How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - windows won't start

(32 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by onestepawayfromarmageddon
  • Latest reply from onestepawayfromarmageddon
  • Topic Viewed 12075 times

onestepawayfromarmageddon

Hi there,
If any one can help with this problem, it would be much, much appreciated.

1. Turned on computer. Windows vista ultimate doesn’t start.

2. Am taken to “Windows Boot Manager” page, says –
File: BATTC.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

3. I F8 to go to Advanced Boot options menu/screen.

4. Tried to run safe mode. Final line shown on screen (as safe mode is trying to boot up) says –
load: windows\system32\drivers\compbattery.sys

Thereafter, am returned to the same “Windows Boot Manager” page

5. Tried safe mode with networking – same result.

6. Tried safe mode with command prompt – same result.

7. Tried “boot logging” – same result.

8. Tried “last known good configuration” – same result.

9. Tried also “windows memory diagnostic”. Result - “no problems”

10. I next downloaded a copy of neosmart’s vista recovery disc to get the windows vista startup repair tool. (This is my first computer, not knowing how to put everything/anything together initially, I asked the people at the shop where I bought the computer to put everything together for me (install windows, a-v, all programs I needed, etc), so that I would be able to open the box and use immediately. I thus received the computer with windows pre-installed, no windows discs supplied. The shop has since closed down, no known next-of-kin.)

11. Ran the start-up repair tool 3 times. Result each time – “cannot repair”.

12. Tried to do a “system restore”. But screen shows – “no restore points have been set up/available”?!?!?!?!?? Not sure how this came to be – from something the guy who set up the computer for me did/did not do, or from something else. (I had read that windows was supposed to automatically set up a restore point each time it successfully shut down) Anyway, not important the reason for no restore points available now.

13. Read on a post (somewhere) to try “command prompt: sfc /scannow”. Result – “not able to perform”.

14. So, as far as I can understand/establish, the problem lies with the battery driver. Have tried starting the computer with and without the battery (direct connection to wall socket via adaptor). No difference. Please don’t laugh if you knew this wouldn’t work – as i said, this is the first computer I have ever owned, and I am terribly new to all this. Just trying everything I can at this stage to avoid having to reinstall windows, and losing any information I had stored in C drive. If anyone can help with this, it would be a blessing. Thank you all very much.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi onestep... ,

Welcome to HTG ,

You could try booting with the Repair disc and when presented with the page of choices Memory Test, Command Prompt, System Recovery etc...

Choose the cmd prompt and type dir /s /a "c:\compbatt.sys"

Post back the info it gives.

Posted 6 years ago

A reply! a reply!!! hi there, and thank you, mr/ms. guilty spark!

the info given back was pretty long, and just as i had finished copying all of it, about quarter way through typing it out, i realized god had invented, in addition to computers, cameras...

there are two images here, both are exactly of the same screen shot -- results after typing in dir /s /a "c:\compbatt.sys"

https://picasaweb.google.com/113885333002207260610?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLQmYPUh4SevQE

...if you cannot make out what the screen in the pictures says, i can type it out in full for you.

thanks again!

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

What drive was your OS installed on ?

As it appears that it may have been D:\ is this correct ?

Only asking as the pic shows that C:\ has no Label (usually it will say Recovery).

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

Another idea, when you open up that command prompt, type in "chkdsk C: /R" (without the quotes). It'll take a long while, but a lot of times it can fix your filesystem errors. (If C isn't your OS installation, replace it with whichever drive letter it is.)

Posted 6 years ago

hi guilty spark,
c is the drive the OS was installed on. not sure about the "no label". that was rather of concern when i saw it.
might it simply have something to do with the way the computer was set up/named (lack of naming)?
the computer i bought from a shop in thailand, as i was living there at the time. and the people at the shop obviously were not english first-language speakers.
is the rest of the (results) info in line with what a healthily functioning computer would say/indicate?

ultimate psv,
thanks for the tip, am running your suggestion as we speak.
will post back any results.

Posted 6 years ago

have uploaded 10 new images that show the results of 1 run of the startup repair tool. the key pix are pix 1, pix 9 and 10 (battc.sys).

https://picasaweb.google.com/113885333002207260610?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLQmYPUh4SevQE

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi onestep....,

If you're sure your OS is on the C:\ then we will move on.

