How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Windows 7 can't drag and drop

(23 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by suyt
  • Latest reply from suyt
  • Topic Viewed 19589 times

suyt

Help!

I have a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine. Recently, I've started experiencing locks in my system. During such locks, I can not drag and drop anything in the entire system. (eg. Can't drag and drop files/folders/icons in any explorer windows) I've been trying to look for a fix and have been unsuccessful so far. This forum is the only one i found that was somewhat helpful. I tried different mouses, keyboards, checked my keyboard for sticky keys as suggested in the forum previously mentioned. None were the cause of the problem. It's especially frustrating when i'm working in photoshop and illustrator and the system is locked because I can't move anything(paths, images,objects,layers...) with the mouse and have to resort to arrow keys or enter coordinates. Strangely, I can resize objects just fine. Please help!

Also, one post in the forum I linked to suggests Texter from lifehacker as the source of this problem. I'm not sure if this is the actual cause but I did start experiencing this problem after installing Texter.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

suyt hi, you say recently? was it ok before, have you had any updates,or added any new software?

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Check this:

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

hay,whs do you use to do paint net? or another editing software?

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

mark, for simple things I use Faststone Image Viewer - this also my default for pictures. For more advanced editing I use Gimp.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
http://filehippo.com/download_the_gimp/

But those snips I make with Jing : http://www.techsmith.com/jing/

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

Does the FREE version have the arrow and text box ???

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Yes Rick. And don't get concerned if they ask you to register. They never bothered me in 2 years. The nice thing with Jing is that you can program it to a function key. Thus it is really easy to start.
I also use Faststone Capture which has similar functions. I even have the pro version. But I find the handling of Jing easier - e.g. if you make a mistake, it is easier to correct and you can change the settings on the fly.
Besides the arrow and text box, it also has a highlighting and a box for framing something and you can chose (on the fly) 9 colors for all of that.

PS: if you care to see how I use it, you can download a set of handouts for one of my classes from here: http://cid-475a0a48ca6d4035.of.....rt%202.zip

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

Beautiful Presentation !!!!

More like a Professional Book. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Thanks Rick. I do everything for the 650 guys and gals of my club. What do you think of Jing?

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

I think I found out how to work it now. :) :)

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Capture the snip first, then you will see the tools on the next window.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Yep, took awhile for dense me to figure out how to do a picture. (lol) (lol)

Now if it were just hardware, code or scripting ........ <GRIN> <LOL>

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Little tip: If you ever made an arrow or box by mistake and want to get rid of it altogether, just "grab" it and drag it outside the snip (any side) and it will disappear.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Is this program sending anything to Jing ????

I hadn't checked it yet.

Posted 7 years ago

techgranny

@whs, Toolbars and a Surprise, nice :) Keep me up to speed on your classes will ya?

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Rick: "Is this program sending anything to Jing ????" - I am not sure I understand. What is it supposed to send?

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

If you use a Registry Walker, you will see that the program setups communications protocols with Jing and sends data to Jing when used.

NOT good !! :( :(

Even after UN-install, Jing leaves about 100 references in Registry which have to be DUG OUT MANUALLY.

Be Careful; Do NOT destroy the registry references to Beijing Time Zone found when digging out the Registry manually.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

hay whs, its cool i looked for ages in settings trying to move the 'jing sun' as it was in the way of 'rocket dock' lol so i tried to pin it to R,dock no good in the end i r/clicked on the sun at the top of my screen then draged it to the side lol, i cant see the setting like rocket dock has to move it :):) anyway its stuck to the r/hand side of my screen itching to use it ... easy btw thanks whs its great !!!

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Rick, I don't know what your problem is. I am using it since 2 years and never had a problem. If you uninstall it, you should use Revo - advanced option. Then all the registry entries will be deleted.

Mark, if you set it to a function key (I use F9) and hide the sun, then it will be easier to use. You can also capture from the tray.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

I have NO problem

AND

we all have our own ways of Effectively dealing with the Registry so need to squabble. :) :)

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

im geeting the hang of it now lol, whs, have noticed the tray icon will set it to F9 and hide the sun. how do you show your image up here , jing has its own image hosting site does'nt it? sorry :(

mark. i bet its easy to lol,lol

Posted 7 years ago

whs

mark, I move my images to Photobucket and then post the IMG code. On other forums with full function you have a paper clip where you can upload it directly to the forum - Like this:

Rick, I am sorry. I did not want to criticize your ways. I know you like the "old ways" - LOL

Posted 7 years ago

suyt

It turns out that the problem was caused by the program Texter from lifehacker.com. After deleting the program from my system (it doesn't have an uninstaller), i never had the problem again

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.