• Topic Viewed 35773 times

vistamike

Fun and games to come?

Public release 22nd February

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Mike so true !!!!

However SP-1 is Badly needed as the Updates are so many now.

This is the way the folks using Vista had to make a Slipstream Version of Windows Vista with SP-1.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....vista-rtm/

Am Hoping MS has a BETTER Method for creating a Windows 7-SP1 installation image / DVD although using imageX plux the AIK is the correct method for working with WIMs.

It would be nice if Users could just Verify their Genuine Copy of Win7 and MS or the OEMs would mail them a new pre-integrated Windows 7 installation Disc for a nominal postal fee BUT those days are gone forever I think. :(

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

More InFo + Schedule.

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2011-02-09

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

If you're not intending to install, for whatever reason, please do not post on this thread.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....fault.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u.....fault.aspx

Not really sure how this works as I'm not a paid subscriber.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

MS AIK Download Page
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Readme File
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....y/dd349350(WS.10).aspx

Posted 6 years ago

DarklordZwei

No problems here. Install went very smooth.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

NO problems installing SP-1 from ISO DVD.

However, there are (2) late breaking Updates which were NOT included in the
Final Package that should be installed also.

(KB2484033)
(KB2488113)

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

I got 4 files down, the 2 Rick mentioned and another 'optional' one, as well as the SP1.

All seems 'well' for now.

Time will tell.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

just did mine no problems ... as yet :) got the 2 rick mentioned first :):)

mark .

Posted 6 years ago

dalevista7

installing sp 1 now. I did all the other above mentioned updates first so far everything is fine.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Several things I didn't mention in my post above but just reminders.

After Successful Installation of SP-1:

1. The 100 or so regular Log Files need to be cleared.
2. Disk Cleanup utility should be run.
(NOTE) Do NOT delete the Service Pack Backup Files until sure everything is running properly.
3. The O/S Mechanical Hard Drive should be Defraged to Zero Fragmentation.
(NOTE) This should be done several times with a Clean Boot in between.
4. Each and Every O/S settings should be re-checked for proper configuration.
5. A Backup image of the O/S Partition or Hard Dive should be made.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

dalevista7

install aborted. checked the stats seems I have been running on sp 1 since I purchased the notebook in oct. 2010!

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

@thanks rick thanks doing now :):)

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

@dalevista7, if it was on there when you bought it, it would have the beta or RC version. You will need to uninstall it before RTM will work/install

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Interesting 'tidbit' on W7 x64. After the SP1 install, the 2 others Rick mentions, and one optional, later in the day Windows Update came back with another fix????

A security update, KB2479628?

==================
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-012 - Important
Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2479628)
Published: February 08, 2011

Version: 1.0
General Information
Executive Summary

This security update resolves five privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

This security update is rated Important for all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by correcting the way the Windows kernel-mode drivers validate input passed from user mode. For more information about the vulnerabilities, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.

Recommendation. The majority of customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

For administrators and enterprise installations, or end users who want to install this security update manually, Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update at the earliest opportunity using update management software, or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.
============================

Published on the 8th but not included Tuesday?

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

@Irv, interesting point.
I did the SP1 install this morning
Downloading and the installation was like watching the proverbial paint dry. I did as the HTG and followed Rick P's suggestions (thanks Rick). But instead 'of walking away for a while' I had a few small glasses of sherry

An hour later the paint was dry and so was the sherry.

So now win 7 ultimate 32bit sp1 and another nigh on 600mb purloined from my hard drive.

No probs and no differences seen as yet. Boot time, no change, apps opening as they should

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Untill I did a quick update after and then this.....

Great stuff

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Greetings all,

After the update I ran into two small issues. One, an occasional 'buzzing' sound, much like a phone set on vibrate (I actually checked my phone twice before I realized it was coming from my speakers). It would last for a few seconds then stop, repeating every couple of minutes.

The other issue was just a general sluggishness of the system in general. Slow loads on web pages, delay of mouse and keyboard, etc.

