The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Installer Error, PLEASE HELP!

(20 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by boomer111
  • Latest reply from boomer111
  • Topic Viewed 3990 times

boomer111

I'm not the biggest computer techie so bare with me please.
Alright, so I just got this computer about a week ago and would really really really appreciate any help for this problem.
I had java on my computer for gaming and such, and I got an error 1723 on it (the error you get when you have more than 1 types of java or just an incomplete java file which causes it so that you can't un-install newer versions of java or you cant replace older versions of java)

Anyways, after a long time of searching through the internet, I found a solution on this website which is why im posting my new problem here. The solution was to go into Register Keys and delete anything related to java, and so I did (took a really long time but i was determined) and after that, everything related to java was deleted so I tried installing java again but when I did an error came up with the windows installer.

“The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available"
And then when I click cancel this pops up
"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

So, I assume that the problem has to do with me deleting something on the Register Keys because I can download other things, but when I try and download java, that error keeps coming up.

Please guys, I'd really appreciate help.

Thanks.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

**Edit** Now it won't let me install anything, this just pops up

"The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if windows installer has not been installed correctly. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

And I've tried to install the "Fixitnow" thing but that same message pops up

Posted 8 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi boomer111

Can you go to a previous restore point?

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

I don't know if i've set one :S

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

Oh, I just checked, I didn't know this was going to happen so I hadn't set one (I forgot to because I just got this computer a week ago)

Posted 8 years ago

GuiltySpark

Do you have any repair discs?

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

Well, I bought this computer from a guy and he did give me a couple disks he said I should keep just incase...

I've got a "display driver installation cd"
"nero 9 essentials"
and a system utility disk for DVD's

Do you know which disk I'd need and if I have it or not :S

Thanks so much for your help

Posted 8 years ago

GuiltySpark

I dont think any of those are what you need can you give the make and model of the laptop or is it a desktop?

Also have you ran any virus and spyware checks at all?

Edit=

Try the info given here : http://social.technet.microsof.....5345278f33

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

I just did the SFC scan, and even tried replacing the corrupted file with a new one from my other windows 7 desktop. The corrupted file was sppcomapi.dll and when I tried to replace it, it said access denied 0 files copied.

Posted 8 years ago

GuiltySpark

Thats a serious issue : http://www.exedb.com/sppcomapi.html

You may need an installation disc to re-install but hang around someone else may come up with another solution but I think a re-install is the way to go.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

I've been reading quite a bit into this and I think it has something to do with this computer not having authority for the network service because when I try to start Windows Installer in services.msc it says "Windows could not start the windows installer service on a Local Computer. Error 5 Access is Denied"

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Have you seen this page, http://www.java.com/en/downloa.....r_1723.xml ???

I suspect the real problem though IS permissions. You are NOT running as ADMINISTRATOR, hence can't replace system files.

Should be 'fixable' another way though. Enable the HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR (instructions HERE), re-boot and logon as the Administrator and then install the update. Then disable the hidden administrator, re-boot to your ID and you should be OK.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

ispalten,

I enabled the Administrator account, logged off and then onto the Admin account. Same thing, I try to start windows installer in the Services.msc and it still says "Windows could not start the windows installer service on a Local Computer. Error 5 Access is Denied". I've noticed that it keeps saying I'm on a "Local Computer"... Could that have anything to deal with it? Thanks so much for your help guys!

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Did you try the fix on the first link I gave?

Have you tried the Microsoft Fix It Center (should be listed on the top of ALL PROGRAMS on the Start Orb) or ONLINE?

Another thing to try is LOGGING the Installer, it might provide more detailed info.

Still sounds like a permissions problem, but not sure what folder or file you need to take OWNERSHIP of? Maybe the entire JAVA folder but it could be a system file too?

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

I've tried the MS Fix It, all it does is say "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistence."

Do you know if theres a complete folder for the Windows Installer? I know how to take ownership, I just can't find the folder.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

*Edit, Yes I tried that first link, Java is not the problem, I've already uninstalled everything. The problem is just trying to get Windows Installer to work but whenever I try to do anything to it I get "Error 5. Access is Denied" Becuase it says I'm on a local computer.

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Enabling the logging for the installer should give more info, specifically the one with the access denied.

You should be on the Local Computer. Like I said, enable the log and then post the FULL error line.

HERE is another MS KB article that applies to the problem, follow it and see if it helps. Unfortunately, most of that stuff doesn't apply for Win7, and there is no Installer available to re-install. I assume that the Windows Installer Service IS running, at least set to MANUAL and not DISABLED, right?

I found some links with some stuff that might help as well, take a look at them, most of the stuff is the same though :

http://social.answers.microsof.....080f30e44a
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-.....sions.html
http://social.technet.microsof.....6e161d577/
http://help.lockergnome.com/wi.....37151.html

You are getting on 'thin ice' here too, I'd back up my system before making any changes, you could make the situation worse.

Note, W7 uses version 5 of the Installer, and there is NO D/L for it, so you can't repair it by installing new. Putting 4.5 on could cause other problems.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

It probably isn't the Installer itself that presents the error, but something it is trying to create, delete, or open. Hence the need for the logging.

The installer itself that gets started is at C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe if that helps. I'm sure you have permission to that folder, otherwise you couldn't run probably.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

Well, I finally fixed the Windows Installer by finding the only restore that worked... I can now install stuff. I still have a problem though, not sure if you know anything about this but I tried to play runescape (an online game) which requires java so I installed the java 64 bit newest version but it still says that I need java when I try to play.. Any help?

Thanks again guys for your help!!

Posted 8 years ago

boomer111

*****I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING ;D******

I did a system restore to a couple days ago and then since windows installer wasn't xxxxxx up, I just re-installed java and its all good.

Thanks guys for your replies!

Edit by Moderator: Watch the language please!

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.