How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 will not boot or see OS on HDD

(71 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by disneyf1
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 9693 times

disneyf1

Hi there,

My daughter's dell 1545 will not bott all the way. If I hit F8 I can do a repair start up an dget to the System Recovery Options window but nothing appears in the Operatin System column. Trying to start in Safe mode or normally has it stop on a black screen with only the cursor showing(which does respond to commands). I was able to get to the blue screen with the little white bird and leaves with the cursor still available by reading some other prolems solved here and changing the SATA from AHCI to ATA.

I have also tried a recovey disc and it won't work. I then burned BitDefender to check for viruses and get important data off the laptop. It found no bugs, though. It did find both sections on the HDD, OS and REcovery and they were pronounced fine by Bitdefender.

I did a pre-boot assesment from diagnostics using F12 options and got through 8% of the DST Short Test and returned an Error Code 0146, Msg: Error Code 2000-0146, MSg: Hard drive 1 - Self Test log contains previous errors.

Using the Symptom tree from F8 options showed 11 blocks with error code 0F00:1A44, Can't read, replace disc. Also came up:
Read Test Fail 0F00:0244,
Self Test long Error Code 0F00: 075D msg: DISK-DST self test read error.
Confidence Test - "the drive failed to perform the confidence test properly" error code 0F00:1344, msg Dsik-Block 818136 can't read, replce disc

I have no idea where to go from here. Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated. I'v been working on this for a week or so already.

Thank you,

Joey

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

disneyf1 hi,
Try using your recovery Cd and click on command prompt then type
chkdsk C: /F or chkdsk C: /F /R

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

will do, thanks. I'll report back.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

okay, I used safe mode with command prompt but it just went back to the black screen with safe mode in the corners. how do I get to the command prompt?

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

skulldrinker

if you're in Safe Mode you can type cmd in the blank when you click on Start. Then in the list above it you should see cmd.exe go ahead and click on that to bring up a DOS-like command window. Not sure if check disk will run from there but you can try. type HELP for a list of commands.

I think I ran into this before and since the OS wasn't being detected the F11 Factory restore would not work. I had to get a retail Win 7 install disk from my other computer and temporary install it on the C:drive overwriting the old undetectable windows. (you will lose all old c:drive data)(and you don't need need to enter a serial number at this point). The D: drive will remain intact. Then after the retail Win 7 installs you can boot up and access the F11 key to do a Factory reinstall from d:drive to get all your drivers back.

Just make sure you do not FORMAT the whole drive when installing the temporary retail version. You want to be able to reach the d:drive's restore file. The one hard drive contains both C and D:drives on it.

To get any saved data off before you begin with the retail install you could try to use a boot disk to access the c:drive like a Linux live CD such as Ubuntu 11. Or I use Ultimate Windows CD also. If Linux won't find it then you may need some professional help. Most times you can live with a little data loss.

Just goes to show you that regular back up images will always save the day.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Have you tried booting with the recovery disk to get the cmd prompt?
Before reloading windows and losing all your data you still have to see if chkdsk can correct your hdd errors.
If chkdsk cannot repair your hdd then you might be looking at replacing your hdd.
If your system has been running for a while with no problems then why would you want to "changing the SATA from AHCI to ATA".
I can see doing that if you are trying to get a new system running if your having problems, but not a system that has some time on it without problems.

Posted 6 years ago

skulldrinker

If Bitdefender found C + D drives and you were able to get into Safe Mode. Then I would waste no more time and transfer all important data to an external drive. The more you dig deeper the more chance of totally losing everything. Make an image now if you can. Being able to get back to a bad spot may even be necessary and come in handy. Once you move the files over I would do the reinstall obviously some files are messed up and most times that i've seen it can't be fixed at this stage. I use free Paragon back up for images.

...and anyways a 4-5 year old laptop could probably use a clean install.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hey everyone,

I just got back on my wife's laptop- she had to use it today, so please foorgive me for the delay responding. I am reading the replies ans will get back to you ASAP tonight.

Thank you SO much for the assistance. I really appreciate it. I'm out of my depth here. And, go figure, I have a minor in computers,1985! - 'speak' 5 comp languages, but none apply anymore!

-OZ

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Well, I have gotten all the data I think she needs(!) off the HDD with bitdefender so the way I look at it, I'm simply looking for a functioning device right now.