After about 20 minutes or so I gave it a reboot and thus far everything is back to normal.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

One can see how the SP-1 installation progressed by checking the dism.log

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

NO need to post the HUGE log file here unless you have a specific problem with just a portion of the installation.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

When confident that the SP-1 is running perfectly and one wants to remove the Installation Backup Files:

1. Defrag the Mechanical Hard Drive to Zero Fragmentation.
2. Reboot
3. Open an Administrative CMD Prompt.
4. Type or Copy this command [ dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded ] without brackets.
5. Let the remove process finish and receive the Completed Prompt.
6. Close all and Re-boot.
7. Defrag the Mechanical Hard Drive to Zero Fragmentation.
8. Reboot.

Posted 6 years ago

Seasider

@ raphoenix. I was going to remove it using Windows Disk Cleanup. Would it make a difference?
Download and install took 1 hour 20. No problems I can see. Defrag check came back as minimal, ran anyway. I'm waiting for the bomb to go off. lol

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Seasider,

To be truthful, I don't know how much the Disk Cleanup will Cleanup. :)

However, I'm confident that the method above will remove the Backup Files properly.

Windows 7 doesn't pass the Grandma, Noobie OR even the Average User test when it comes to Complication.

It is by no means a simple O/S to operate in for anybody. (LOL) (LOL)

NO worries, we all keep learning until the day we move on. :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Seasider

Thanks Rick, will follow your advice.

Harry.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Download Site for Windows 7 SP-1 Packages.
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Rick, after running DISK CLEANUP, dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded returns it can't find anything to do. So Disk Cleanup removing the SP1 saved data appears to work fine too.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

raphoenix

@Irv and Mike,

That's Great confirmation on the Disk Cleanup issue.

Now there are (2) ways of doing it. :)

I guess what's left to do is starting posting howtos for making an Integrated Installation Disc
with Win7 and SP-1 Combined.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

spin498

Are MS's servers down? I installed SP1 on laptop first night no issues, but right now my PC won't download any updates, just hangs there.

Posted too soon, after 40 mins I got updates, but none of them were SP1.

Posted 6 years ago

sonotageek

I haven't found anyone talking about the particular problem I'm experiencing: I installed the "pre-release" of SP1 (Beta) and I need to uninstall it before I install the final version. However, my uninstall attempts fail. The message I receive post-attempt is this: "Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting changes." I've tried doing the uninstall in Safe Mode but got the same result.

I was thinking I might have accidentally deleted the backup files made (by the system) during the Beta install. Does anyone know the folder path to these files so I can verify my hunch?

Stats: Windows 7 HP x64
Intel i5

Posted 6 years ago

Fishlove

Now, i know, i should have done a wait and see approach on installing this, b/c it would have been a little less headache for me. But Im the type of guy always looking to pull every last bit of performance out of my PC. But seriously? ONE program i install and run...Driver Sweeper, and my whole install experience goes to hell? I tried all the other options, praying i wouldnt have to do the Worst Case Scenario...then i did it...i did an in place upgrade just to make SP1 happy. Now, i have a folder full of my old profiles, and being this is my first time having to do this...do i just copy the folder into my Users section and everything except for nearly everything i installed will be ok? i know im a bit off topic, but this is a headache trying to re create all the tweaks for all the programs, im just glad that i have the old user profiles so all the old scores on the games my wife and i had should be safe. Id love to throttle Phyxion. I will never use Driver Sweeper again

Posted 6 years ago

LH

sonotageek. Can you ask your question in a New Topic please.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

One way to make a Windows 7 and SP-1 Integrated Disc.
http://www.intowindows.com/how.....n-dvd-iso/

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Fishlove

I have had enough problems in the last 24 hours with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to warrant an uninstall. between the 5 minute boot times, Flash player problems, Bink video problems in a game, Ive had enough. Its my own fault for being an early adopter and thinking this update would help me pull a lil more kick out of my PC, but until i see some sort of fix, I'm done with it. As it is, i had to an Upgrade Install to even get the pack to install (thank you Driver Sweeper). So, if you are considering installing SP1...wait it out.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

NOT good advice in the above posting concerning waiting HOWEVER a system must clean and ready BEFORE installing any Updates or Service Packs.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Fishlove

well, i believe i have traced my two major problems to :
1) a faulty game install-re installing fixed it
2) i dont think ie 9 is ready for prime time..i went back and forth trying to get Flash to work with Youtube with no results, i must have gone to Adobe's page 100 times lol. (PS yes i am aware of the Hardware Acceleration tweak for Flash...if im gonna have it installed, i might as well be able to use it to its full potential)

And i installed and ran a trial version of Tune Up Utilities to see if there were any problems with my system. there were some and it fixed them.
Im debating doing a re install of SP1, but im not sure i want to invest all that time...

