The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Win8 Backup Imaging of disks, which one?

(60 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4617 times

ispalten

Well, my old standby, Norton Ghost will not work on W8. Will NOT save the license number and Symantec has finally declared is doesn't work.

==========
Re: Ghost 15 on Windows 8 - Not supported
11-02-2012 05:33 PM

Symantec does not have a Windows 8-compatible version of Norton Ghost at this time. Ghost continues to be fully compatible with the Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 platforms. Attempting to install or use Norton Ghost on Windows 8 may result in unexpected results, such as incomplete imaging.

Symantec recommends using Norton Online Backup to protect your important files in a secure, remote location in the cloud. Should you need to back up files using Windows 8, you can use the File History feature of the new operating system. And to refresh and restore your computer, users can use the Advanced Recovery Tools found in the Control Panel. For small businesses, Symantec recommends Symantec System Recovery to create full image backups of your PC. Symantec System Recovery 2013 is planned to be Windows 8 compatible and available in Q1 CY2013.

We will announce updates as they become available. Thank you for your ongoing support and interest in Norton Ghost.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
======

Since W8 has been released in preview and I'm sure Symantec has or had easy access to the RTM, I am quite surprised that they didn't have a fix available within a few days of release like they did for W7. W7's Upgrade Advisor indicated Ghost 14 would not work, but W8's said it would? Maybe a preview did work, who knows, but it took some period of time for Symantec to realize it didn't work. I'm not sure if there would be a Ghost 15 upgrade or a new product, but I don't think I want to work or have ANY real confidence at this time that the backups are really working.

Sooo... I'm considering switching...

There are 3 contenders here as far as I can tell, Paragon (will have W8 version 'soon'), Acronis, and Macrium :

PARAGON BACKUP AND RECOVERY 12
ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 2013
MACRIUM REFLECT V5

I've got a few weeks to make the decision, assuming both Ghost is REALLY making good images and I can restore them IF there should be a crash, but I almost feel like I'd like to switch no matter what. Note that Macrium also needed an upgrade that cost as well.

What is important to me is basically a few things :

- When making a backup I can STILL use the computer with the backup process not being a large load on the computer
- I can restore individual files if need be
- Backup is completely automatic and if the computer IS NOT on when scheduled I'll be notified that a backup was missed or the backup will be done immediately after the first boot on a missed backup

I'm not worried about price, but I need 3 licenses probably, but 2 for sure as these will be the only systems that will be W8, the others will stay using Ghost 15. Of course, support and reliability are a concern.

Since there are many users of each of these here, I'd like some comments on each product and why it is better (I know, subjective) or if anyone has done the comparison and the reason to get one over the other.

I've obviously looked at all 3, and Paragon might add some new features with the new release, and the cost seems to vary from $70 to $90 USD for a 3 or 4 license version. Price alone isn't the consideration, but if all are equal I'd go for Paragon (assuming the W8 release is just as good and same price and released 'soon').

Fire away.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Irv, I would recommend free Macrium. It is easy to use, very reliable, easy to mount the images if you want to only pick a few files - and it is free. What else can you ask for. Here is a tutorial I once made with an added tutorial by my friend Keith that shows the recovery process. That should get you started.

And for the WinPE recovery disk, download the .iso from my Skydrive and burn it to CD. Avoids a 2 hour download of the WAIK. The CD can also be used for imaging in case you do not want to install Macrium. Don't use the Linux recovery disc. It is very limited in function.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

These are the features of the paid version of Macrium; http://www.macrium.com/pages/features.aspx

Here's a 30 day trial: http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

As far as reliability goes I don't think I've seen a complaint here about it in that respect and I certainly haven't any with the free version but you need the paid version for some of the features you require. Apparently v5 is W8 compatible.

Tony

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Well, the free version seems OK other than the support via e-mail and forum access? Still, that isn't work $90 to me... They sure seemed to hide that on the link I gave above, didn't they!

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Tony, from WHS's links, here is the feature comparison chart for Macrium :

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Apparently the only issue I see different would be 'support'. Not needed unless one hits a real problem. Unfortunately, when there is a new release of an OS and you are using it, also with a new release of the product, it could be needed? However, FREE isn't a bad price, is it? I thought there was a FREE version but I couldn't find it until Bill put his link up.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

If you google Macrium Reflect Free it comes up.

