How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Windows Vista does not Shut Down

(24 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by FMZ
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 67252 times

FMZ

Team,
Vista laptop wont shut down or restart, it keeps showing the shut down message for a long time, I have to force it by holding down the on/off button if I want to shut it down.

Any suggestions?

Vista Home Premium
Dell M1210

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

What do you call a long time?

Posted 12 years ago

FMZ

Longest I waited was 15 - 20 minutes

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

I have waited 2-3 hours for 30 Vista updates to be integrated. After that, no probs. Just leave it running overnight, and if you still have a problem, come back. If you interrupt shutdowns it just causes more hassles.

Posted 12 years ago

whs

Something is in a loop. Cut the power (including the battery) > hold the start button down for 20 seconds to clear static electricity (just in case) > put battery and powerline back > start with the hardware start button > keep tapping F8 until you get the black screen with the white writing > navigate to SAFE MODE with the Down Arrow > hit ENTER > wait until you get the funny desk top > click the Vista START button (or on the keyboard) > do RESTART and things will come back to order.

Posted 12 years ago

whs

Just saw Lighthouses posting - does the shutdown screen say that it is configuring updates? In that case, Lighthouse is right. If not, it is the loop.

Posted 12 years ago

FMZ

Txs,

WHS, i'll try and will get back with the results.

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

Not necessarily, if you have made lots of changes, it takes a while to shut down. And if you interrupt, it takes longer the next time (or crashes)

Posted 12 years ago

FMZ

I tried whs suggestion, at the same time i ran the PSA Pre-Boot System Assessment (1/2 hour test. the section Hard Drive DST Short Test failed. Failure error code 2000-0142 msg: unit 0:drive self test failed status byte = 79.

It seems to restart and shut down fine but still this DST Short Test has me worried. Anyone knows what this means?

Posted 12 years ago

FMZ

Still got XPS support with Dell, I'll check with them. Thanks for assisting, the shutdown issue is resolved.

Posted 12 years ago

whs

Maybe you want to run CHKDSK to get a clearer picture or to fix. This page does not specifically talk about Vista, but it is the same.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/62912a3c-d2cc-4ef6-9679-43709a2860351033.mspx?mfr=true
I don't know how good Dell support is, but if it is as good as HP support, you will get nowhere.
PS. How was the shutdown issue resolved?

Posted 12 years ago

blahxblitzed

it would be very helpful if you could please post your solution so others with the same problem (me) could deal with it too! thanks!!

Posted 12 years ago

platinum

i have an acer duo core laptop and has worked fine until recently and now i have to button down to shut off. i have no additional software at this time so it appears to be the same as many others. i will leave run tonight in case it is in a loop rather then attempt other wise. if you any suggestions i am open. thanks

Posted 12 years ago

whs

platinum, I think it is probably in a loop. Do as I posted earlier in this thread. That will get you out of the loop. For tracking the cause, that is more difficult. I had this happen several times and never really found the cause. With Process Explorer you might be able to see what's running all the time. Download and run this and see whether you discover something. Do this before you kill the loop.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/security/processexplorer.mspx

Posted 12 years ago

lhackley

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to whs. His/her last post was 7 months ago, but it solved my problem today. Thanks!!

Posted 12 years ago

Jean1971

Thanks whs. My Dell Vista was caught in a 'loop' too. Your simple solution cured my longstanding problem. Cheers!

Posted 11 years ago

boun01

Me too had the endless shutdown in Vista on a Vaio laptop. whs solution worked for me also. Thanks.

Posted 11 years ago

Dieann63

I am hoping that this will fix my problem too... Thank You in advance!

Posted 10 years ago

LH

Dieann63 hi. If you have a continuing problem, please can you post it in a New Topic.

Posted 10 years ago

dadarexz

FMZ how did you solve you problem, I mean if your pc taking forever to shut down, how did you solve it

Posted 10 years ago

vistamike

Welcome dadarex, follow the thread from the beginning and try ALL the suggestions posted. Especially WHS.
If it fails please start a new topic

Mike

Posted 10 years ago

dulcie

My windows vista also won't shut down. Would like to follow instructions from whs but how do you cut the power from the battery??

Posted 10 years ago

vistamike

Hi, Could you start a new topic, this one is 2 years old now.

Mike

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.