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Fishlove,

I suggest a Clean Install of Windows 7 from scratch.

Then

Apply SP-1 Installation from ISO Setup Disc.

The reason is that from your posting above, the machine appears to still have many issues.

Tis a "Tuff" solution I know but is the BEST FULL PROOF SOLUTION.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....pack-1-sp1

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Delluser190

I installed Windows 7 SP-1 about one week ago from the download with no apparent problems.
I don't know if this is related to the SP install or not but when I rebooted my computer after being away for several days
I was presented with the warning that I had a illegal copy of Windows 7. I had done a new install of 7 on a new hard drive
and had been using it, including doing all updates, since 8-18-2010 with no problems.
I had purchased Windows 7 Home Premium from a listing on Craig's List who was selling it for $65.00. Apparently my copy was not
counterfeit but was a copy not licensed for private sale. The listing was advertised as Computer Service FL, in Bonita Springs, FL
Sean McTeague, Phone: 239-494-5135. I now have a legal Product Key. BUYER BEWARE!

Howard W.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

HD activity light still keeps going like the everyready bunny after installing windows 7 SP1. On 2 systems everything settled down after defragging but on one system it looks like the hd is in a continuous defrag mode. Have removed and reinstalled through regular updates with the same results. HD light keeps blinking again almost like it is defragging my hd. Same software on 2 of the 3 systems, different results, one keeps on going and the other appears to be acting normal.
Appreciate and suggestions, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Tom,

Yep, something is not configured right for sure.

Am looking at my light, May Be a "Faint Blink" every 25 Secs are so.

Did you use Defraggler for defragging ??

What about Windows Indexer configuration ??

What AV and what's it doing in real time ??

Are ALL Processes the SAME in ALL Machines ??

Are ALL Services the SAME in ALL Machines ??

Are ALL 50 are so Built-in Tasks configured the SAME on ALL machines ??

Browsers, Caches, Startups, Etc. on ALL machines the SAME ??

You know the routine. :) :) Machine Setup and Configuration always takes about a day. (LOL) :)

Have to go through HUNDREDS of settings in Win7 to run a Good Machine.

Friend,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

PS: Thought of another issue: File / Folder Shares Synchronization "especialy on networks" ??

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Rick,
I think I finally got it worked out. Hdd ligh now blinks about the same as yours. I ran Malware and had a couple of cookies that appeared to be the culprit.
Deleted them and everything works fine. Funny I run Ccleaner everyday and I would have thought it would have picked those up & deleted them.

Thanks for the tips & suggestions
Tom

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Tom,

GREAT !!! :) :)

Insure Ccleaner Configuration Item Box:

Only delete files in temp folders older than 24 hours is UN-CHECKED so it's gets 'um ALL IMMEDIATELY !!

Default is Checked and folks forget to setup.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

bobzy

how come when i installed service pack 1 for windows 7 home its made my computer keep not responding all the time tryed most off registry fixes still doing it

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

If you are experiencing problems then you should uninstall the Service pack. Then do all your updates again. SP1 will not install unless you check it in the box.
Don't bother with registry fixes at all, that will not help and will make the situation worse.
Uninstall it for now.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bobzy

how do you uninstall it just gone to but dont say uninstall on it but other updates do

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

OK, Control Panel > Windows Update > (bottom of page click Installed updates)
Locate the kb under windows. highlight it and click uninstall in the toolbar.
If you deleted the setup files you will have a problem.
Try a sp install again (so you have the setup/backup files)
You may have to reinstall windows

But see this as well http://windows.microsoft.com/uninstallwindows7sp1

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bobzy

dont say uninstall so al do it through command promt

Posted 6 years ago

bobzy

could microsoft isatap adapter and teredo tunneling adapter be the problem with my pc cos they wont update got the yellow triangle thing on them

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

That might explain things but I have no knowledge of teredo, so watch this space!