In safe mode all I can do is move around the cursor. The start button is unrsponsive as is everything else. Booting with the recovery disk gets the same outcome, so it will not get me to the command prompt either. I changed to SATA setting only because someone else with what seemed to be the exact sam eproblem was advised to do so and it worked for them. For me it simply allowed me to get one step closer to the desktop, so I did a reset to default in that setting option.

I'll try the f11 button and see if I can acquire an install cd somewhere then report back.

thank you

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

okay, well f11 doesn't do anything on regular or recovery disk boot. I'm downloading a WM7 clean install disk now, but it's HUGE and will take hours to finish. So when that's done, I'll see if I can get it to boot or just reinatll and see where I am. Thanks for the help, get some sleep and I'll check in tomorrow.

OZ :)

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Good morning,

Well, the iso file for Windows 7 finally finished and I burned it to CD. Booting from it in regular mode produces the same black screen w/ cursor result, but going to safe mode gets me the instalation screen! It gets stuck after the 'set up now' button is pressed and won't go past 'set up is starting' with the cursor whirling. I'll try it again and see if there's a change this time.

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

It does not sound like you are actually booting from the CD. When you first boot it should come on and say Press any key to Boot from CD..... If you miss it then it will boot normally. You should get that before windows or safe mode starts. The BIOS must be set to boot from the CD.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

thanks xhi,

yes, it's acting as you described.
i have the bios setup so that cd/dvd is primary for booting and it asks me to press any key to boot from there when I power up while pressing F8. The windows files show as loading and then the advanced boot options screen comes up to allow safe mode.

I'm still trying to reinstall but it sticks at 'set up is starting'

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Do you have any other bootable cd or DVD you can try just to make sure your booting from the optical drive?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

No need to press F8! Thats where the advanced boot options come from. You don't want that. just wait patiently and press a key when ask.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

i have the recovery disc that I made and tried earlier. What should I look for exactly?

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

The recovery disc asked to hit any key to boot from cd, just like the install disc did. I hit enterand the files are loading now as they did before, so I'll see if it goes past the blank screen and cursor stage.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

yep, the recovery disc rests on the BSOD like before. I wonder if there's a way to reinstall windows fresh on the HDD even if I have to repartion and lose the dell recovery partition. I can always reload the Dell programs from the support CDs.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Okay, trying to install from safe mode again, using the install disc sice that is the only way so far that I can get the install screnn to show up. Will report back results. IS there any other way to install the OS?

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

disneyf1 ,

Sounds to me like you have a failing HDD from your first post to here you seem to be going in circles but your error code Fault : Read Test Fail 0F00:0244 would suggest bad or failing HDD.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hey Guilty Spark, Thank you for the assistance. I hate to think it's beyond use at this point, of course. Glass half full, and all. Think there's anyway to isolate the bad blocks or even reformat the HDD?

Been an hour and still on the 'set up is starting" screen. I can get through all the recovery mode screens and bios screens, but just can't seem to figure out how to make it boot up all the way.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

first thing you can do is check your BIOS and see if your drive is listed.
Make sure the optical device is set for first boot device
Boot your system and if everything is set correctly when asked to boot from Cd just hit the space bar or any key but not the F8 key.
If windows starts to install you can let the installation attempt to complete.
You can download this free utility to check and format your drive
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html
You have to download > burn to a CD > boot your computer off this disk > format your "C" drive > Now do the installation of windows

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

At this point I don't know.

If the Disk is that bad then the data may be unrecoverable.

But I like your thinking about the "Glass half full", it's positive and I hope I'm wrong but at this stage I don't know what to try as you cannot boot from any Disc and cannot boot into Recovery.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Yeh, I hear ya, GS. I just have this feeling that being able to start the boot normally, just not completing it; and getting the install to intiate from safe mode as well as getting to the recovery mode screens all mean that it's mechanically sound. Just need to isolate the booting hinderences.

Germ-x, thanks for the pointer to the partition wizard. I'll give that a try or maybe BitDefender that I used earlier. Here we go! (shameless beer reference...)