Insert your Repair disc again and boot from it.

Choose the cmd prompt option again and type dir /s /a "x:\compbatt.sys"

Please post a snip of that shot as it will make it easier the next time we contact (timezone difference, UK here).

We/you will need the snapshot in order to copy the files over to your C:\

Posted 6 years ago

hi ultimate,

ran the cmd prompt as you suggested, 2 images here:

tried to restart, comes back to the same windows boot manager page.

there is a slight difference, this time the info (after "File: BATTC.sys") says -

any thoughts???

thank you

Posted 6 years ago

roger that, guilty spark.

here are the results:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113885333002207260610?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLQmYPUh4SevQE under folder name "dir /s /a "x:\compbatt.sys" results".

i hope this is the snapshot you are referring to?

am very very sure OS was/is on C drive. fyi, hard drive had been partitioned into C, D and E drives.

might i inquire what (sort of) files we/i am copying over to c?

i ask this, i am not sure the following is relevant - i have (on an external HDD) a 5-month old copy of my C drive, and a 3-month old copy of my e drive (which houses my "more important" files).

but am not sure any of that is of any use, as windows is not running at all. was perhaps thinking that somehow we/i might be able to resurrect the entire computer, but from an external (HDD) copy/image? (if possible, of course, i would prefer not to lose any of the files in the computer since the last backup 5 months ago. i.e., that it might be possible to repair somehow the computer so that i do not have to use a 5-month old back-up?)

sorry if the above doesn't make any sense at all.
complete neophyte here.
i'll shut up now.

tell me what to do, maestro... i am in your hands

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

I was researching your issue onestep, and I would suggest using the command "sfc /scannow" in this recovery cmd prompt one more time, it might help. If not, try running the "chkdsk C: /R" one last time. If anything changes when you reboot, it may mean it's fixing your PC a little each time you run it. Other than that, GuiltySpark's instructions sound good. I think he's going to have you manually copy some driver files into your OS directory, since it sounds like you're missing important files that your computer can't boot without.

Posted 6 years ago

thanks guys!

really.

terrific to be receiving advice and guidance on this at a time like this.

will do as instructed, ultimate. and will post back results tomorrow.

thanks to each of you for all your time, your effort and research.
it is much much appreciated.

out for tonight, will update tomorrow as soon as i can.

Posted 6 years ago

hi ultimate and guiltyspark,

from cmd prompt -

results of "sfc /scannow" :
“Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.”

results of "chkdsk C: /R" :
uploaded to https://picasaweb.google.com/113885333002207260610?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLQmYPUh4SevQE
under folder name "chkdsk C: /R" results (2nd run - Jan8)".

quick summary: "Windows has checked the file system and found on problems."

results of attempt to reboot windows post chkdsk :
same status/error code as before - "Status: 0xc0000221"

...???

thank you

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi onestep...,

Do you have any partitions on the c:\ ? (for example are you dual booting).

Still not sure why you are not able to see the Vista label if that is the correct drive.

Need to make sure it isn't installed on D:\ just follow the above methods we went through to determine if there is anything on d:\

Posted 6 years ago

hi guilty spark,

no, no partitions (that i am aware of) on the c:\
no dual booting. ever.

done on d:\, and on e:\
see, for details -
under folder "jan 9 run"

also, as a note, the windows startup repair tool identifies c:\ as the drive housing windows as well.
see picture 1 in today's same folder.
would say i am 100% certain c:\ is the drive housing windows.

sorry for late reply today, all the scans above took a long time.

thanks

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

One more possibility I've found, try typing in:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

instead of just the first part of that. SFC may be trying to scan the recovery drive instead of the C drive.

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

onestep, Might be my eyes, but from pictures you posted, I did not see the result of "dir /s /a "c:\compbatt.sys" asked by GuiltySpark in his first reply. If the result is "no file found", in command prompt, try copying "compbatt.sys" from the recovery disk (X:\windows\system32\drivers\) to c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

Posted 6 years ago

hi ultimate,

thanks. suggested scan yielded results -
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

picture #2 posted at
under folder title "January 10, 2012"

g41m,

thanks for your post. the results of "dir /s /a "c:\compbatt.sys" (from guilty spark'S first reply) showed the presence of 6 files (0 dir) in c:\
the result can be seen the the posted pictures, the folder is entitled "dir /s /a "c:\compbatt.sys" results. it is the first folder of the second row on the posted page.