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

teredo is Ok. UDP Port #s are nomally 56388.
This is too much explanation. :)
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....57011.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

isatap adapter was a problem in Vista on some machines.

Could?? be an issue in Windows 7.
See if this applies.
http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....58d2ed96e9

Will continue to research the issue.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Wicked

I just had Win7 SP1 Load through WSUS, came up with the fatal error 00000034, did the registry edit just to get back into the machine, then after that all worked fine except for internet , connecting to web sites even www.google.com gives me an access denied message, some pages load the home page and when you click on any link you get the access denied message again,this is using ie8 or firefox 4 .
running Windows 7 Pro X64 bit on Z800 HP desktop, 2 x xeon quad core processors,24gb ram, 2tb hard drive, nvidia 4800 quadro.

Any Ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Wicked,

Probably your best bet with that HP OEM machine is to contact HP Business Support or Microsoft directly.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....skId=22362

Although it appears to a [ software issue only ], it wouldn't surprise me if the
Bios needs updating for the service pack.

If it were a Build, would be easier to giver you a good answer.
http://www.directron.com/dual.html

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ridgerunner114

win7 pro 64 sp1 install disaster.My computer is a build.After installing sp1 i had no control of the computer.No matter what i clicked on the msg. access denided.Could not uninstall through control panel even in safe mode finally in safe mode system restore i restored back to before installing sp1.Now everything is normal runs smooth as silk but no sp1..I am going to see if there is a bios update for my mother board other than that help please.

Charles

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

ridgerunner114,

Enable the real built-in Administrator account.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Reboot

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/make-windows-vista-log-on-automatically/

Reboot

Login as the machine build-in Administrator and then install the the SP-1.

See if that works for you.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

ridgerunner114

Ok thanks,i have installed the built in Administrator and tested and it works ok,Now i am trying to get the nerve to install sp1 lol.Will let you know the results thanks again.

Charles

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

If NO-GO this time, will have to do a Clean Install and then Apply SP-1.
SO
Be Sure to follow this BEFORE attempting again. :) :)
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....pack-1-sp1

Rest assured, there is nothing wrong with SP-1.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Seasider

Sorry to disagree with you Rick, but I think in some circumstances there is something wrong with SP1. I did install as per MS instructions and tried, as they suggest, both download locations.
Thought it was alright but then strange things happening. Windows update took the Microsoft products option out and Internet Explorer acted crazy then wouldn't work. Tried re-installing IE a few times but same sequence each time. Checking with Microsoft FixIt got confusing, it kept detecting my system as Vista or XP instead of Windows 7. System restore didn't solve the problems nor did un-installing SP1. Finally gave up and restored to before installation with external backup. No problems now so leaving SP1 well alone for a long time.

Harry

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Harry,

Is a strange set of of circumstances indeed.

Because of your bad experience, I suggest the following.

The BEST way to install SP-1 is to make a (Slipstream) installation DVD.

Setup HD Geometry First and then do a Clean Install from scratch with the [ integrated ] installation DVD.

Unless by chance one has a really odd-ball computer, this method is almost full proof just like
with old XP slipstream service pack installations.

http://www.intowindows.com/how.....n-dvd-iso/

I'm going to have to make and post a more [ up-to-date ] tutorial when I have time and am feeling better.

May be on a New "Sandy Bridge" Rig !?!? (LOL) :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

anthonywerner

Sometime after my SP1 installation, I had an issue where Windows Media Center Scheduler Service would not start with Windows, even though it was set to automatically start up. This meant my TV shows did not get recorded when WMC was not running. I tried several things, and finally decided to reinstall windows from my Windows 7 DVD (not the clean install, the "upgrade" install that saves my progams and settings).

Unfortunatey, with SP1, it refused to run that installation, saying I had a "more recent version of Windows." I also was unable to reinstall SP1 from install DVD I had downloaded. It said SP1 was already installed.

So, I had to ininstall SP1, and then I could do the update install from the Windows 7 DVD; after which I reinstalled SP1.

The moral is, if you want to reserve the right to reinstall Windows without the "clean" install which destroys everything, you should not delete your uninstall files for SP1.

I'll let you know whether this solves my WMC problem.

