The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Windows 7 libraries suck!

(28 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by actionman10
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 3943 times

actionman10

Why does every new idea Microsoft comes up with turn out to be worse than what they had before? Windows had a simple, unconfusing way to organize all your files before. It was called My Documents. Now they turned that one folder with all your easy to find files into multiple folders all over your hard drive, some overlapping each other, some real folders and some virtual folders called libraries that don't really exist. All of this confusion adding to the complexity of the Windows Explorer directory tree and making finding where everything is much more convoluted, and time consuming.

Why would Microsoft take something that worked well and make it a confusing mess. This is what they do with each succeeding OS they come up with. You'd think they would learn from the mess that they came up with called Vista. No. They made things even more difficult to use with Windows 7. No wonder most people are sticking with their outdated and limited OS called XP. At least it was simpler to use and not so unnecessarily confusing.

I have given up on Microsoft ever being able to come up with a viable OS. Apple has always gotten it right and each succeeding Apple OS is easier to use and more powerful than the last - the opposite of what Microsoft does. Apparently, since Microsoft is unable to improve on their previous OS, they add more bells and whistles instead, making it look fancier but in fact making it harder to use and more counter-intuitive. The only benefit that the Windows 7 libraries idea seems to have is if you want to include in a single folder on your local computer what other computers on your network have that is similar. But then again, isn't that what a simpler idea called a "shared" or "public" folder is for?

Congratulations Microsoft. As usual, you've taken something that worked fine before and made it much more needlessly complicated. By the way, I am a computer tech who fixes Windows computers and I speak from not only my experience but my customers' experiences as well. With each succeeding OS that Windows releases, I find myself getting more and more calls from people needing help to figure out the mess that they have to deal with as a result of the bloated and confusing system that Windows comes up with.

The only good thing about Windows computers is the never ending revenue stream they generate for people like myself who could never make as much money repairing computer problems as we do with Windows systems. If I were to rely on repairing Apple systems, I would have to find another line of work to survive. Thank you Microsoft. You have provided many people like myself a highly lucrative career.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

actionman hi. You don't have to use em,
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21462/how-to-enable-or-disable-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

I know but even if you don't use them, they are still in the Windows explorer directory making it more convoluted and harder to find the actual file you are looking for. Also, when you open Windows explorer, you get libraries, instead of Documents making it and extra step to get to your documents if you keep all your files there. If Microsoft had any sense, they would have made libraries deletable if users didn't want them rather than sticking them permanently in Explorer and going to them by default. Here's a quote from mydigitallife.info:

"In Windows 7 Explorer, Libraries special folder is prominently displayed on the navigation pane, with four default libraries for different file types: Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos, which pre-configured to include the user’s profile folders for these respective file types, as well as the computer’s corresponding Public folders.

Not all users will like the Library feature in Windows 7 though. Some users may prefer to manage and organize their files with just normal folders. Furthermore, Library takes up a rather large area of screen estate in the Windows Explorer navigation pane, effectively causing regular folders tree harder to access and reach.

Windows 7 does not by default provides ability to disable or turn off Library feature. The best workaround is by hidden unused or unwanted Libraries from navigation pane view in Windows Explorer. With the following registry trick, it’s possible to “disable” and remove Libraries feature from Windows Explorer in Windows 7. Actually, Libraries which is tightly integrated with Windows 7 shell is not completely removed and totally disabled. After the registry hack, Windows Explorer navigation pane will not have trace of Libraries shortcut anymore, but Libraries are still been used and accessed when user clicks on Documents, Pictures, Music or Videos links at Start Menu. However, Libraries will not be seen when Windows Explorer is started up, and default folder will be directed to My Documents instead."

If you google 'Windows 7 libraries", you will find tons of links to sites where almost everyone hates them and would do anything to remove them from their computer. As always, Microsoft has not made it an easy task and as usual, they put more and more unnecessary and counter-productive bloatware on their system all the time and make it less and less able to be removed. Business as usual for them. The time has long come for everyone to switch to Apple. Windows will soon hopefully go the way of the dodo bird.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Switch back to Vista, it's brilliant.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

Maybe I'll switch back to XP. It's even more brilliant.

Believe it or not, I know a guy who still uses Windows 98 and swears by it. That tells you a lot about Windows 7.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

I don't like XP, have it on a netbook. I quite liked Windows 3.1, tho didn't use it much, preferred dos.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

As with every new idea Microsoft ever came up with, Windows 7 libraries causes more problems than it solves. Here's a typical quote from a member called gggirlgeek:

"THANK YOU! I can’t stand Libraries and don’t see the point at all. We have My Documents and we have shortcuts. Why do we need more shortcuts? Libraries takes over everything in your computer and crowds the open/save dialogues so it’s difficult to find the folder you really need.

