The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Windows XP Home - Slow boot-up and slow applications

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Iwanthelpplease
  • Latest reply from Iwanthelpplease
  • Topic Viewed 6417 times

Iwanthelpplease

I the past 3-5 days now my Windows XP Home sp3 has slowed "WAY" down. Right now the average bootup time is approximately 4-5 minutes minimum. And, on top of that ... launching and running of most of the applications on my computer are now slowed down. I am considering a "clean install" and just start over; which is most likely the best thing to do. Without getting into the system details and such, I am asking if you can give me some insight into things I can check before I just completely erase everything and start fresh? I really hate these clean install because it takes me 2-4 days just to get everything back on the computer .. especially putting all the MS updates back in. Anyway, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

For starters, open up MSCONFIG and see what is ACTUALLY starting. Some recent install might have put some programs into autostart. These programs will take up memory and could cause swapping, which is what I suspect has happened. Without at least the RAM size you have, hard to tell.

There are other programs you can get too, What's My Computer Doing is a good one (google for it), it will show you what is active. With that info, we can tell more too.

Depending on h/w, that boot time might not be unreasonable. If you are swapping, other stuff isn't unreasonable too.

I assume you have run Malware and virus sweepers and know you are clean as well.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

Iwanthelpplease

Right now if appears as if the problem, or problems, may be with the XP OS. When I start, or reboot, the transition from the CMOS to the Windows load screen is (or appears to be) ok. The transition time from the beginning of the loading of XP to the Windows start screen and welcome screen is about a minimum of 2 to 3 minutes or more. After finally getting to the desktop everything appears to being working. The main problem is that now launching and running applications is slow. Accessing the Internet and browsing is ok. Does not appear that there is any real slow down. I can boot in SAFE mode with no problem. The boot time here is pretty much about normal. One thing I have noticed, among other things, is that, for example, before this problem I could perform disk defrag or run Acronis for a backup and times were good. The average time to do a full backup with Acronis was about 6-8 minutes. Now it takes over a hour to do the same thing. I think something is causing this extreme slow down within the Windows OS and I just don't know where or what it is. Maybe some file(s) have been corrupted (or changed). I just don't know. I have run virus checks and such .. nothing detected. As for the "What's My Computer Doing", I have SysInternals Process Explorer which I believe is the same thing. I just wish (and there probably is) there was something I could use to TEST or CHECK what the computer is doing at STARTUP or REBOOT. I am considering first to reformat the HDD and use Acronis to restore the last backup to see if that corrects the problem. If not, then I will do a REPAIR using the XP CD. Then, if that doesn't work .... yikes .... "CLEAN INSTALL" !! It used to be that you could do SFC /Scannow. But that is for SP2. I have SP3. I don't think that there is a way to do SFC with SP3 installed. But anyway, that's the plan for now.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

You know your system and how it has operated.
Questions:
Have you installed any new software"
Have you checked your startup programs to see if anyone is causing this slowdown.
Have you run malware and spyware utilities.
Have you changed A/V software?
Here is a workaround for your SP3 if you don't have a disk with SP3 on it.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

One thing I'd do is IMAGE what you have now and then restore and older one. No change, put back the present image. If it works better, well, you could get updated files from the new image you just made.

You could get SOLUTO and install it and see the boot times for the various applications and services that get started. Might help find one that take a long time.

This really sounds like swapping is happening, but you didn't say how much RAM you have? Is what you have all being used? Look at the Task Manager Performance tab for that info.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

Iwanthelpplease

For germ-x .... did that, done that, no changes. Will probably try the SFC link you gave.

I just did a wipe and restore via Acronis. No change ... still slow. I suspect that there is a problem in the Windows OS itself. Maybe a REPAIR or clean install will help resolve the issue.

I don't know anything about "swapping" thing. I have looked at the "performance" and the memory - pages/sec is at an average of 95 percent or greater; even at idle state.

I tried SOLUTO before but that was before I had any problem(s). I may get again and try once more.

As for memory, I have 2gb ram and only 20-25 percent is being used.

I will log off here for now. I will most likely try the suggestions above and see what happens. Changes are I may ultimately end up probably doing a clean install again. Wish me luck.

Posted 6 years ago

Iwanthelpplease

I'm back and got some update. For anyone following this I have corrected the problem. Just as I thought, it was the Windows XP Home OS causing the problem of very slow booting and slow application running, etc. As to exactly what was messed up I don't know. What I did to correct this is do a REPAIR from the XP CD; not the Recovery Console. Unfortunately however, the XP CD was SP2. So I had to install SP3, IE8, Windows Media 11, the latest DirectX, re-install the missing patches/updates (about 105 of them) and had to restore some of my settings prior to the repair. Before the repair the average boot time was at least 5 minutes or more. Now, after the repair, it's back to "normal" (if there is such a thing) with a boot time average of approximately 1 to 1-1/2 minutes and, no application sluggishness. Two things I need to do next! First .... BACK THIS THING UP !!! Then, attempt to create a customized Windows XP Home CD with SP3, IE8, DirectX (if possible), all the up-to-date patches/updates/fixes; all integrated together on a bootable CD using nLite. I don't need all the apps and stuff. I was really, really, really hoping that I didn't have to do a "clean" install. Thanks to all those who responded to this thread. Happy computing !!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.