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Should be able to boot from the CD with or without the Hard drive. A BSOD is a Windows Function. It may not be the HDD, but the motherboard causing the BSOD.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Is a good point Xhi, am watching on with interest on this one.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Most times when trying to install any software on a defective hdd you will get an error message or two as the software tries writting to the hdd.
Are you getting any type of "Hard drive missing error"
Like Xhi mentioned you can boot any system off a Cd

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Couldnt get Bitdefender to repartition, so it's on to Partition Wizard - guess the name says it all. Time to open another cold one, Here we go...

for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....p&NR=1

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

oops, I burned the regular version of partition wizard, I need the bootable version, I guess. burning now.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

You don't want to do anything with the partition just yet or you will lose your recovery partition. You want to boot and check the disk.
there is a chkdsk option you want to run from PW.
You also want to make sure the disk is being displayed correctly.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

hey,

had to run get ready for our dinner party and didn't realize I was late...

tried to boot from partition wizard, but it keeps trying to go to windows even when selecting to boot from dvd drive. I'll have to go back to the PW website for additional instructions. Is there another method of booting from that disc or getting to command prompt without booting?

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Did you download the bootable version and use software like imageburn to burn your CD?
If not then you might have either the install version on your disk or just a .iso file
http://fileforum.betanews.com/.....28426215/1

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Iused Roxio to burn Bitdefender, which booted fine on its own. Then Roxio went crazy and disabled the disc drive so I uninstalled it and got control back. I didn't think the standard windows burner would burn a different type of disc, but maybe it did.Man, I hate tangental problems. I'll download imageburn and try it again. Thanks,GX.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Wow, Love the image Burner Program, Thanks!

I got it to boot using the partition wizard and now have its main screen up on the device. It shows three sections:
FAT - 8.94GBused, FAT file system, Type=primary, status=hidden
RECOVERY - 4.68GB used, NTFS file system, Type= Primary, status=Active
OS - 192.88GBused, NTFS file system, Type=Primary, status=None (?!)

What should I do here? Can I copy the data in the recovery section to a USB drive and reload it after repartitioning? I know this is an important step and want to take the best option here.

Thanks, I feel like this is starting to get somewhere!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

I think with the FULL install O/S you downloaded, you probably can convert the machine entirely and use the Product Code on the Bottom of the machine to Activate the installation.

You will need the Machine Device Drivers from the Dell Site stored on a USB stick or CD.

One of our Laptop folks can probably guide you through the setup and installation.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hi Rick,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read through this post and offer your kind assistance.

I didn't see a forum dedicated to laptops. Where do I need to look? Should I save the recovery drive data to reload?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

If the machine conversion is done correctly, you will Clean Install from the Downloaded Windows 7 DVD you made.

There will be only one partition on the hard drive so you will never have to worry with this "mess" again.

I can simulate the conversion on a Self Built Machine however would like one of our Laptop Owners to assist you as I've never owned a store bought machine except for way back in 1980s when I bought an IBM PC-1. (lol) :)

You are in the correct forum. :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Does your O/S partition have a volume letter?

EDIT: I don't know what is on the 4+gb hidden partition
you can copy your recovery partition but I am not sure you will be able to run it since you don't have access to the .cmd or exe file unless you make your USB drive bootable. The utility to start the recovery is on "C" drive and if you format and or partition it you will lose that utility.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hey Guys, sounds good.

PC-1, eh? We've come a long way...

I don't see a drive letter for any of them on the partitionwizard screen. I know the OS is Drive C and checking on my other daughter's machine, which is exactly the same model, I don't see drive showing. Its C: OS is listed at 278GB, nearly the same as the OS on the sick machine's OS partition. So I imagine the other two are hidden from view, but lettered differently. putting a cd into the d\bay shows up as drive D so they can't be that.

Do I need to start a new thread to find one of the laptop guys or is that you GX?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Maybe one will drop by here. This is the place to stay.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

I don't use PW right now and have forgotten the layout but your O/S should have a drive letter associated with it.
There should be an option to add /change drive letter.
If you click on your "C" drive bar and choose the drive letter option and if it's already "C" then just cancel the option.

EDIT:
I found an old PW boot disk and just booted off it and it doesn't show the drive letter. Think that's the reason I don't use it. The difference I see is my "C" is active and that is because I partitioned and formatted before installing Win7 so I don't have that bootmgr file partition.
There are better free ones out there with a better interface but this forum is stuck on PW.
There should be one option to repair the partition. You might give that a try.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

okay, really odd here..

