How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows Defender

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Janie
  • Latest reply from fallout330
  • Topic Viewed 1460 times

Janie

Just me again with more questions! :)

Windows Defender on my computer scans daily and boy, does it slow down my computer while it's scanning! I can barely use my PC when it's scanning! Do you'all think Windows Defender is necessary and do you recommend it? A friend told me she got rid of Windows Defender & her antivirus program and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. What do you'all think about that?

Speaking of antivirus, I changed from AVG to avast about 4 years ago and I like it better. I have been happy with it until the last upgrade of the free version, which I use. Seems right after that last upgrade of it (not just an update but an upgrade) my computer began starting up much much slower! Not 100% sure if that's it, but something ALL OF A SUDDEN about that same time sure caused it to start up SLOWWW. That upgrade wanted me to install Google Chrome but I refused and it kept trying to get me to but I never did. Should I???? Could that be the problem? Not sure how it could be, but just wondering?

Sometimes I don't know what to do about all this stuff. You hear everything!

Janie

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

Installing MSE automatically disables WD because the MSE engine includes WD.
Anything that asks to install Chrome I would regard as suspect!

Sticking with MSE will keep you up and running, but more importantly, safe.

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Agree with vistamike. In addition MSE can be set to do it's full scan once a week and set for a time other than when you might be using the computer. You can also give it a low priority so it will interfere less with what you are doing.

Posted 5 years ago

Janie

So it TOTALLY takes the place of an antivirus program? So I just need to uninstall my avast and then install the MSE?

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

MSE is antivirus program!
It is unwise to run to separate programs together. MSE is live and is very 'programmable'. A plus is that the resource factor is very low indeed.

Uninstall avast. Get MSE here; http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....essentials

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

Use this to uninstall Avast : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Posted 5 years ago

Janie

Is this Avast uninstall utility better than using Revo Uninstaller?

How do I make my PC start in safe mode?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes. It is dedicated to that one app.
As soon as you start the computer, keep tapping the F8 key.

Posted 5 years ago

Janie

Thanks everybody for all the great help! I now am rid of avast! and have installed Microsoft Security Essentials and all is running well. My computer starts quicker, or rather my desktop loads A LOT quicker!!!! I really really do appreciate your help! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! (I'm sure I'll be back from time to time for more help! lol)

Janie

Posted 5 years ago

fallout330

I'd stick with MSE alone. You can also use Sandboxie to sandbox a session if your going into risky or unknown territory online.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.