How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

VPN Error 809

(3 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Ninja4IT
  • Latest reply from rockallite
  • Topic Viewed 18045 times

Ninja4IT

Hi,

I have trouble with my VPN connection. I have laptop with Windows 7 Prof. 32bit + Wireless connection.
Before Windows 7, I have on my Laptop Windows XP and VPN connection worked perfectly. VPN type is L2TP/IPSec and I have valid certificate.
Every time, when I want connect VPN connection in my remote location, respond with error 809 and this mean:

''The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network devices (e.g., firewalls, NAT, routers, etc.) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem. ''

OK, before we start with troubleshooting, you must to know, I tried almost everything.

- IPv6 is turned off, but VPN still don't works
- RegEdit (Microsoft web page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926179)
- Firewall is turned off
- Started Services : IPSec Policy Agent, Routing and Remote Access

I have VMware Player with Windows XP on my local machine,and VPN connection on WMVare Player work perfectly, but on local machine, VPN connection respond error 809.

Maybe someone has any idea what else can try?

Posted 8 years ago

rockallite

Try this. I fixed a similar problem through it.

1. Run "regedit", allocate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters, and delete ProhibitIpSec key.
2. Restart Windows, and try to connect VPN again.

Posted 7 years ago

rockallite

BTW, I used a preshared key instead of a certificate in L2TP connection. After applying the above tweak, I turned off "IPSec Policy Agent" & "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" services, and L2TP connection still worked without error 809.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.