Ican select any of the three sections and none will allow a change of drive letter option. the function is grayed out. Could they have 'lost' their letter? And I just noticed that right in front of each one is an asterisk followed by a colon which makes it look like the asterisk is the drive letter. Can a virus get rid of drive letters? This might be the whole problem. hmmm

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Usually some corruption or hdd problem will cause you to lose a drive letter.
If you look at properties you should see everything on that partition and also a drive letter

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Good Call. I should have thought of that.
The properties option for each has three tabs: usage, partition information and File system information. None of the tabs has anything about a drive letter. The closest to that would be on the partition info tab which has "partition type ID: (0x7 for RECOVERY and OS, 0xde for FAT). What's up with that?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Tom,

Any reason why OP can't Wipe the HD with Diskpart, install O/S from Boot DVD and use MS Product ID on bottom of computer to active after loading in drivers ????

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Rick, That is about what I am ready to suggest. The only thing left is to copy all important data onto a storage device.
He has two choices, combine the hidden and "C" and save the Recovery partition or just repartition the entire disk and make a new "C" then after installing Windows he can make another storage partition later.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Yeah, I would force the Complete install on total HD with (1) partition and then shrink later if OP needs a second partition.

That way, NO 10MB partition is made and never NO boot manager missing.

Those HDs on the notebooks are not really that big.

I don't even partition 1TB HDs. (lol) :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Sounds good guys. Just so I have this straight, after removing any data (including copying recovery?) I do a wipe of the HDD. There are two options: fill sectors with zero and fill sectors with one. Then what?

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

You have the bootable PW Cd already. Suggest you use it to prepare your hdd.
You can delete all your partitions then create one new partition the size of your hdd. > Format your new partition > Insert your win7 install disk in and start the instalation procedure. "DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS TO FORMAT OR PARTITION".
If you choose to allow windows to do either or both you will lose what you did with the PW utility plus windows will create that 100mb troublesome partition again.
Just decline those two steps and sit back and let windows do its install.
You will need the system drivers ready to install when windows completes its installation.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Good Instructions Above. :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Yes, very good. Thank you.
Will the drivers be on the recovery disc I made from the sister machine?

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

You can delete all your partitions then create one new partition the size of your hdd. > Format your new partition > Insert your win7 install disk in and start the instalation procedure. "DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS TO FORMAT OR PARTITION".
If you choose to allow windows to do either or both you will lose what you did with the PW utility plus windows will create that 100mb troublesome partition again.
Windows will only create what you tell it to create.
I deleted all partitions on my HDD then created 2 of different sizes as shown below then installed Win7 on the smaller of the two.
(See screenshot of my disk management.)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/327277.....gement.PNG

btw, I did this using the Win7 dvd during setup.

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hey Hermitt,

Thank you for the input. INteresting. How did you determine the size for your OS partition?

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

@Hermitt, I was only trying to explain the easiest way for a novice. It's very easy for somone to tick on a box or click on a button while installing windows as the installation is intimidating to a lot of people out there. There are several ways as you point out. I thought I would try the easy way.
The OP can reduce the O/S partition after the installation and get the same results.

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

Hi disneyf1, I have a 320GB hdd so I just divided the huge number it showed by 3 which gave me around 100GB for the first partition. For the second partition, naturally I just used the rest of the hdd that was let.
If you decide to go this route, make sure you have downloaded and burned all drivers for you machine to a CD before doing a clean install.
Just go to the Dell website, enter the service tag number for your PC (it should be located on a sticker along with or near the 25 character Product code) and download ALL drivers listed there.

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

Hi germ-x.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack/derail your instructions in any way. If the OP's hdd is bad as several of you have intimated then all data may already be lost.
Doing a clean install, in IMO, is alot easier than it looks, even for a novice. All one has to do is follow the prompts then click on the Advanced button at that certain stage of setup and totally wipe the drive by deleting all partitions then creating new ones. At that stage, if the hdd is bad it (Windows) will probably let you know in a hurry or it might just lock out any bad sectors found and c ontinue installation.

BTW, if a mistake is made during a clean install then all you have to do is DO it again and make sure you don't make the same mistake a second time. lol

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Jim, My personal feeling is to eliminate that stupid 100mb hidden boot partition that has been causing so much grief with the "bootmgr missing problem". I noticed your setup doesn't have it which is a very good.
I hope the OP's hdd is ok and he was able to boot with PW and didn't get any error so I'm hoping windows loads ok. Like I mentioned a few replies earlier I quit using PW as it didn't have enough options but for free what the heck. It does the basics.