It is also behind 50% of the problems when a program won’t install or work properly (UAC being the other of course.) Many programs don’t know what to do with these type of “virtual links” and most people don’t know enough about it to provide the real path during installation. Microsoft opened a whole can a worms with that one.

Also, if you make the mistake of opening Pictures in Media Center just once it will hunt your whole computer and add any images it finds to your library, including the internet cache and Windows program icons. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t tell it to include those folders. I got around it by deleting all the folders in the pictures Library except one tiny one with a single picture in it. It’s ridiculous that I have to do this."

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Moving thread to Off Topic.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

Windows 7 libraries alone is enough to make Windows 7 a non-viable operating system for most people due to its complexity. Previous Windows OS file systems where simpler, more intuitive and easier to use. I'm willing to bet that Microsoft will abandon this stupid idea in its next Os.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Haven't you tried Windows 8 yet ?

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

No, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like something that belongs on a tablet or cell phone, not a desktop computer. Apparently, Microsoft thought that since touchscreens and widgets are so popular on tablets and smart phones, they should copy those ideas and put them on a full sized computer screen. One problem with that however is that if people use the touchscreen ability which is its main selling point on a full sized computer screen, they will quickly become fatigued and get all kinds of physical problems related to constantly lifting their arms to point at the screen on their desk. Not to mention constantly having to move your arms back and forth from the screen to your keyboard if you have one as the screen keyboard would be extremely difficult to use with your arms outstretched in front of you. As always, this new OS by Microsoft looks like the worst idea they ever came up with. I can just imagine all the lawsuits that will arise from people claiming all kinds of ailments from the use of this bad design. This could be the dummest thing Microsoft ever did.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

It seems they may ship 2 versions, one for touchscreen devices, and the other for normal computers.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

Besides naming each new OS by a successive number, and using touchscreens and widgets in Windows 8, more proof that Microsoft has not only run out of new ideas, they haven't had and original idea in years.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

If you want to be backward compatible, there's not an awful lot you can do.

Posted 7 years ago

ProstheticHead

Libraries work well if you regularly use other network locations for storage. You can add a location to a library and it's files will appear under a title (network address/folder location) which can be minimized when you aren't using it.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

I've never had issues with libraries. Never bothered to disable either. All my clients get on well with the structure and I don't get complaints. Clients went through XP for years, a very short lived Vista period and are happy with 7 as is. They will not be looking at Win 8 for a long time yet.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

SarahJames

I hate the libraries. Period.
But hate a lot of 7 features, like the tabs that take the colour of the icon and the buttons on the menubar.
Disabling the libraries is an option. Beware though - with the updates 7 get's messed up and then you get the error when you create a new folder that windows can't find the folder. Click try again and then it works. There is a registry hack to get over this too, but why bother?
Like LH says: stick to Vista. It's brilliant.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

If one runs Windows 7 in Classic Mode, [ ALL the "Fluff" goes away ] and is very easy to configure plus runs fast.

Is [ actionman10's ] Lack of Knowledge for not configuring client machines properly for easy use.

There is nothing hard about Windows 7 expect learning the Power Shell Program.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

@raphoenix, if a client does as you say, change the Windows user interface to classic mode, they will lose other features in windows 7 they may want to use; Aero for example. Here's a quote from Shawn B. Keene at microsoft.com forums:

"When you have a computer with good graphics capabilities, Aero helps your system run faster (all programs are cached into the video card, so when you move a window, the OS doesn't have to ask applications underneath to "please redraw everything again", which eats up your processor cycles. Plus, Classic mode uses an older technology known as GDI for drawing all the windows on the screen, which is old (from 1989) and frequently causes applications to crash, hang, or Blue Screen. In addition to the performance boost, Aero gives you all the great features such as previews from the taskbar."

Why would a client who doesn't want libraries, change the entire user interface to a less capable one simply to get rid of libraries. It's like cutting your whole leg off instead of just your foot when caught in a bear trap. I suggest that it is you who has a lack of knowledge for configuring computers.

My point is that if Windows made bad ideas like libraries an option that could easily be turned off as you can turn off other features in the programs and features applet, that would make more sense and be a better idea. But like I said before, apparently Microsoft seems to have more bad ideas than good. And their bad ideas seem to be the ones that they want to force on the user, making it extremely difficult to remove if at all.