Posted 6 years ago

anthonywerner

The reinstallation of Windows 7 (not clean install) and of Win7 SP1 did not solve the problem in which Windows Media Center Scheduler Service would not start with Windows. The only way to ensure it is running is to go into Services and start it manually, or to start WMC. Upon doing that, my scheduled recordings start in progress at the time I start the service or WMC.

P.S. Scheduler service also was unreliable in starting after the new Win7 installation prior to installing SP1.

Posted 6 years ago

AtaRobert

I get a problem when installing to shame I can have it on my pc cause it just won't install.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

AtaRobert. I don't understand your post. Please can you start a New Topic, and explain what you mean.

Posted 6 years ago

AtaRobert

I get a error code when install the new serivce pack when I'm on my pc next I will post the subject since I'm going on holiday to spain taking my iPad since they have wifi.

Posted 6 years ago

Lilndn

Did my SP1 x64 10 days ago and all went well and it has been playing nice, so far.
FTW < Freedom Thru Wisdom >
Lil_ndn

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Not to enter into the controversay but I DISAGREE with Woody Leonhard and many others.

Win7 SP1 and ALL following Updates SHOULD be installed as they contain O/S Kernel Fixes.

As most know, I run a Super Clean Perfect older machine and have not had to ever re-image system since Win7 initial installation in December 2010.

This does not mean that others will not have problems if they are running out-dated versions of Office or
other non-conforming software.

I'm NOT a "Fanboy" of any O/S but I do think MS is making great efforts to over come the problems they encounted with the release of Vista and not repeat their same mistakes with Windows 7.

==========

To fix the update process would be simple matter.

Just have an internal timer that initates an information pop up every so many days to check for updates.

When the computer visits the MS Manual Update Site, the timer would be re-set for another period whether or not any updates were downloaded or installed.

For those that Never wish to visit the MS update site at all, there would be a button on the information pop-up to change a registry setting to never see information update pop-up again.

Thus it would be up to the owner of a machine whether to update the O/S or not and the Automatic Updates Feature could be done away with completely.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

bluesburgh

Ok...gonna try to tell yinz what happened to me.....I bought a Gateway laptop with and AMD....Long story short, as soon as i got home i put activated Win 7 R2 Ultimate on....immediately found SP1, and after a looonnnggg download, it went through the install....after a shutdown and configuring to 30%, restart and tried to configure the rest of the way, and it stopped, reverted changes, and restarted with a failed install of SP1.....I did this about four times over the course of 3 days. So, before I could even see how powerful the new beast was, I was fiddling around with a Service Pack that I personally can't tell the difference between my old machine without and the new one with...The new one even has 2 more Gb of RAM, and I don't think or haven't noticed any big importance of installing it..But, if i do notice something, I will be sure to retract everything here....Thanks Billy Gee.....

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Not sure what you have with R2 ????

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/e.....1_download

May be this would be helpful.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Straspey

There are some updates for Windows 7 - one in particular - which is required BEFORE you can successfully install SP1

From the Microsoft Support Page:

"Step 3: Install Windows Update KB2454826

Install Windows Update KB2454826 from Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/) if it is not already installed. If you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center and do not install Windows Update KB245862, you could encounter a Stop error in Windows in rare cases.

Windows Update KB2454826 will automatically be installed when you install the service pack by using Windows Update. However, Windows Update KB2454826 is not automatically installed when you install the service pack from the Microsoft Download Center.

To check whether Windows Update KB2454826 is installed, click Start, type View installed updates in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter. Notice whether Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2454826) is listed. If the update is not listed, you will have to install it from Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/) ."

You can read more here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

I would recommend that you be sure you have all the required updates before attempting to install SP1 again.

Posted 6 years ago

ridgerunner114

Tried again yesterday twice both times windows update said update successfull. Problem is both times booted up to black screen once in my regular and once in administrator. Thinking about uninstalling Ati 5570 first then reinstalling after.When i updated Ati got msg. could not locate inf. driver but still appears to work ok. What do you think?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Appears there were some driver issues with this card before SP1.

http://superuser.com/questions.....blue-scree

The Video Card is very Good.

Just have to find the correct driver from ATI.