"dir /s /a "x:\compbatt.sys" found total 2 files. that result can be seen in the ""dir /s /a "x:\compbatt.sys" reusults" folder on the extreme right, in the posted page.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

onestep...,

You are going to have to copy the file from x:\ to do this copy this text :

copy x:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepositiory\acpi.inf_97916753 c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\acpi.inf_97916753

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

@GuiltySpark, Although not sure, I think the filename should be included in the source.

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

@G41M, I think the filename actually is "acpi.inf_97916753".

Posted 6 years ago

hi guys,
just a check, to make sure i am on the right path:

after i type in the string,
copy x:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\acpi.inf_97916753 c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\acpi.inf_97916753

the computer is bringing up a whole string of options, and i am prompted to (Yes/No/All) this whole series of commands.
please see pic under today's date (Jan 11)...

i take it i simply say yes to all/each one of them? all this is normal, no? before i accidentally blow up everything completely??

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

Yeah, it's just asking to overwrite the files, go ahead and type all.

Posted 6 years ago

thank you. will do.

Posted 6 years ago

done.

restarted computer.

same result.
pix at
folder is "Jan 11, 2012 Part II"

??? ...

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

I would say try to:
"copy x:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys"
then
"copy x:\battc.sys c:\battc.sys"

then if it doesn't boot, try startup repair again and let us know which files it says are corrupted now.

Posted 6 years ago

hi guys,

sorry for the delayed post. i ran everything (as indicated by Ultimate) yesterday, but got nowhere; so decided to give the computer the night to rest, and to start over and try it all one more time today (as a check) before posting anything.

i post first, yesterday's run, followed by results. pictures for this first sequence (yesterday's run) can be found at
under the folder name "Jan 12, 2012 sequence".

Yesterday's run:

1. started up the computer - okay, more accurately, TRIED to start up the computer. result: no response.

2. ran startup repair. result: same as before -- compbatt.sys and battc.sys corrupt (pic #1)

3. ran a directory search/listing/trace (?) to check files presence first. "dir /s /a "c:\battc.sys"" -- result: 9 files found (pic #2 & #3)

4. ran a directory search to check files presence. "dir /s /a "x:\battc.sys"" -- result: 3 files found (pic #4)

5. "copy x:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys". result: "1 file copied". (pic #5)

6. "copy x:\battc.sys c:\battc.sys". result: "The system cannot find the file specified" (pic #5 again)

7. tried to reboot the computer. result: same again (battc.sys, 0xc000021) (pic #6)

8. ran startup repair again. result: same as before -- compbatt.sys and battc.sys corrupt (pic #7)

questions:
1. why does the system not find the specified file when it is already shown listed in directory search?

2. (from my limited computer knowledge, mostly learning on the fly) isn't the command "copy x:\battc.sys c:\battc.sys" an instruction to copy ALL files which have filename ending "\battc.sys" (no matter what comes before the "\battc.sys", i.e., no matter in which subdirectories of x:\ those files are located) from the recovery drive to c:\??

3. if yes to both above, then why is it not working?

okay, today's sequence:
(pictures under folder "january 13, 2012 sequence")

1. tried to boot up the computer. result: same.

2. ran startup repair. result: same as before.

3. "dir /s /a "c:\battc.sys"" -- result: 9 files found (pic #1 & #2)

4. "dir /s /a "x:\battc.sys"" -- result: 3 files found (pic #3)

5. "copy x:\battc.sys c:\battc.sys". result: "The system cannot find the file specified" (pic #4)
"copy x:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\compbatt.sys". result: "1 file copied". (pic #4)

mmmhhhmmm...??....??...

6. "copy x:\windows\system32\drivers\battc.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\battc.sys". result: "1 file copied". (pic #5)

7. try to reboot, i guess.

8. let's see... how do you spell....e...u..---r.......e...---

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!

it works!!! it works!!!!!! it lives!!!!

this is unbelievable!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GENIUSES!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

this is unbelievable!!!!