If it misses a scheduled backup because the pc is not on you can pre-check a box to tell it to run next startup so that's automatically covered. I downloaded the trial version to have a look for you.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Best and safest, without confusion for Macrium Reflect; http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Irv, I would not worry about release transitions, etc. I use free Macrium since 4 years in Vista, Win7 and Win8 - and at various Macrium release levels. I never had a problem and never felt the need to get support from them. And if it really comes to an iffy question, there are plenty of people around that know the product.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

I vote with (whs) and (Mike).

Free is good and one needs to learn to support themselves when it comes to technology.

Learning is a life long experience to the end.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

afuhnk

What's wrong with :
Control Panel - Windows 7 File Recovery - Create System Image
?

Posted 4 years ago

whs

That built in Windows7/8 imaging is not very good. It has no function, is very unreliable and does with you what it wants. You have absolutely no control over the thing. I had to bail out quite a few people who could not recover from those images. Here is how.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Yeah, since the Symantec thread pointed to that I looked long and hard at it... good for saving personal files it seems, but not a complete system. Yeah, one can make system images too, but it is all going to be either manual or scripted. Biggest problem would be restoration though.

I'll put the Free Macrium on and see how that goes. I'll save the last Ghost images (3 partitions over 2 physical drives) and the last W7 one off to another USB external and then set it up and see how it goes. I've used Ghost on this computer under W7 before so I know I can restore with it back IF the W8 images are OK. Maybe tomorrow I can do it before the wife gets up?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect V5 on my Win 7 machine to make weekly images without problems (I can't speak for Win 8; I also haven't had to do a recovery yet). I'm strongly considering upgrading to the paid version mostly so I can do incremental daily backups in addition to the weekly backups (much faster than daily full backups). With the paid version, one gets full access to their user forums as well as their tech staff. One does not have to upgrade when a new paid version comes out but support will end (this does not apply to updates to a version; those are free).

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LF, my advice would be to go with 'differentials' - not 'incrementals'. The problem with incrementals is that when you lose one bit in the chain, you lose the whole chain.

I prefer full images because they are much easier to manage. And I run my imaging in the background - like right now. That way it takes no real time at all. And disk space is so cheap, that does not really matter.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

it says much that Norton is not ready for W8 and Macrium 5 has been out a year and is already W8 compatible. Macrium are clearly on the ball. With quite a few experienced users here coupled with its, so far, good reliability I don't think Macrium technical support is essential. Quite possibly Acronis and Paragon are very good but i don't think there are many here who could converse about them when things don't work or one is trying learn something about them...Macrium is the devil we know apart from Norton with one or two here....you being one Irv. :)

Whilst I remeber Irv, you can slide the amount of priority you want to give the image-making process so it doesn't swallow all system resources and slow it down when you are doing other stuff.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Again AGREE with (whs).

FULL image is the way to go.

Use (whs) WAIK version he made and loaded up on Sky Drive https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211812

OR Make your own Bootable USB Stick that you can run virtually as a Ram Drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....px?id=5753
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....px?id=5188
http://images2.store.microsoft.....D-tool.exe

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Tony, I never needed Ghost support, and I've been using it for years, I think since they started numbering then, but I did need forum access to ask questions and occasionally to find answers to some oddities. It looks like a KEY is needed to actually get into their forums. Heck, I'll buy ONE STANDARD if I need be I guess?

I don't know who 'messed' up with Ghost? Symantec or MS? I suspect a little of both. MS's W8 Advisor claims Ghost is OK, and Symantec it seems wasn't aware it didn't work? I'll assume this transpired and Symantec tested Ghost on a preview release and it worked and told MS it was good. Symantec then didn't see a need to test under the RTM since it worked on the last preview. MS however did change things between the preview and RTM, like try and lock out programs that went straight to the desktop. So who's fault is that? I'd say shared blame.

Don't forget V5 was released on Nov. 1st, I suspect V4.2 doesn't support W8?