Posted 6 years ago

ridgerunner114

ra, i did not mention that i unistalled sp1 and have no problems with computer except when i install sp1. All video works great including youtube. The ATI control panel works great as i continued to install after being warned about the missing driver.I still want to install sp1 as i know in the future i will have to have it.
Thanks hope for your help.
Charles

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

ridgerunner114

Well success finally. Looks like my hard head got in the way, i finally restarted then went in and turned off AVG,ZONE ALARM AND SUPER ANTIVIRUS and then went to downloads check marked sp1 and worked like a charm. I apologise raphoenix for putting you through my laziness and i am embaressed.Hope you will help me in the future when i need help.

Thanks Charles

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Charles,

NO apology needed. :) :)

Is my fault for not posting that folks should Disable all Real Time AVs and Reboot before attempting SP-1 installation.

Will be glad to help you any time. :) :)

Just glad hear that you got everything worked out.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

GraveDigger27

Had the devil of a time installing SP1 on my Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit box when it first came out - it had an issue with my installed iTunes program (wouldn't allow me to sync my iPod touch with the updated OS). I tried several times and had to fall back on a disk image (pre-SP1) of my system to regain the ability to sync my apps and downloads. About six weeks later I did a clean install of the OS, updated the program with ALL of the fixes to date and then installed SP1. Then I installed all of my applications and other programs (including the iTunes library that I had backed up to DVDs). Everything worked fine from that point onward.

I recently built a new system, installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and followed the same process (including installing my applications and other programs AFTER I had installed SP1). No problem so far (it's been over a month now) and it looks like either Microsoft or Apple resolved whatever issue existed between the programs.

My recommendation is to WAIT to install a Service Pack if you can (let someone else play trail-blazer if they want) or if you choose to go ahead with the installation, make sure you have a current, updated backup or disk image (I use the free version of Macrium Reflect) of your ENTIRE system BEFORE you install the Service Pack.

Posted 6 years ago

tiny122

Tried to upgrade to SP1 Machine crashed half way through now when you start it up it gets half way through the registry update and hangs !!!

Marvellous, how to destroy a laptop in one easy step !!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

tiny122,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

BEST procedure to install Windows 7-64 SP1 on a Laptop:

1. Clean Restore Machine Back to Factory Condition.

2. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2534366-x64.msu

3. Install windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe SP1

BEST procedure to install Windows 7-32 SP1 on a Laptop:

1. Clean Restore Machine Back to Factory Condition.

2. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2533552-x86.msu

3. Install Update Windows6.1-KB2454826-v2-x86.msu

4. Install windows6.1-KB976932-X32.exe SP1

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

greebal

I installed SP1 following the instructions from here.

http://www.brucebnews.com/2011.....ce-pack-1/

No probs installing and no probs so far.

Gary

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Just as I posted method right above your posting. :) ;)

Posted 6 years ago

greebal

My apologies Rick, I have no excuse.

Gary

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Gary,

NO apology required.

Your posting with the article backs up what I posted :) :)

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

kamcs

Well, I updated to SP1. It was optional as mentioned many times, but my computer was acting weird so I just did it. Ill be honest, this has really made me mad lol. Not only did it SLOW my computer down, but now a lot of my programs I installed are not working. So now, I have been running around trying to figure out what my old SP was (anyone know how I can find this out?). As soon as I find out, I am definitely going back to whatever SP I had.

By the way: Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 Home Premium (just in case someone can help me revert back to the OLD SP!)

Kristi Ambrose

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

If you updated to SP1, then you didn't have an SP before. Your best bet is a clean re-install with a Windows 7 Home Premium disk.

Posted 5 years ago

rothenbj

This thread seems to have died off, but my experience in May 2012 was the same as many in the past. I should have come here and forgotten about the attempt. I tried the install my Gateway badged Acer netbook (EC19C07u) was not shutting down and I read somewhere that SP1 would fix that. They were right. After the update crashed and set me back to re-installing to original Win 7 OS (only option I found that would get me back up and running).

I don't understand that I run auto updates and that doesn't even try to offer SP1 as an update. My notebook has SP1 installed and it was done automatically and seamlessly. The good thing, other than the 48 hours wasted is that the system now actually shuts down normally and runs better than new. I have no intention of trying the update again unless I find that it's really needed and I read that it's totally reliable as an update. I'll also insure that I have a restore-able image just in case. That was no fun.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.