Remember that the U.S. government took Microsoft to court over issues such as this; forcing the user to use inferior features and software they didn't want which was imbedded in their system and difficult or impossible to remove. The end result of the court case was that in order for the court not to break up Microsoft, Bill Gates had to agree to allow users the ability to remove programs and features (i.e. bloatware) that Microsoft had imbedded in their current OS, XP. This was done with the addition of the Add and Remove Programs sub-menu called "turn off windows features" in the next XP service pack.

To this day, Microsoft has to include this ability in all their OSs but they have gotten around it by not including features such as libraries in this sub-menu. My guess is that they did this as a way of implementing some way of controlling the user's use of their computer down the road. It is well known that Microsoft has always incorporated or otherwise tried to force control over everything the end user did with their computer any way they could and that is why the government took them to court and threatened to dismantle them. You should keep this in mind when you talk about how easy it is to control Windows and everything that is incorporated in the OS is there for your benefit.

Posted 7 years ago

actionman10

My previous post was too old to edit so I am posting this revised version of the last two paragraphs which give the exact names of the applets and sub-menus I was referring to.

Remember that the U.S. government took Microsoft to court over issues such as this; forcing the user to use inferior features and software they didn't want which was imbedded in their system and difficult or impossible to remove. The end result of the court case was that in order for the court not to break up Microsoft, Bill Gates had to agree to allow users the ability to remove programs and features (i.e. bloatware) that Microsoft had imbedded in their current OS, XP. This was done with the addition of the Add and Remove Programs sub-menus called "Add/Remove Windows Components" and "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the next XP service pack.

To this day, Microsoft has to include this ability in all their OSs. However, they have gotten around it by not only disallowing users the ability to remove features imbedded in Windows since XP (They can only be turned off in the sub-menu now called "Turn Windows features on or off") but also not including features such as libraries in this sub-menu. My guess is that they did this as a way of implementing some way of controlling the user's use of their computer down the road. It is well known that Microsoft has always incorporated or otherwise tried to force control over everything the end user did with their computer any way they could and that is why the government took them to court and threatened to dismantle them. You should keep this in mind when you talk about how easy it is to control Windows and everything that is incorporated in the OS is there for your benefit.

Posted 7 years ago

Hermitt

Let's hear a AMEN.

Jim

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

This is what happens when governments allow [ unfettered and non-well regulated ] monopolies and oligopolies.

Microsoft
Intel
Major Banks
Telcoms
Media Companies
Insurance Companies
Power Companies
Etc ... Etc.....

Next on the list will be Google and Face Book which are already a threat to Public Privacy and
possibly Sovereign Security.

The old saw is "Open Source" and "Boycotts", BUT I've been hearing that for +40 years and
that has never happened to any degree.

Folks have been battling Slavery of one kind or another since the inception of mankind.

I don't think there will be a solution for the issues as outlined in this topic thread during my life time.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

nikita

THE WINDOWS 7 LIBRARIES SUCK SO BAD! I've been using them -- finally -- thought I would give them a shot. NO! The library does not allow you to choose which specific folder within the library you would like to save your files! It ONLY ALLOWS YOU TO SAVE TO THE DEFAULT SAVE FOLDER! Why? What's the point of having separate folders if it is going to save everything to just one default folder! NOT ONLY ARE THEY BAD, THEY SUCK!

Btw, don't tell me that I'm dumb and I don't know how to use them. I'm a lawyer, I attempted to use them to increase productivity, I saw that they have potential, by allowing me to click less to get to the folder I need, but then... CRASH AND BURN.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

'Btw, don't tell me that I'm dumb and I don't know how to use them. I'm a lawyer, I attempted to use them to increase productivity'

What has a lawyer got to do with it?

Never had problems with libraries, just lawyers.

Must be a 'no win, no fee basis' then

Mike.

Posted 7 years ago

warlock

Mike pounds the gavel. Case closed.

Posted 7 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I fail to see the big deal about libraries. In my case, I just made sure the default libraries I use (Documents, Pictures, and Music) are set for only one folder. I just use them as a shortcut to get to those folders. I can see where they can be useful, even though I don't use them as such since I won't be keeping much data on this computer other than books and tunes (this is my travel computer). I certainly don't see them as a problem. Learning how to use Win7 had a significant learning curve for me, a slippery slope several of the folks here eased for me, and, over all, I've found Win7 to be a huge improvement over XP.

The OP may find this site (which I learned about here) useful, especially the tutorials section. I love how the Tutorials have simple, step by step instructions even I can follow.

Posted 7 years ago

warlock

The OP is long gone four months ago. But maybe nikita will have a look.

Posted 7 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Hmmm... I wonder if nikita is actually the OP?

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.