The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Why am I losing internet connection intermittently?

(17 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Designing7
  • Latest reply from Designing7
  • Topic Viewed 7233 times

Anonymous

I have a Netgear router that was provided by my isp (TIME WARNER). The "Up Stream" light blinks and goes out at times
and then, the "cable" light on the router goes out at well for a few minutes and then, I lose connectivity. This happens very often sometimes (maybe every 15 on average) or it may not happen for a whole day.

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Try re-booting the router. It might help.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

cmghoughton

My verizon wireless router did the same thing to me with just the wireless signal, the default channel was set to 6 along with all my neighbors. After I changed to something else it has been steady. If it's not that then I would have them replace the router, the re-booting didn't fix it.

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

I've been able to stay on steadily with my PC but can't connect with my laptop from that same router. ??????????????????

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

also make sure the router is about 3/4 meters away from your tv. this could have an effect on your signal.

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

It is about 6-7 feet from the TV. The problem is that I can connect my laptop through the same router. I see the signal but does not give me the option to type in the key to connect.

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

Nevermind guys. I just just went ahead and reset my router settings and changed the security settings to make sure that I don't get any people leaching on to my connection. Thanks for your help and the advice!

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

Okkkk... So I admit I was wrong and this connection problem is still killing me...

How do you reset your internet connection settings?
I was "tweaking" my internet connection speed with Auslogics BoostSpeed 5. Now, I lose connection very often and the "up stream" and "cable" lights on my router go out at times.

Even though all the lights on my modem may stay on, I still can't connect to any websites.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

first off remove AB5, then reset you router,post back.ps ally do you use iexplorer8

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

Hi Mark! I'm a bit embarrassed but I don't know what you mean by "AB5". I Don't ever use IE at all and lastly: I'm glad that you're around :)

Ally

Posted 7 years ago

Hosenfeffer99

My take on this is as follows: The ISP has a certain amount of bandwidth. When there are a lot of users everybody's data rate starts to decrease including yours. In other words, somewhere on the Internet there is a bottleneck and its most likely the ISPs server.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

ally :) AG5= Auslogics BoostSpeed 5,sorry :( you would be better off not using any tweaks at the min, have you tried resetting Firefox with no add-ons .

mark

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

If you want to tweak you TCP/IP settings, there are very few I'd recommend. One is this THIS SITE, first test to see what can be tweaked or needs to be, and then get DrTCP from the same site (link on left). The only other one I'd suggest would be TCPOpt from SPEEDGUIDE.NET.

One thing though, it you have lights going out on your router, it is the cause. It is dropping the connection. If RESET didn't fix it, go to NETGEAR.COM, locate the downloads for your router, and FLASH the BIOS to the latest level code. If this doesn't stop it, call you ISP and see if they think you have a LINE problem (cables in the ground do deteriorate). If not, your router could be damaged.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

Hi Irv!
The link that you gave me sounds VERY interesting but it not working.... :(

That would be the one that says "THIS SITE". I don't see the whole webpage :http://bit.ly/dGmU8P
Do you mind posting it again so I can look into it please?!

Ally

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Hmm, I must have pasted it in wrong? Here, this is the link itself, http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the test. Then get DrTCP from the lest to make changes if needed.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

jmeeks49

Excuse me Ally but is the laptop and desktop networked?? if so, can you see both of them? the reason that i ask is if you are picking up your network (assumming that you have one setup) if the network is visible and no connection to the internet that tells me that either the line is bad or the DHCP protocol is not maintaining the through connection to the ISP. the router could be very well faulty. i would call TW and ask them..

john

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Anonymous

Thank you "J". Why go around the bush instead of going straight to TW. Thanks everyone!!

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.