The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 system image restore problem, please help.

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Paulcheung
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 6694 times

Paulcheung

Hi all,

I do a Windows 7 clean install on the Toshiba laptop. I installed back a few programs that I use most. now I want to make a system image so when the laptop caught virus or other problems I can restore it from the system image.

I run into problem when I try to restore to image from the usb external drive to a old hard drive come from another laptop. Just to test to see if that will work. I got an error message say "The system image restore failed. No disk that can be used for recovering, the system disk cannot be found."

What did I do wrong? I simple follow the guide create the system image from the windows 7 backup and restore to the usb drive, and make a rescure disk from there and boot from it and try to restore the image.

Please help
Thank you.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Paulcheung hi. Try this instead,
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

Posted 6 years ago

mitilini

Paulcheung

This should hopefully help http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....overy.html

Also you may like to perhaps re-read this http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ackup.html

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Why we suggest using other programs is because Windows Backup and Restore, has been notorious for it's unreliability (going all the way back to MSDos)

Posted 6 years ago

mitilini

Yes,i'm aware of it,however the op asked for it,

and if he doesn't find it to be reliable,he'll move on to something better i'm sure.

That's for him to decide.

Posted 6 years ago

Paulcheung

Thank you guys,
So is not what I did wrong, it just windows 7 backup and restore does not work sometime? I am the bad lucky one? well I guess I have to give other program a try. It is a pitty though, it is there and would be very helpful.
Thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

mitilini

Paulcheung İf you read through the links,i provided above

and found that despite doing everything advised there,

it didn't work,then yes.

However it needs to be noted,that others have used it

successfully,a number of times from what i read.

An MVP( LEO A. NOTENBOOM) for example,recently noted that he was very suprised,

at how improved the System image app was in W.7.

and what's more,even though he prefers and recommends

Macrium,he also included W.7's system image app,in his new ''How to''book.

Posted 6 years ago

StringJunky

"An MVP( LEO A. NOTENBOOM) for example,recently noted that he was very suprised,

at how improved the System image app was in W.7."

Why have "improved" when you can have "totally reliable" in Macrium? The first requirement of a backup solution is dependability.

Tony

Posted 6 years ago

mitilini

He meant improved to the degree,that it is now good enough to use it.!!!

Dependedly he must think,otherwise it is safe to assume, would NOT have included it,in his new book.

And ofcourse Macrium is better,and he clearly makes that point,as i have already explained.

Also worth pointing out,is the fact that he's a outspoken M/soft critic,and has been for years.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

If you have a windows7 image that cannot be restored, you can follow my procedure how to save the day. http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....image.html

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

@whs, I know this is marked solved but why do you need a witch doctor to "save the day" if windows backup system amkes an unrestorable image?
Norton Ghost for instance will give you an error message if problems occur during the image process. Then to be on the safe side you can still verify your image while Ghost is still running (not sure about Macrium). The only thing one has to remotely think about is the system re-bootable to begin with. It's nice there is a workaround but if you only have one computer and your backup image is no good now how do you go about saving the day. Most people will go into a panic mode and start pushing buttons and shoving CD's into the tray in an attempt to get something. Print out the "Save the Day" sheet, possible but how many people will really be looking for that fix before tragedy strikes.
"Just a comment"

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Tony & g-x. I quite agree. Do not use backup software (especially) if not 100% reliable.
And whs, you are getting close to be reprimanded for self promotion. Email me please.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

LH, I did not produce about 100 tutorials to shut them in a closet. They are supposed to help people to get out of a tight spot - and in fact have helped a lot of people in the past. I am not promoting anything. As far as I can remember, I have never posted a link to my own blog. I really fail to see your point.

g-x, it is well known that windows imaging can be iffy. But when people use it and get stuck, the procedure I posted is one way to get them out of the bind. And if you have only 1 PC, you may use a friend's system or in an internet cafe.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you not read email me please ?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.