The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - WiFi Media disconnected

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Tombaugh
  • Latest reply from Tombaugh
  • Topic Viewed 2917 times

Tombaugh

When I run ipconfig I get the notification that my wireless LAN is disconnected, though physically it isn’t.

I have tried the forums here and elsewhere to figure out how to fix this problem. I can list what I have done. I can show what I see in ipconfig, Netstat, arp -a or whatever any of you might need to help get a handle on what the issue is. I know that I was doing my network security homework and we had to do an arp -a, arp -d, arp -s exercise and once I FINALLY completed it the house no longer had wifi. I assumed I had deleted the ip address for the router. I guess that's not it.

I have:
• reset the modem/router/computer
• computer management>Services and Applications>Services>Routing and Remote Access both disabled and restarted
• released and renewed ip
• updated firmware was a no need
• device manager says the network adapter DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card is in good working order all drivers are up to date
• the router works wired to two computers but no wifi

Being a noob when it comes to networking it was inevitable that I would screw something up and I have a VM for most of my homework, but this particular assignment needed me to elevate the command prompt and my VM refused to do that. (I don't have a tools choice in my VM)

Posted 6 years ago

Fhirkin9

This is a wild guess, but if you are talking about a laptop I had a similar situation arise. Took me forever to figure out that one of the Function keys, when hit accidentally, turns off WiFi, and her laptop's Device manager also showed that everything was OK. Look for the little "radio tower icon" (or something similar) on one of the function keys and press it once and try to load a web page.... good luck

Posted 6 years ago

Tombaugh

:( it's not a laptop but thanks for the try! I'll mess with my function keys just in case ;)

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

Check the antennae of the wifi and the router (if it exist) if it is properly connected. Check also for interferences (wireless phones, microwave devices, etc) between the router and your pc. If possible, try another wifi router.

Posted 6 years ago

warlock

Also check how far you are away you are from the wifi signal. Any obstacles in the way, ie. walls, on a different floor.

Posted 6 years ago

Tombaugh

my wireless devices are 3-12 feet from it and clear shot no walls. Nearest microwave/cordless phone is 12 feet away. I am using a desktop computer to do all cmd prompt checking. The device is a Netgear WNDR3700 and I have a LAN wired connection through that I am using now. It's just the wifi that doesn't work and is reported as disconnected. Three days ago I had to hard connection working through it and 4-8 wireless devices working through it. I just don't understand what could have done this, hardware, software. It's not like the device is moved around a lot or at all for that matter. I just thought maybe there was a command I was missing that could get the router to connect again since my compute shows that the router is working fine my computer sees the stinking thing, it just won't help fix the connection for the other devices.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Is the wifi enabled in the router itself ?

Posted 6 years ago

Tombaugh

Yes it is

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

Have you run any diagnostics on the wifi connection? If so, what is the message? Maybe you can try to reset the router to factory settings and if this fails, try another wifi router and if this solve your issue, maybe the router wifi capability has gone bad.

Posted 6 years ago

Tombaugh

FINALLY! I was told it might be I messed up the MAC address and with the arp homework I was doing that was entirely possible. THEN while I was checking on that I noticed at the netgear router login site under the ADVANCED settings for WIRELESS SETTINGS that two check boxes for "Enable Wireless Router Radio" were not checked. I checked the boxes and the wireless was back in business. Thank heavens!

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Tombaugh

Side note - ipconfig/all still shows Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: Media State.....: Media disconnected
WEIRD!
I do have wifi though

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.