How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Windows xp not shutting down

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by DejaVu
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 5562 times

DejaVu

Hi,
When I log off and shut down my notebook, it stays on the blue "windows is shutting down" screen. When I went to turn it on late this afternoon, it was still on that screen from the night before (!)

I turned it off by holding in power button, waited about 10min, turned it back on & it seems fine, no safe mode, no pop-up, nothing. Used it for awhile, couldn't find anything wrong - but sure enough, when I tried to shut it down it did the same thing, and ended up forcing it to turn off again. It's on again now and like before it didn't boot into safe mode or anything, it seems fine.

It's an Asus Eeepc notebook with xp home edition and AVAST - any suggestions very much appreciated!

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi DejaVu ,

Open a command prompt in admin mode and type sfc /scannow, let it run then restart your computer in safe mode, try to shut down, if it works start up normally and see if it corrects it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

keshav37a

maybe your pc has heavy programs running

*close those programs (using taskmgr) first then try shutting down
*use chkdsk to check ur windows hard drive for errors
*disable unnecessary services which start on startup (type services.msc in run and press enter)
*and check ur pc for viruses\trojans

Posted 6 years ago

DejaVu

GuiltySpark - ha! It worked! Thanx you are awesome :) thanks Keshav37a too, cause I also DID have some majorly unnecessary crap running.

Posted 6 years ago

DejaVu

Ooooo... Least I hope it was unnecessary ....lol

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Glad it worked for you and you can always start a new topic with regards to what is unnecessary. :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.