@LF, I always do FULL images. With incremental or differentials restoration is not a single restore. If you are looking a for a specific file you'd have more files to look at to find the one you want. A more complicated restore for my wife. We do one week periods and save 5 or so of each drive. Yeah, takes space, but large drives are cheap. If something happens during the week the only important data would be some e-mails, and we have command files to copy all e-mails off. Same goes for other stuff put on the disks. One thing we do is move almost all but the OS off of C:, some usually it isn't a big deal if the OS goes bad to just restore that. We also always image the drive we're restoring so if something that was needed was missed we can get it back.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I wanted to do incrementals instead of differentials because each differential includes all the new and modified files since the last full backup, meaning each one takes more time than the previous. Since differential includes changes/additions since the previous full backup, I was thinking the differentials would quickly get as big as the full backup. Since you mentioned doing differentials, it has dawned on me the total number of changes in a week aren't going to be all that great. So, when and if I do upgrade (I'm also about ready to pull the trigger on a color laser printer and spending tthat much money all at once makes me nervous, even if I do have it), I will look into doing differentials instead of incrementals. Thanks for the tip.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

But if you have all that room on the HDDs, why don't you just make full images. That is a lot less troublesome - plus you need not pay for the Pro version of Macrium. Sounds logical, doesn't it ?? - LOL.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I'm guessing you mean me (you posted while I was editing my post; the old brain works slowly). True, I have plenty of HDD space but full backups take a fair amount of time. Limiting the backups to once a week means if I have a HDD failure, I would lose everything since the last backup, which could mean up to a week's worth of data. That's why I want to do daily backups. Full backups on a daily basis take too long and put more wear and tear on the hardware, hence the desire for incremental (and, now, differential) back ups.

Other than a reluctance to spend a lot of money all at once, I'm not worried about the cost of the upgrade (even for two since I have two machines) since I plan on keeping Win 7 for a long time and I'm the kind of person who, as long as something is working for me, will keep using using it. Version 5 is fairly new, so it will probably be around for a while anyway so the upgrade will pretty much be a one-time investment.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

I really don't understand the time worry. When the imaging starts, there is a 'hide' button. You click that and go on doing something else. Macrium then minimizes to the tasktray where you can always check progress or unhide it. But when it is done, it reappears automatically.

And regarding the wear and tear, I really do not think that this is a problem. The normal OS operation reads and writes a thousand times more each day.

Btw: I assume you know that you can schedule the Macrium images - e.g. at a certain time of day, or at boot time, etc. Just right click on the xml file and you will see.

An alternate backup strategy is to create weekly images plus daily restore points for the case that something happens during the week.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ok, I was unaware that one could be using the computer while making an image.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Have a look at the last sentence I added to the above post - would that be something. Restore points take very little time.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've had problems with restore points not working in the past. Besides, they don't help any if the HDD goes completely south.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

That is a fair point. In a well maintained system, they do their job halfway OK. But if the HDD goes south, that is another problem. I use SSDs, so the risk is a lot smaller than with a spinner.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Nothing Better than Fast SSDs running in Raid Arrays.................. :) :) Overclocked Bus (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Rick, one day you will get whiplash. LOL

Posted 4 years ago

hArLtRoN

Rick, your computer is just insane! LOL!

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

Irv:

V5 has been out a year:

"Macrium Reflect v4.2 and earlier are not compatible with Windows 8.

Also, please note that it has been over a year since Macrium Reflect v5.0 was released. This means that all support for version 4.2 has now ended.

If you wish to use Reflect with Windows 8, please upgrade to version 5. Along with Win8 compatibility, you also will receive a year of support and many new features (www.macrium.com/pages/features.aspx)."

On the subject of System Restore i think it's as good as Windows Imaging LOL! It's turned off mostly unless I want to try something out quickly (like testing to get rid of persistent toolbars for example) and revert it when I can't be bothered to reimage. :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

GTX 690s need H2O Cooling Bad........... (LOL) :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

My next desktop will have an SSD boot drive (SATA III) for Win 7 and my programs only. I'll only have room and SATA ports for one and still have room and ports for the number of data drives I will eventually want (SSDs are still too expensive for massive storage). Not using RAID will be simpler and I won't have to worry about little details like replacing TRIM. Besides, it will run 24/7 so boot times aren't a huge concern and loading programs won't take all that long. Heck, all but two of my programs (calibre and Media Monkey) don't take long to start up on my Win 7 notebook's spinner (and it's a 5400 RPM drive). I don't open calibre (the one that takes longest to start) all that often and, with 16 GB of RAM, I could afford to just let Media Monkey idle in the background when I'm not using it. Both take a while to start only the first time after booting the computer; after that, they start reasonably fast (keep in mind, this is on a spinner).

I just timed the startup time for Media Monkey on my notebook for the first time after booting it up and it took a whopping 13 seconds. Big whoop. Just a single SSD will knock that way down. Halving that time with a RAID isn't going to be enough of a difference to be worth the trouble and cost.

I just timed Media Monkey's second start up time and it was only 5 seconds.

