The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Windows XP not running programs, hanging.

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by logically
  • Latest reply from Zagreus
  • Topic Viewed 1347 times

logically

Hello friends,

My XP box has me so puzzled. I have been playing with it for 4 days now and I can't figure this out.....

on the 26th I suffered a virus attack and between SAS Mbam and avira I rounded up like 12 or so viruses and malware objects.

I thought everything was good... But now its running slow... and won't let me open things.... Stuff works when I first power on but performance degrades rapidly and soon nothing opens. I will click a program like firefox and it will give me the symbol like its going to come up, then it never does. Also it won't shutdown either. Either it gets to just my wallpaper and hangs, or gets to the saving your settings screen and hangs. And that's only if I type shutdown in command prompt (if I can even get the command prompt to open....) If i click shutdown it acts the same as If I'm trying to open a program. Same if I try to bring up task manager.

Today it did something even different. I was trying to find the problem and playing with different things when things quit responding as usual... so i clicked shutdown. Well it was the weirdest thing... all of a suddent my computer was alive again and all the things I had tried to open in the last 10 minutes all opened up. including like ten task managers and various other control panel items I was trying to access...

I closed out of those things thinking I was good to go again... and now I'm right back where I was...

Anyone have any clue what is going on here??? I'm pretty frustrated cause I can't use my XP box for anything and its my favorite :(

Posted 7 years ago

Fernguy

Try running scan now command prompt
sfc /scannow
Scannow

Posted 7 years ago

Zagreus

If the above post doesn't work, boot into safe mode and try chkdsk. you may have to reboot the pc.

Edit...Look here. http://www.microsoft.com/resou.....x?mfr=true

Edit again. Follow these instructions for safe mode.

1.First, boot the computer into safe mode with command prompt. To do this, start the computer, and immediately begin pressing the F8 key at one second intervals. You may have to press several times until the boot menu comes up.

2.Use your arrow keys to choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press enter.

3.The computer will begin booting.

4.Click Ok to finish loading. A black command window will appear with a c: prompt.

5.At that c: prompt, type chkdsk c:/r and press enter.

6.Check disk will start to run but then it will say:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N). Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take a while to finish depending on your HD).

7.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files.

8.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows. Hope this helps.

Daveh.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

logically

Well Daveh I decided to try your option first... I seem to have a stable system now... I am going to run a couple tests

Seems that chkdsk did its job... Must of been some corrupted data effing up my system and not a virus.... Thank you very much :)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

logically, you have not answered,
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=3

Posted 7 years ago

Zagreus

LH. Your link is broken.

Daveh.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.