How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Wireless slow to connect

(26 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Drizzle
  • Latest reply from Drizzle
  • Topic Viewed 2840 times

Drizzle

Hi
All of a sudden for no reason, Wireless is taking ages to connect.
If I click 'check and diagnose' while waiting it suddenly connects OK( and eventually the box says no fault found)

Also it is only showing as Connected but not security connected.

Have run usual scans and have not changed any firewall settings.

Have also checked 'startup' but nothing unusual there either.
Any help always appreciated.
Kate

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

Kate, who is your ISP? is the connection wired on a desktop via DSL or cable? if it is all of the above :-) it might be your router coughing up singal from your ISP what i mean is the uplink might be crupted and by the time it hits your router it looses steam. i had that when i had DSL anyway, i might be way off base here.

John

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

Hi and Thank you.
ISP BT UK.. just wireless to laptop from wall sockets.

It is really strange that it just started suddenly for no reason at start up everything but the wireless does not connect it sounds as though there is something still trying to load, and then as I said it will kick in...

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

i heard wall sockets are good and bad depending on the building or house might be some interfearance popping up i don't know.

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

Lol!!! "good or bad" will again unplug everything and try again.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

It's always best to reboot the router first, that may just clear it.
2 other things to try;
In the command prompt type 'ipconfig /flushdns' without quotes.
And if no joy there, in your browser address bar type 192.168.0.1 that should get you into the router. Login details will be on the back of the router (user / password). Now try changing the channel.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

bobro

no trampaling on johns suggestion as it still might be valid, but i wouldnt suggest looking at ISP as the wireless network is not really your ISP's side of things, you should still be able to connect to your wifi withought internet even connected.

I would remove the saved connection and recreate from scratch on the PC (you will need to know your user and password for the wifi)

Posted 7 years ago

bobro

ooooooo, I like mikes suggestion (it wasnt there when i started typing mine)

remember a friend had same problem and i fixed it by changing the channel... can be caused by a neighbors wifi interupting yours i beleive...

This is something you can get your ISP to do for you if they supplied the router. or at least they will talk you through it...

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

Yes, the suggestion came about because it cured my problem. The school opposite me caused me a lot of problem because they were on the same channel. Between 9am and 9.30 my router used to drop out when the little 'darlings' logged onto the net to register.
Other wireless devices in the house can cause probs, like wireless cctv which I have too and cordless phones.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Another possible cause would be not channel related but the connection point itself. Unless you've set wireless to ALWAYS USE the preferred connection it will switch to a different one IF the signal were stronger. It is was unprotected you would connect. Could this be the cause as that connection were lower speed?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

Kate, can do Teamviewer tomorrow morning if problem is not resolved if you wish.
Is it easy for you to connect via ethernet?

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

thank you bobro, i was merely suggestiing that if she is using wall sockets it would interfere with the singal from the sockets and the router i may be way off based here as she is in the UK but common sense would tell you that if you was using wall sockets with the power coming out of it may intercept the singal between the sockets to the router. i do realize that it shouldn't be her ISP but it could be depending if she has DSL or cable and how reliable of a connection that she gets. i know when i had DSL here it kept on dropping every other day and stayed off for sometimes for 4 days even wired i finally gave up and went with cable and i have never looked back since. Kate, i would check the sockets too just to be on the safe side.

john

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

When you say "all of a sudden" does that mean yesterday, today, a few days ago?
When you do finally connect do a speedtest. Are the results what you feel good/ bad. If good then another thing to think about is reloading your wireless adapter drivers.
If bad then you might want to give your ISP a call. Their signal might be low.
Have you checked what Irv posted. If your jumping to an unsecured connection then it possibly could be your router allowing this to happen. Rebooting might take care of it but you need to select your secure connection are set properly.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

John, that is a good point. We have them in the UK and they just don't wanna communicate sometimes!
I'm not sure what Kate's setup is, but I know it's adsl. I assume they are connected to one of the BT hubs they supply. There are so many variants but a call could mean a pretty swift delivery of a new updated model. That is what you pay for; complain, the ball is in their court as it were.
I am with Virgin Media fios, and after having probs and complained, new router sent out and after a few probs noted above is now working fine.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

GRR!!!!! Ok guys!!!!
This started 2 days ago approx...
I have always got connected almost immediately,till now.
It looks to me as though something????? is still trying to load as, it eventually will connect to wireless hub without interference.BUT is unsecured.

Spent over an hour with BT this morning, and had to give up as they could not link into my computer and at the moment I do not have a lot of spare time.
This afternoon I attempted another go with BT ,they got the wireless to be secured....THEN
When I try again it is back to a long time to connect and still unsecured.
BT say it is not the HUB as we do get through and the wireless does eventually connect.
EDIT.....Forgot to say yes it will connect with leads but then again it connects without them Doh!!!!!!Just takes an age and still unsecure.

Mike I will e. mail you.
Kate

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

Mike, thanks for the ego boost :-) but i thought about it last night any power device that's depends on power to run no matter if it's a wall socket or a router you will get some feed back between the two. it's like having a 24 mhz phone on the same channel of your router it will try to send the same amount of radio waves as the router does same pricinple here with Kate. As far as ADSL goes if it drops like mine did you won't have any singal going from the modem or the router or lastly the wall sockets.

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Make sure you are connected to the correct signal (SSID name). You wireless app (or Windows Zero Configuration) should show you. If it is not secure, there is a good chance Windows switched to another signal.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

Update!!!!!
Well after all suggestions, talking with BT and Dear Mike.
BT did further tests and found nothing wrong with speeds , Hub etc,suggesting it was lappy prob.
I tested with Hubbys lappy and hey presto Yep!! Wireless connected almost immediately,.

Back on my lappy ran full scans with all the usual plus my own Bullguard all Clear.Did a defraggle no probs, did a restore. checked all updates, checked drivers.....All to no avail..

Sooooooo, what did I do, scrapped everything and did a Macrium restore,and Wireless now almost instant...

If anyone can suggest what may have been happening, would be interested, as it would appear to be a lappy prob and not router etc...
Kate.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Maybe an update of some kind, or a newly installed program ?

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

How could I have checked ?????

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Not easy, but if you can remember anything you did, just before it got slow, that would help. Or search by Date all the likely Folders for suspects suspects.
I hope you do not have any anything set to Update automatically.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

+1 for macrium! Got me out of trouble a few days ago, again

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

You two will want to slap my hands cos can you believe it, I ordered the hdd from amazon back in October, cos the price was good, they are still awaiting shipment Lol!!!

So I used the same Macrium DVD,as previous AND AGAIN, I was ready with the 10 dvd's to do the restore, and hey presto after just
the number 1 disc and 25 Mins, Computer back to normal...
( I handle this DVD very gently especially as it has worked on these two occasions LOL!!!)

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Make a copy, quick.

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

yeah QUICK!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Posted 7 years ago

Drizzle

:) :) I ain't touching it LOL!!! But will be buying a fresh lot of DVDs tomorrow as I will wait for the Deal from Amazon LOL!!!!!Then I will do a fresh Macrium image.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.