Ok, I just checked calibre's start times. The first one was 48 seconds; the second one, six seconds.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

You need Windows 8 if you're ever going to get that high boot time down for sure !!!! :) :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/e....._FPP_Light

AND these

http://thessdreview.com/daily-.....-capacity/

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I am not the least bit interested in Windows 8.

I had this in mind for my SSD. At least it's affordable.

Of course, by the time I'm actually ready to build the machine, newer models will be out and prices already dropping (the 840 hasn't been out all that long).

Posted 4 years ago

whs

That Samasung is a top rated SSD. There is also an 830 model which is cheaper and is just as good for the OS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820147163

If I were you, I would just get it and put it into your current system. You can always later transfer it to another box - maybe - that's how I ended up with 6 SSDs, LOL.

Here is how you install it and transfer the OS: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ystem.html

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

There is also a non-Pro version of the 840 that is cheaper (and slower).

My only Win7 machine is my notebook. It has 262 GB on its 500 GB spinner and there is no way I would be able to cram my data, etc. onto a 120 GB SSD. The cost of an SSD big enough for the notebook is out of the question as is putting a drive in temporarily. Besides, it’s still under warranty so I don’t want to be messing with it.

My desktop is an XP machine. It’s not compatible with Win7. According to Micro$not’s compatibility program, it would run Win7 but only with restrictions; no Aero features at all, for example. I couldn’t care less about Glass. I could live without peek but there is no way I would do without Snap (I do have an aftermarket program that emulates Aerosnap in XP but I doubt it would run on Win7. Also, you can’t use TRIM in XP and I don't want to manually clean it up (I still remember the garbage collection headaches on my C64c). And, as much trouble as I have had with the desktop, I would just as soon not mess with it. I need to keep it running anyway while I get the new machine running.

As I said, if I just wait until I’m ready to build the machine, prices will be lower and there may be something better out for the same price by then.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Imaging can be a LOAD on the system resources. I know Ghost was not even noticeable when it was running on recent computers we have/had. Even a slow one by today's standards, a Core2-Duo 2.13 Ghz Intel with 7200RPM IDE drives and 2GB's of RAM running XP Media Center we never knew it was running. On the Intel i7's not noticeable at all until we try to shutdown when it is running, then we find out <VBG>...

The system load is what usually separates the backup programs. I'll see how Macrium is probably later today or tomorrow.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

OK, installed it and ran a test imaging of 3 partitions on 2 physical drives under W8.

I've got some 'issues'. All having to do with the SYSTRAY... I did take pictures and here they are :

The ONLY difference between the 2, the first one DID NOT have ALL the icons to be shown on the Systray, the 2nd one did. You'll see I had Macrium open, that is the TASK tray of the TASKBAR. The SYSTRAY has expanded with a BUNCH of 'empty' icons'. If I go to the CUSTOMIZE I see MANY MACRIUM 'type' icons (not the normal ones but thin green bars on the bottom probably depicting progress). Once Macrium finished, the Systray returned to normal.

Did NOT see anything like this mention in the forums they have either?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

POSSIBLE SHOW STOPPER for me...

Look HERE at the V5 Tutorial... it shows DSM, Disk Space Manager, that can limit the number of images per partition/drive.

I do NOT have this, is this NOT in the FREE version or another W8 oddity?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

Just checked, it's not in the free version...you need to buy it to have that facility.

If that's a real killer for you download the trial version and see if that fits better.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Yeah, I didn't realize what Disk Space Management meant. Surely needed if you don't want to manually manage the backups it seems.

So now I'm back to thinking of the others as possibilities again, Acronis and Paragon, as well as what/if Symantec comes up with?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Well, I just pulled the trigger on Macrium Reflect Pro 4 pk.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Irv, I think that 'disk space management' is a non issue. I have assigned a couple of 500GB and 640GB disks for images only and it takes a while for those to fill. From time to time I go in and weed them out. At least that way I am in control and not some algorithm that does things that I may not want.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Irv, Have you tried booting your system with your Ghost recovery disk and making your image that way?
I had the win8 preview installed a while back and that's how I was able to make my win8 images. A little cumbersome but it worked.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Germ, well, Ghost has one identified problem and some it seems NOT identified.

The main problem is that you can NOT put the license in, keeps saying it is invalid. Seems to be due to registry change. The program does work but it has the 30 day trial clock running. After 30 days it will no longer work. Folks say all you need do it wipe it clean and re-install and you'll have another 30 days.

