The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - W7 Starter netbook won't boot to OS

(24 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by grmpsx2
  • Latest reply from grmpsx2
  • Topic Viewed 2362 times

grmpsx2

I have an HP Mini Compaq 110-1125NR with W7 Starter. When turning on the netbook from shut down I only get an HP screen that says, press f9 for boot device order or press f10 for BIOS setup options. I have to shut off the netbook and press f9 at boot up and select the OS drive and press enter to get to the log on page screen.Then I'm in and every thing is OK. I don't get any error messages at all, non for boot manager etc etc nothing. I've booted into f8 for System Recovery Options screen, used command prompt option for bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot /fixboot, /fixmbr and rebooting after each and it still gives me the same HP screen. I've gone into the bios and checked the boot order and did a save and exit. Short of a complete restore, what do I have to do to get the OS to boot up normally from shut down.

Posted 7 years ago

Noxz

That's pretty odd. I'm just guessing here as to a solution but try to restore the BIOS options back to defaults, reboot, and see what happens. If you don't have any luck with that, try to restore to default settings and then pick the default boot device. Lastly I'd go to the HP website and see if there is a BIOS upgrade available.

Posted 7 years ago

Noxz

email?

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

grmpsx2, please don't even try to do that.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

There is really nothing wrong with your system. It is the BIOS that does not find your drive on which the OS resides. Suggest you go into the BIOS (the permanent settings part) and set the OS drive as #1 in the boot order.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

I'm sorry, never fails, I got side tracked. Any way I tried reset bios to default, no luck.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

That's the 1st thing I checked . It is set 1st and usb is 2nd, there is no optic drive

Posted 7 years ago

whs

What is your first boot device in the BIOS ?

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

OS DRIVE

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

It's an Hp Mini Netbook. There's 2 options. The OS Drive and USB

Posted 7 years ago

Noxz

Are you starting the computer up with a USB key, or external hard drive plugged in? Try unplugging if you are. I'd go look for a BIOS update as I mentioned earlier. If the OS Drive is selected as the primary boot device and you are able to boot from it when you manually select it there isn't anything wrong with the drive itself.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

I'm trying a startup repair and giving up for the day. Getting to old for this lol Thanks for suggestions

Posted 7 years ago

whs

I don't think the OS is at fault. It sounds more like a BIOS problem. Maybe you want to update the BIOS.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

I checked the HP.com site for this netbook and there are no updates for the bios. To answer your earlier question there are no devices of any kind connected to it.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

The windows startup repair didn't fix it.I'm trying to get back into the BIOS settings. For some reason it's hard to catch it and to pull up the BIOS screen.I think your right, it's in the BIOS or boot manager. It does have a recovery partition.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Start tapping as soon as you boot up.

Posted 7 years ago

Noxz

Windows startup repair wouldn't fix something like this unfortunately. If I recall you have two boot options in the BIOS, OS Drive and USB. You have configured the first boot device as OS Drive and that isn't working. Maybe try to set it to USB, I know it sounds silly but it can't hurt to try.

I've found a BIOS update, I'm not sure if its the one you have installed or not.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-80313-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=4041526&sw_lang=

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

Thanks Noxz, that is the current and correct Bios update in the netbook. I solved the problem this morning. I was performing a Hard Reset and removed a Micro SD Memory card adapter from the memory card slot and found out that it will not boot from shut down to the OS if that's in the memory slot. I'm sure it's because there's no micro card in the adapter because I think if it had the Micro card in it it would have given me an option to boot from that. I don't have any micro cards or I'd try it out. Dah! I new it was in there all along but never thought about the micro card not being in it. Like I always said in 35yrs in HVAC "Schools open every day". Now I can give this back to my friends son. Thanks to everyone, I hope this simple fix will help somebody down the line.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

whs

Hmm - technology means trouble. Who would have thunk.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

You got that right. But I'm 64 & retired and it beats staring at the TV. By the way Starter Background Changer does work on this netbook. http://starter-background-changer.en.softonic.com/

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Nice talking to a youngster (I am 10 years older). You must have still good eyes. I could not decypher anything on such a small screen - and glasses unfortunately do not help.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

I have a 26" 1080p HDTV connected to the HDMI out from a video card. I can see it fine, and I've had eye surgery twice on both eyes. Sounds like you need to do the same. I did all my graphics upgrades because of editing HD camera video and watching TV in my home office. I can zoom in (Ctrl & +) on very small text and in most cases read it.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

I am glad that you could be helped with surgery. Unfortunately nothing helps in my case - Macula degeneration.

Posted 7 years ago

grmpsx2

Sorry to hear that. I have other health issues but thank goodness my vision has been corrected.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.