The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Windows media player 11 won't open

(18 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by vuelta
  • Latest reply from vuelta
  • Topic Viewed 4314 times

vuelta

If i double click on a video file in my pictures or click on play or click on any icons or do it in the all programmes menu the egg timer goes off after a few seconds.I can only get WMP to come up if i have a cd in the cd drive.I'm pretty sure i used to just click on an icon to get WMP up.Is this right?

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

so i guess you downloaded the new WMP11, i had it in XP and it worked fine, next time right click on the video file and select <open with>
then navigate to WMP, or choose it from the file installation directory.

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I'm using XP mickeyblue,the same thing happens when i do what you said

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I don't know what the file installation directory is or where to find it

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

strange, nevermind the file installation directory, that was only if it didnt show up in your default media players.
can you list some PC specs here, CPU, XP SP? just some more info

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

1.7ghz,sp3,acer aspire1640(brilliant) laptop,80 hard disc,1gb ram ΒΌ used

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

have you still got the installation .exe file? do you want to use WMP, ever thought about VLC player?

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I've also got realplayer but just wanted to know if WMP is working correctly or not.Can you get WMP to come on by clicking on a icon

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

What should i do with the .exe file and where will i find it.I've had a quick look but can't locate it

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I've never heard of VLC player but i'll check it out

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

did you download the WMP 11 program or did it come with a XP update? usually if you double click on the WMP desktop icon it should open.

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

Can't remember.So by what you just said,it can't be working right.What should i do,delete WMP then download a fresh one or what?

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

yeah you could try that, download the WMP11 setup fiel from this site, its clean no viruses ive done it before. remove current WMP (once downlaod has finished) and then install the downloaded one.

www.apphit.com/download_Windows_Media_Player-217/

once new one is installed, restart and then try it out.

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I'll do that and thanks for your time and help

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I've tried all above,still can't get WMP to open with any icon(desktop,quick launch,all programs and files),I've deleted WMP11 then downloaded it again from microsoft.I can only get WMP onscreen by putting a cd in and going from there.I want to double click on a video file in my video folder to play(like it should be).Anyone got any ideas

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

i honestly dont have any other ideas, sorry. my only suggestion is if you want a good media player that will play all codecs, then get VLC player, loads of people use it.

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

I've just found a way to get WMP on screen by right clicking on the quick launch icon >run as...>unticking protect my computer and data from unauthorized activity box.Do you know a way to make that permanent because everytime it reverts to protect my computer etc being ticked again

Posted 8 years ago

vuelta

Anyone else know?

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.