This is Symantec's 'formal' response :

=====================
Symantec does not have a Windows 8-compatible version of Norton Ghost at this time. Ghost continues to be fully compatible with the Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 platforms. Attempting to install or use Norton Ghost on Windows 8 may result in unexpected results, such as incomplete imaging.

Symantec recommends using Norton Online Backup to protect your important files in a secure, remote location in the cloud. Should you need to back up files using Windows 8, you can use the File History feature of the new operating system. And to refresh and restore your computer, users can use the Advanced Recovery Tools found in the Control Panel. For small businesses, Symantec recommends Symantec System Recovery to create full image backups of your PC. Symantec System Recovery 2013 is planned to be Windows 8 compatible and available in Q1 CY2013.

We will announce updates as they become available. Thank you for your ongoing support and interest in Norton Ghost.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
========================

Clear indication that one might need to use something else but it will not be available until early next year.

Of course, this part bothers me, "Attempting to install or use Norton Ghost on Windows 8 may result in unexpected results, such as incomplete imaging."

It seems that there are more than 4 ways to do the imaging, Ghost, Acronis, Macrium, and Paragon. Not all have W8 solutions though. As far as Macrium goes, I need the disk management, so I'm looking at the fee based version. I could probably rig up something to delete the first set or do it manually, but I don't want too. I assume most use it here as it is free. Others cost generally. I don't want to make a project of determining which I should buy or which is best? System 'load' is subjective anyway, and with a 1TB drive devoted to backups (I keep 5 copies, one per week of 3 partitions) space or I should say compression isn't a big deal to worry about.

What I need is :

- Automated backup and if the computer is off when scheduled it be started on next boot or at least a warning (like Ghost did) that one was missing and do I was to do it?
- Disk space cleaner that removed older backups after x images are there.
- Easy single file recovery using the application
- No notice on the system that it is running and no noticeable effects on system usage.
- Easy restore.

I was hoping people who used ANY of the various imaging programs can provide information to help me make a decision.

Oh, the last line in the above announcement, "We will announce updates as they become available. Thank you for your ongoing support and interest in Norton Ghost." can be read as there will be a Ghost update to fix this problem. I've paid for it, don't know if I should wait or not? Can't get an answer out of Symantec at all?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Hmm, looks like Paragon has release v12... supports W8.

FREE 'compact' version available HERE today only.

Got it down, and if the FULL is the same as the compact, I don't like it. You have to 'create' a 'capsule' it seems to manage backup space, and I assume that means iterations of images... no thanks.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Irv, If you go to Paragon Hm pg there is a little note saying support for windows 8 coming soon. Guess the compact version is the only one win8 ready.
Have you tried booting with the Ghost recovery disk then making your image from outside windows environment

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Germ, yeah, but the 'feature list' shows that 12 supports W8, but the compact and standard. I did take it down, and it doesn't limit the number of images, but you can carve out a 'capsule' on a drive that will limit space used. Don't want to do that.

I took down the Acronis program trial. It will limit the images saved. Maybe the one I want?

Just hoping others here can share experiences on the one they use?

My wife just woke up to Ghost not being registered... went on Symantec and couldn't find info, and then started a chat. Never was able to connect, I guess they were busy or out to lunch... but they have posted a FAQ that W8 isn't supported.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Some 'interesting' data I found while under test...

Ghost image size on my W7 system :

C: 47GB's
K: 128GB's

Installed Acronis True Image and make same images :

Acronis combines the images into one file, 168GB's

Default compression used in both.

Windows 8 machine Ghost images :

C: 36GB's
D: 98GB's
E: 6GB's

Macruim installed on W8

C: 33GB's
D+E: 104GB's

Now I didn't do much more the ensure the data was the same, these images were done on different dates, and there could be some file/folder optimizations done. At first blush it appears Macrium and Ghost do the same compression (on Win8 there were some programs installed on C: between the dates of the images).

The W7 situation surprised me. Larger to Acronis and I can't determine why? Nothing really changed on the system between the images?

I'm thinking I'll need to get Macrium fee based version. However now I've been led to believe Norton will have a W8 solution 'early next year' for Ghost... and knowing what they did in the past, new version...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

I used Ghost for a long time and now I use free Macrium. I personally think that Macrium is the better product. Much easier to use and super reliable. I never saw a need for the pro version. But then I am a fan of full images - I really don't like incrementals and differentials.