9. pic #6 --- this is what success looks like!!!! :=) !!!

thank you so much guys, i owe each of you big time!!!
thank you so much. really.

i hereby proclaim to the online computing world: UltimatePSV and GuiltySpark are GODS!!!!
if bill gates doesn't hire you, he's an idiot!

thanks to each of you, and also to g41m, for all your help and input.
would not have been possible at all without you guys, no exaggeration at all. quite the understatement, actually. thank you so much.

if i might, can i possibly follow up with some simple questions on this, and also to see what (if any) other thoughts each of you guys might have at all on this (or similar) issue.

q1. how did this come about? did the computer somehow get infected by a virus which attached itself to and corrupted the compbatt.sys/battc.sys files? or did windows just wake up one day and decide to go on strike?

q2. does this happen often?

q3. i ask these to see if there is anything i can do in future, so i don't have to bother the GODS OF THE COMPUTING WORLD again.

but seriously, i run virus scans everyday with avast. and aside from them being able to update the profiles to the latest known viruses, there is not much more i can do, if it is a virus infection problem.
if on the other hand, it is something that happens every so often with windows, is there anything i can do, other than signing up to become a software engineer?

thanks again, guys... much, much appreciated!

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

q1. Electrons work in strange ways. Sometimes you get a shock from a kite string.

q2. It doesn't happen a lot considering the millions of computers in the world most of which work just fine. It just seems like it because all we hear about here are the problems. Folks seldom post, "My computers working fine. Just wanted you to know."

q3. We don't mind, thus the Maytag Man avatar.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi onestep....,

Glad you got things going again was gonna suggest the Battc file next but have had issues recently with net connection.

As for your questions, Xhi pretty much has it covered although I would say Q3. not much you can do other than the usual, avoid knocking your machine , don't spill anything etc... sometimes these things just happen. :)

Posted 6 years ago

thanks for the replies, guys.

okay, first order of business: set up restore point (and enable computer to set up automatic future points) on computer. Done

second, hey! windows vista ultimate has "windows complete pc backup and restore". that might help, i guess -- it's got to be better than my seagate drive program that backs up my c:\, then dodgily adds "backup completed, but with errors" (even though there are no active programs running while back-up is working).

a couple more questions, if i may:

if this or something like this should re-occur, would system restore (to a previous point before problem) solve/bypass this problem, or bypass the need to go into command prompt to solve the problem?
alternatively, would system restore have worked in this situation, had there been restore points on my computer available?

have a sense your answer might be "maybe, maybe not, have to try". thus perhaps more acurate question is : would it hurt (/have hurt) to use system restore to try to solve this (or "broadly" similar) problem, before going to command prompt? or would it be advisable to try to access command prompt first, before system restore (or going to startup repair tool)?

i think my broad question is, as a general guideline, where does/should the use of command prompt fall in the sequence of troubleshooting/repair attempts (for example, such as the sequence i had listed out in my initial post)? obviously, for the computer-inept, such as myself, not very high up that list, i suspect -- but more pertinently, if one knows the specific issue/problem, (e.g., battc.sys,) should one be trying to isolate that issue first and tackling that (with major help) in command prompt, or should one go for other general solutions such as "last known good configuration", "system restore" or even "windows complete pc restore" first?

how would you rearrange the sequence i had listed out (in that initial post), with or without the inclusion of the use of command prompt somewhere in that order?

i ask this, again, so that i do not eventually come to outstrip guiltyspark in terms of number of posts on htg. mine, of course, of the inane and problem-filled variety...

many thanks as well to all at htg who have enabled everything connected with this site, and forum, that have helped bring windows back to my computer.

Posted 6 years ago

UltimatePSV

Hey, onestep, I was happy to help. (It's fun!) And thanks for the compliment!
Just in case this happens again, I'd recommend you make an image backup of your computer just in case something like this happens again. You can burn a Linux Live CD to get your data out of your computer before you restore the image backup. (Any data put in the computer since the backup is wiped out when you restore the image.) A good program for images is CloneZilla.
What you'll do is backup the computer using CloneZilla, then keep the backup somewhere safe. In the event you have a boot problem again, you can boot from a Linux Live CD to copy your files over to an external hard drive. Then, you can restore your disk image using CloneZilla, and restore your files from the external Hard Drive.

Instructions for CloneZilla
Instructions for Linux Ubuntu Live CD

Let me know if you need more help!

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

ultimate!
thanls again, mate.
will look into ubuntu and clonezilla.
best of luck to you and guiltyspark on your adventures.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.