The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

winhlp32.exe

(17 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by bogaty
  • Latest reply from Gandalf
  • Topic Viewed 4406 times

bogaty

My employer has me using an older design program which uses .HLP files. For some reason, my Vista machine at home cannot open said files. When I try to do so, I get the following message:

[quote]Why can't I get Help from this program?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in Windows Vista.

For more information, see Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) is no longer included with Windows on the Microsoft support website.[/quote]

I went to the MS support website and downloaded the two .msu files:
Windows6.0-KB917607-x64.msu
Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu

When I try to install either of them, I get the following error message:
"The update does not apply to your system."

Any tips?

I've gone and swiped a copy of the WinHLP32.exe file of the Win XP computer at work. Thais allows me to open .hlp files from the desktop, but not from within the program itself.

Posted 10 years ago

Gandalf

My best suggestion is to get a version of the design program that is Vista compatible.
What is the name of the design program. I'll help you find a source for the program, if I can.

Your WinHLP32.exe is not accessible from within the design program probably because you just copied it onto your desktop and didn't install it. So, the registry doesn't really know it's there.

Posted 10 years ago

bogaty

It's a shareware hydraulics modelling program from the EPA. The files are there. I can go into the directory and access them with the winhlp32.exe file I copied from the office PC running XP. I just can't access them from within the program itself.

http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/wswrd/dw/epanet.html

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

The reason for this is the WinHelp system was replaced starting with Windows 98 to the newer HTML Help system and most programs have since switched to it and Microsoft removed it from Windows Vista as it's not used much anymore.
Because Microsoft knows that some older programs still use WinHelp, they provide a special version of it that runs on Windows Vista.
There are multiple versions of for different system types and service packs.
If you list what system type and service level you have, I will try to find the version you need.
The information is listed at Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> System.
If you have a service pack installed, it will appear under "Windows edition" and if you don't have one installed then you will not see see "Service Pack [Number]".
For "System Type", it's listed under "System".

Posted 10 years ago

bogaty

Windows Vista Home Permium
Service Pack 1
64-bit OS

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

That should be the file Windows6.0-KB917607-x64.msu listed at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6ebcfad9-d3f5-4365-8070-334cd175d4bb&DisplayLang=en

My only guess as to why the file wouldn't work is if you got the file for Windows Server 2008 with the same name from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0468fefd-b54f-4c57-8340-c6dd2ec20c0a

Unless it's not compatible with Service Pack 1 but I have Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 too and that update file is installed and working for me so the download should be compatible.

Posted 10 years ago

bogaty

That is the link I used previously. I tried again and got the same error message informing me that the file does not apply to my system.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

Hmm. I'm not sure then. Maybe the installer will only work on Windows Vista sans SP1 and then SP1 will keep it when upgrading but not install after SP1 if it wasn't there before.
If that was the case I would have thought Microsoft would release an updated update installer.
I'll look and see if I can figure out a way around it if that is the problem.

Posted 10 years ago

Gandalf

Since your program is government issued, I won't be able to find another source. *We only have one government* (:~)
If you haven't, you might inquire with them as to if they have a Vista version. Or, if the software in the download section of the URL is meant to work with Vista.

Hopefully, Justin will find a solution in the direction he's looking.

Good Luck

Posted 10 years ago

Gandalf

I may have beaten Justin to it. Ha, ha.

WinHlp32.exe for Windows Vista
I obviously haven't tested it, so let us know if it works.

Good Luck.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

@Gandalf: Unfortunately, that page links to the same Microsoft download page at I found before.
Every search I've done on Microsoft's site for Windows Vista and the 64-bit edition leads me to the file Windows6.0-KB917607-x64.msu but it doesn't seem to install for bogaty and I'm not sure why.
I've found that you can rename the file to Windows6.0-KB917607-x64.cab and then see all the files within the update package as it's just a normal cabinet archive file but as of yet I don't know how to modify so it will install for bogaty.
Other then that I know think the file will install on Windows Vista without SP1, Windows Vista with SP1 and Windows Server 2008 but the installer just refuses to install after Windows Vista SP1 is installed (what bogaty is trying to do) but will stay if installed before SP1 is installed (which is what I believe I had done, I installed this update first as SP1 wasn't out at the time).

What I really don't understand though is if it won't install after Windows Vista SP1 is installed, why Microsoft didn't release an updated file which is what they usually do in a case like that.

Posted 10 years ago

Gandalf

Justin, I just install from my link without any problem.
I have Vista x86 with all the updates etc.

There is one possibility no one has mentioned as to why it won't install for bogaty.
No offense, but you need a Genuine Microsoft Windows copy of Vista 32-bit for it to work.
It's possible that that is the catch.

Posted 10 years ago

bogaty

My version of Vista is legit but it is 64 bit.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

Gandalf, I would have mentioned it but due to the fact that you can't download the file in the first place without passing the genuine test, means bogaty had a genuine copy.

Also the error message "The update does not apply to your system." means that the [url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307]Windows Update Stand-alone Installer[/url] thinks the update does not apply to his system.
There could be a number of factors which cause this, from having the wrong system type download, to the wrong service pack level or even another update that is blocking the install of this update.
I was working on the theory that it could be the service pack level but I don't know that for sure.

Posted 10 years ago

bogaty

I have been having a problem with Windows Updater as well (as posted in another thread on this forum.)

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

I just looked and saw the topic [url=https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-update-error-1]Windows Update Error[/url] that you did.
Somehow I missed that topic before now. If you can't use Windows Update then that would explain this problem as an MSU file is basically the same as an update from Windows Update with the difference that you can only get it though download.microsoft.com via a normal file download instead of the Microsoft Windows Update system which uses the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), a more efficient system to distribute critical updates.
They both use the exact same update scanner and installer.
I will take a look at your other topic and see if I can figure out that problem first as it may solve this one.

Posted 10 years ago

Gandalf

Sorry. I've gotten so use to trying to make a computer work via forums, only to discover the OS was not legal, that I'm seeing demons where there are none. Thanks, Justin, for putting back on track.

I think I'll leave this aspect of the issue in your capable hands.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.