Regarding the compression ratio, you can, of course, change the ratio. But I never saw a need to do that. The compression on the OS partition is usually bigger than on a data partition. The reason is because the OS partition houses a lot of 'storage' areas like pagefile and hiberfile that are being compressed to nothing.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

With the FREE version Bill you MUST manually handle the disk space, no? I guess as it saves images when you can't fit one in you get a warning and then manually free space? OK for me, but not too sure about for my wife? Have I got that correct or am I missing something?

I only do FULL IMAGES too, and keep 5 iterations, one per week. Occasionally I'll save off a set to an external drive 'just in case', but have never needed that. Bigger problem I hit is my wife 'doing something wrong' or 'picking up something she shouldn't' and on a few occasions I've had to do a rollback to the last image. I've got scripts to run to save e-mails and other 'constantly' changing data. Only problem is most games hide stuff in the registry and it is quite hard to locate where and know what the value is. So she loses up to 1 weeks progress in any game she's played, complains, but hasn't killed me over that yet <VBG>.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Yes, with the free version you have to manage the space yourself. But that should not be too much of a problem. All you need is a dedicated large external HDD that can fit plenty of images and review then once per month.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

Could some disk monitor via a program or script be set up for the backup drive to notify when the disk reaches a preset space threshold?

Posted 4 years ago

whs

That is really not necessary. When you try to make an image and there is not enough space, it will tell you. And then you can do your housekeeping. I think we are complicating a simple matter.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

It is a 1TB drive, but the PAGEFILE is on that drive and it is used randomly for some 'junk' files Bill. Still, trying to get 7 or so weekly images could be a pain. Yes String, I guess that could be done, but removing an image has to be done via the application. More to teach my wife. I think Windows even has/has that feature, I know W7 does. However the size of the image might be a problem as you'd have to leave a large size as the warning size, maybe 200GB's?

Like I said, Norton now is stating they expect to have a 'new' product soon...

===============
The identical solution to Ghost 15 is SSR 2013 desktop edition, which should release in the coming weeks. I am working with the beta team to allow Ghost users like yourself to download and test this software.
===============

Also as part of that message was this :

===============
A new version of Ghost is likely not going to happen by the end of the year. Until a new version of Ghost releases, you can use the Ghost CD to create images
===============

Reading between the lines so to speak, even if Ghost is updated it will be a NEW version. Ghost will work OUTSIDE of Windows, it is the automated within Windows when it is running that is suspect.

So far, from what I've seen, I think I'd go Macrium paid to get the disk space manager function, however, the way the taskbar 'blew up' when running in W8 worries me. I did NOT see this mentioned in their forums either, matter of fact only a few even mention W8, but this ONE did and does have me concerned to say the least... yes, only one report but their forum is NOT very active either?

Anyone HERE use it with W8 and KNOWS it works? Did you see the same Systray 'blow up' I did?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Looks like another to look at...

http://www.farstone.com/softwa.....ry-pro.php

It seems all the 3 PC licenses are around the same price too?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

Irv

You are venturing into the dark... . I'll stick my neck out and say you only have two choices: Ghost or Macrium. Acronis is not reliable enough when I've checked it out in the past. There's only one thing that ultimately absolutely matters and that's reliability in the backup world.

whs

I was thinking of Irv's wife with regard to the disk space alert so she had a clear warning.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I'm leaning towards Macrium too, but that break up of the Systray bothers me. Also no icon on it for Reflect? I have not really looked hard at it, but I suspect it is a task for service that is used to do the backups.

Still, silence from people here who are using it and W8 is worrisome. Same for the forums they have which is not heavily used (this could be a good thing too)?

It appears waiting for Norton/Symantec will only cost me more anyway. They don't sell 3 PC packages of Ghost which is not cheap to begin with. I can wait a few weeks, 2 left on the 'trial, and I can always re-install it it seems and get a new 30 days...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

People who only have the free version can't use the forum and I suspect the vast majority use free which obviously satisfies their needs sufficiently to warrant buying it. The relative lack of forum questions, extrapolated from my 3 years of using it, is that it is very to straightforward to understand and use and it is super-reliable which reduces the number of potential queries . It's far too soon to make judgements about its performance with W8 and don't forget imaging is a minority, presently geeky, activity which we are trying to promote! ;)

I thought of this :D ;

http://www.admad.tv/view/412/c.....ercial-ad/

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

The BEST way to make an Image is to Boot from Bootable media and run the image program entirely in ram.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

What on earth is this Transsylvanian method ?? LOL

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.