The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Windows won't install on new build

(8 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Bob5
  • Latest reply from Bob5
  • Topic Viewed 1375 times

Bob5

We recently built our first new computer. It booted up fine, but when we tried to install windows 7 it wouldnt recognize our 1 TB SATA hard drive (we also tried windows XP and that didn't work either, the hard drive DID show up in the BIOS). So we installed Ubuntu onto it, and that worked without any problems. Then we tried to install windows 7 again, but it just keeps ending up at a blank screen (we can still move the cursor). It goes through loading the files, then starting windows, then nothing but a blank screen. Do we need to partition the hard drive? Or did we forget to do something before trying to install windows?

Cpu specs(if this helps)...
Intel core i5 750 processor
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT graphics card
Western Digital green 1 TB SATA hard drive

Posted 9 years ago

mickeyblue

how long do you keep the PC on the blank screen? before turning off 1 min? is it a black screen or blue/what?
sometimes it takes a while for the screen to load, maybe 5-8mins, it happened on my PC.

Posted 9 years ago

Bob5

Well its currently still on the blank screen. And its been about an hour now...

The screen is completely black with just the cursor, which we are able to move around with the mouse.

Posted 9 years ago

mickeyblue

ok an hour is rather long, what version of 7 is it, where did you buy it?
do you have another computer just to use as a test PC, insert the DVD and see if it gets further than your new PC, if so then its something with the new PC, if not then its the DVD itself.

Posted 9 years ago

Bob5

Its the pro version of windows 7, we got it from a friend of ours who already used it to install windows 7 on their computer so the disk itself should work fine. We got another activation key, but we didn't even get that far yet.

This is going to be our new home computer, so we have another home computer which I am on right now.

Posted 9 years ago

ProstheticHead

I'm not familiar with the Win7 installation process (at least not since the RC) but does it allow you to load drivers at any point? Even if your HDD shows up it's still a good idea to load the correct driver from the Motherboard driver CD.

Also try another SATA port, a quick search suggests there 8 on board, two are White in colour the rest are Blue. This often means there are two different storage controllers, or possibly some RAID only ports.

Also check your BIOS settings. AHCI mode would be recommended for storage. :-)

Posted 9 years ago

mickeyblue

hey PH, nope there isnt an option to load drivers.
i think those 2 white SATA ports are the SATA II 6.0gb's ports an the blue ones are the SATA 3.0gb's, the OP should try the blue SATA ports, like you suggested, maybe the SATA II ports need other drivers.

Posted 9 years ago

Bob5

Ok thanks for the help guys I think we got it figured out. We downloaded a partitioning software and partitioned the hard drive so that one of the partitions was "bootable" and then it worked just fine.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.