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

Hi germ-x - I agree on eliminating that 100mb partition.
I suppose all the MFG's saved a bundle by creating that nightmare instead of including a set of DVD's but when people failed to create the software as instructed when they first fired up their PC's. That little nightmare ended up costing the buyer another $30-$40 bucks for that all important set of restore the system DVD's.
As for PW, I have never used it. The last time I wiped a hard drive was way back in 1999 when I ran Windows 98se. LOL Remember FDISK? Now that was a nightmare.
I too hope the OP's hdd is ok. I think he should reset his BIOs to the default settings, then set the CD/DVD Rom as the first boot device and go from there with a Clean Install. That's my opinion but you know what people say about opinions. lol

Have a great day,
Jim

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

LMAO!! Good one Xhi.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Hey guys,

:) :) :) :) :)

You all are THE BEST!!!!!!!!! The Unit is back up and running perfectly!

I did the quick and easy 'wipe it all off and start new' one partition method, figuring that since I now knew how to work with thepartition, I could repartition if desied, but first and foremeost, get it running. Great instructions from everyone!

The one partion showed up as C: drive not an asterisk - thank God. I ran the Windows 7 install disc and it set up no problem. I then ran my recovery disc made when the PC was new so I could load the drivers (thought I'd try this first instead of going to the site, thanks for that, BTW). It restored everything as it was before and kept the drive name intact. Now all I have to do is reload the data I was able to save using BitDefender and programs (carefully scrutinized before doing so...) and it will be perfect - AND Dad's the hero!!!!!!! Thanks to you guys!!

I really would like to figure out how the drive letters got erased so it won't happen again.

HOw do I mark this thread as solved? How do I give you guys props appropriately?

This really is a great forum. No flaming, all productivity and good sharing. Do you think there is enough information here for someone else to use if they runinto the same thing, or do I need to supplement with more?

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU -

-OZ (ie: daddy the hero!)

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Daddy :) tis marked as solved. Drive letters do get to disappear at times, tis one of the mysteries of life. At least your train is back on the rails :)
And thanks for the appreciation of the members here. We do not allow flaming etc.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Daddy the hero, if your still there there is one more very important part to the puzzle.
You need to make routine images of your system so if something happens in the future you just recover your image and away you go.
All the drivers, programs and data will be there as of the last image. It's much faster then reloading windows.
Suggest you make one while the system is still clean so you can use as a REAL backup
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Good idea GX, will do.

First, I have to get it to boot again. After loading Office, it shut down and on rebooting only has a flashing
Underscore at the top left. Everything was working great. okay, time to have a beer and reboot.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

When you get it running again run chkdsk /f and see what the log file shows

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Thanks. Will do.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

won't get past the flashing underscore. USing partition wzard, I see that it created a second 100 MB partition that must have come from the recovery disc. I'm wiping and creating one partion again, formatting and then will oversee the reinstallatio of windows so that it won't create the second one again. That may work...stay tuned.

Posted 6 years ago

disneyf1

Okay. Deleted partitions, made into one again. Relaoded from install not recovery disc and saw that one partion was kept. loaded MS Office, AVG and Malwarebytes then rebooted a number of times, no problem! It must be just like you said that the one partition kept it from failing to boot. OR anything else on the Dell recovery discs.

I tried to do the chkdsk \F, but it said I did not have sufficient permissions to access that and I needed to run at an uprated level? any ideas? At least she's up again and seems to be doing well.

I'll keep tuning in here for anything you can think of or if anyone can benefit from my experience as well.
Thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Well glad to see your system is up and running Again.
Couple things:
You need to change the UAC permission in control panel > user accounts> Move the slider all the way down.
When you run chkdsk /f make sure the slash is a forward slash / ---- not this\
I would strongly suggest you make an image using the free utility Macrium. This way if something happens you recover from your image and you don't have to worry about that factory recovery with all the crap loaded on it.
If you start making weekly images and something happens the most you lose is a weeks worth of data.
There are a couple of other utilities that you can run daily to backup the most data.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

To run an elevated Command prompt just go to start->Type in: cmd. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator, then type in sfc /scannow.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

What partition was kept ? and where, and what size?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.