The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Win7 install on new comp with only keyboard no mouse

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by EZorb
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 2356 times

EZorb

How do you put a check in accept box for the agreement of windows 7 when the motherboard only has one PS2 receptial to be used for either keyboard or mouse. Your USB mouse won't work, no drivers.
So what is the short cut for keyboard to give focus on check box as checked so that grayed Next key can be tabbed to continue Windows 7 install?

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

In Windows, usually its the Tab key to move around options and Space key to choose (put a dot/check). To use a USB mouse at this point of installation, you enable USB mouse or something like legacy USB in the BIOS.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

EZorb, hi and welcome. Would help if you could give further detail, make, model (tower, laptop), old/new machine etc.
This is to decide whether your system can even run win 7 because what you describe is odd.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

EZorb

The above question was asked for a brand new build using a GA-870A-UD3 motherboard (my first GIGABYTE BUILD), new WD 1TB, and 8GB Kingston. This question was intended to be only software issue not hardware related, sorry if I did not make that clear. This is the first time I have encountered only one PS/2 mouse/keyboard on a motherboard. So I spent hours searching to find how to get focus on the box for acceptance and did not find anything addressing this shortcut. So I started trying various combination and found nothing to work. Next I just started pushing down whole hand wide of keys and it finally moved on to next step. The Tab Key will not work but some combination using the Space Bar does.

I believe G41M has the answer or close to it. So where did you find this out? Would someone verify the correct process and then move this Post to Solved. Someone else may come across this issue, first for me.

Thanks,

Larry

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

Aside from the Tab key, try combination of Alt + Tab, Shift + Tab or the Arrows keys to move around. Space bar to Select. Then use the aforementioned keys to go to the "I Agree" then press Enter.

Have you tried attaching a USB mouse before powering up your PC? Strange because in my Gigabyte board I was able to Install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate using a USB keyboard and mouse.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.