The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error message.

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mdvbilt
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1477 times

mdvbilt

Hello. I have just moved from Windows Vista to a brand new installation of Windows 7. I thought that I was leaving this problem behind, but apparently it's following me. The installation can't be more than a week old.

I received the following message that popped up when I had no programs running, save for some system tray programs that are always running. I had one folder open on the Desktop, and the only other thing that might relate to it is a USB drive that is in perfect working order:

"Windows Explorer has stopped working. (new line) A program caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. [Close Program button]"

So, I hit [Close Program]. It didn't offer any solutions, or even seem to notice that anything happened, except for closing that single folder that I'd opened (which had been opened previously as well). There are no viruses running around, there is no malware. The hardware all checks out. What is happening? A duplicate error message on a brand new install of a different operating system? The really annoying thing is that I cannot correlate it to anything. No programs, no consistent time between errors, nothing. Just pops up. Which makes it doubly hard to diagnose, of course.

Thanks very much if anyone can solve this for me.

Posted 5 years ago

Hermitt

mdvbilt, try this... http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ecker.html

Jim

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Is this an upgrade from vista to Win7 or a clean install?

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

Thanks Hermitt, but SCANNOW came clean, no integrity violations. Germ-x, it is a completely new and clean install. I don't know if this is an issue, but it's a little weird, now the task manager shows two instances of explorer.exe running. Could that be it? I don't know if it started like that or not.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

I don't believe SFC /scannow gives any messages whether or not it corrects something. It just runs and does its thing. Afterwards the problem is either fixed or it is not.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

are you sure it is not iexplorer.exe?
What have you installed since installing win7?
start > tpye msconfig > click on startup tab > look and see what is starting up when windows starts.
If you see something that you don't feel needs to be in the startup uncheck it and reboot your system.
Do you still get the explorer error?
What common software or drivers were on the Vista setup that you installed on your win7 setup?

Posted 5 years ago

warlock

Try disabling add ons one at a time to see if that helps. Tool bars have caused problems in the past.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

One way is to run Internet Explorer (no add-ons) which is located in Start->Programs->Accessories->System tools-> This would tell you right away if it is an add-on problem and allow you to disable some.

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

SCANNOW specified that there were no integrity problems.

I don't even use IE (use Firefox); but have disabled everything anyway. But... on Vista, disabling the add-ons never did anything.

There's nothing unusual in the Startup.

And yes, it was definitely a second instance of explorer.exe, not iexplorer.exe. The interesting things is that now, hours later, that second instance of explorer.exe (they were very distinct in the Task Manager) is gone. So I'll have to watch and see if it comes back, if the problem happens again. This is really annoying.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

one thing you can do is take a snapshot of the processes running in task mgr with one instance of explorer running and then if you get the 2nd explorer running take another snapshot of the running processes and then compare the two. You can use the Windows snipping tool

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.