewed 36409 times

helen08

I have a Gateway T-6836 laptop.

EDIT (specs): http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop.....88556.html

A day ago, my computer screen randomly froze when the welcome screen came up (the one that shows up before my desktop loads) and stopped loading.

So I've done the systems repair because it was recommended a few times, and one time, I was actually able to log in! Shortly after, however, my computer froze again, and I forcefully shut it down. I thought that I would be able to boot again. It froze as I was looking up Raid Controller Drivers because a window opened up saying that I was missing it. It had something to do with languages I believe.

Now, when I get to the systems repair (recommended) again.. it doesn't automatically go through my computer and and check everything and try to repair. It went to a black screen with a moveable mouse. I would wait for a few hours to see if anything changed. It didn't so I would forcefully shut down again and turn it on. I would get the same black screen and mouse, but late last night, I saw a different screen.

It said Systems Recovery Options. I don't remember what the first option was. It wasn't anything complex because I wouldn't have chosen next. After, I clicked next it says "select an operating system to repair and click next." There wasn't any options listed so I chose load drivers. Another windows popped up saying add drivers "insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver."

I don't know what installation media it's referring to. I'm trying to avoid using the Operating System Disc that the laptop came with because I really want to save my Documents and Pictures. (I made backup files for them last year, but I tried loading them up to my dad's computer, but they won't!)

I read this thread already (which is the closest to my situation BY FAR), but I'm hesitant to try it out because when I click 'Load Drivers,' I actually had a windows pop up.
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/system-recovery-options-help

What should I do? Please help. I would really appreciate it.

-Helen

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

hi helen08, Have you tried booting in safe mode? If successful You can save all your important data then proceed with the repair

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

Thanks for the reply.

Getting to the Safe Mode option is what I've been aiming for, but I don't know how to unless that option presents itself in a list. Is there another way to boot in Safe Mode?

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

When you power your system up start tapping the F8 key. There should be several options and safe mode should be one of them.

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

So I got the boot screen with the Safe Mode options to come up. yay :)

But as it was loading some things it restarted on its own and didn't go into the safe mode.

If I try F8 again but choose 'last known good configurations' would that be safe to do? Do you think that might work?

-Helen

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

you can try that and see if you windows loads

EDIT: What did it do as you said it didn't go into safe mode?

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

It didn't say anything. It was just loading some of the drivers and then, the screen went black and I went to the screen with the systems repair or start normally screen again.

Loading Windows Files
there was a lot listed and it stopped at this one before the screen went black:
Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys
please wait...

Unfortunately, the last known good configuration didn't work either. It automatically restarted my computer again.

-Helen

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

you may need to download this
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
and burn to cd then boot your system copy or move your important files / data.
Then you can try the load drivers option.
Here is some info on the last driver to attempt to load and hung your system
http://www.removespywareguides.....emove.html

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

Thanks. I'll try this, and let you know. This might take a few hours though.

By the way, does it matter if I burn it to a CD or DVD?

EDIT: nevermind, haha I'll just use a CD.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

helen08, One other thing you can try once you boot with the Unbuntu disk and after you get all your important data is to remove this file (avgidseh.sys) to a temp location and see if you can boot in safe mode again. This file is associated with AVG security systems ( antivirus /internet security, etc). The link discusses file and location in windows. lol
http://www.freefixer.com/library/file/63644/

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

Hi!!

So I've loaded the Ubuntu on my computer and I'm in the process of backing up all my files :D. I'm sooo happy. Thank you so much!

About the AVG security systems file,, I had trouble with that anti-virus earlier this semester because it was making multiples of something which ate at my disk space. There was some flaw in the system that only certain people encountered.

Should I attempt to remove it with Ubuntu running?

Again, Thanks A LOT. You made this process a lot less stressful.

-Helen

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

Do you think it'll be okay to just delete the sys file with Ubuntu running?

-Helen

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Suggest you just move it to a folder on a flash drive for now. You can always delete it but if your AVG really needs it you have it. Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Posted 7 years ago

studio

HI Helen08,
When you try to reload windows, I suggest you choose to upgrade windows from a previous version, as this will replace all your registry files but it should not remove any programs, documents and settings. I know that you have now backed up all your documents, etc. but if this option works then you won't have to go through the process of reinstalling all your programs that you use from day to day.
This will work, even if you have already have windows vista installed.

Hope this helps :)

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

@studio, the OP was going to reload all drivers but needed to save her data first. Your suggestion is good if the reload driver option doesn't work. The other thing is if the OP doesn't have the $$ to get an upgrade.

Posted 7 years ago

studio

@ germ-x. I was giving this suggestion as I knew that the OP had already saved her data. I was giving this suggestion in order to save her all the hours of reloading everything back to the way that she wanted. Also, you don't need to buy an upgrade package. She already has got windows Vista, and when she gets to the page that gives the option either to upgrade the package, or custom settings, she should choose upgrade package. This will replace all the registry items and the drivers, but will keep the programs and documents. The OP does not have to buy an upgrade package.
This will work, with a windows Vista disk when you select to boot from this disk at boot up.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

@ studio, my misread as I thought the OP would have to shell out $$ for an upgrade. The load all drivers from the repair disk should have given her the same results, correct?

Posted 7 years ago

helen08

Thanks so much for your help! I got everything out. I think my dad did what @studio told me to do. He installed XP then upgraded to vista. Unfortunately, everything is gone. I'm re-downloading everything as I type. My computer acts differently though.. it's not the same. haha.

Thank you!

Posted 7 years ago

rohitdas5

Try this to disable avg: ( best solution possible)
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/av.....4159#posts

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.