The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Video Card causes comp to freeze/crash

(12 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by ccoville
  • Latest reply from ccoville
  • Topic Viewed 6157 times

ccoville

A few days ago my computer started freezing up whenever I fired up a video game (Battlefield Heroes, Fallout 3) and sometimes even when I let it idle. Eventually I saw that it was flashing an error message saying "display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I believe the error code was nvlddmkm.

Searching for this led me to a number of people having the same problem but apparently nothing was confirmed as far as cause or remedy. The main culprit appeared to be video card drivers. So, I went through a series of uninstalling and installing the drivers for my nvidia geforce 8800 gt but it didn't work. The problems began to get worse (error 0x00000007 F) as I had to repeatedly shut the system down manually again and again and finally I just removed the entire graphics card completely and switched over to the integrated graphics card.

My comp has now functioned for 2 days without freezing so it appears that the problem did lie with either the card or the drivers. The forums that I found online usually had someone saying "hopefully nvidia releases new drivers soon". Could they really be having a product which causes comps to crash?

I'd hate to give up on a graphics card which is only a couple yeras old and have to shell out money on a new one so hopefully there is a remedy to this issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Hi. Have you tried using it again since ? Sometimes re-seating it will cure the problem.
Or it may be overheating.

Posted 8 years ago

ccoville

I haven't reinstalled it yet as I've needed to just get business taken care of without fear of a crash. A friend suggested that I install an older driver too so that could be the next step.

I kind of doubt that overheating is the issue as the place I just moved to is rather cool where I keep the comp and if heat was a problem it most likely would have happened before... although I should probably find a way to test the temp. Are there programs that do that?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

We are talking a very localized heat problem. Build up of dust in the heatsink, bad thermal contact, fan not working properly. GPU's can overheat very very quickly.
Try this,
http://www.gtopala.com/
Look at the Sensor readings.

Posted 8 years ago

Custum

Hi ccovilla

Try to install the graphics card on a different pc with a fresh driver installation.
Maybe all the install and uninstall of different drivers screwed up the software.

Posted 8 years ago

magicnicho

Hi,

I got the same issue couple of weeks before, on my friend's computer. It was ATI Radeon graphic card and if I updated till the latest catalyst, the computer crashes but with the recommended catalyst on manufacture's website, the computer pops up saying 'the graphic card drive stopped responding but have been recovered'. I tried all the solutions I can come up with, including, reinstall OS and reinstall the C++ redistribution package etc, but I ended up changing a new graphic card.

Then the issue was solved. Hopefully this can help you, more or less.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

The problem may be that because NVidea have released a load of awful drivers. Getting one that works well, and sticking with it, could solve the problem.

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

I see the http://www.nvidia.com/object/p.....gt_us.html card does have a fan. Looking at the specs etc, was surprised not to find a sensor in it.
I would follow LH here and look at case cooling/airflow. I understand what you say regarding a 'cooler' flat. But the case is STILL in it's own environment. Therefore, I would install an extra fan to enable exta case cooling.
You would have to drill the case for this. Are you up for it?

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

ccoville

Thanks for getting back to me people. I'm at work all day but as soon as I get home I will try out a few of these. Yes the card does have a fan on it and there are two more in my PC so I would hope that overheating is not a problem. Maybe a good cleaning and reinstall will do the trick. Of course if anyone else has an idea other than airflow and drivers please let me know.

Thanks again.

Posted 8 years ago

ccoville

Well I tried cleaning everything out and putting the card back in. It immediately freezed during boot up. I don't think it's an overheating issue as there wasn't nearly enough time for things to get hot.

I'm not sure if I am testing out the drivers correctly so that could still be a possibility. I thought I had uninstalled all the 8800 GT drivers but maybe i am not doing it correctly. I guess that is what I will try to fool around with next.

Posted 8 years ago

ccoville

Alright. After screwing around with drivers all night I think it's safe to say that the card is shot. I completely removed all drivers and downloaded the drivers released back in April. When I put the card back in the same dots were appearing all over the boot up screen and it still took me a couple manual restarts to get fully booted up. When I had to restart again after loading the driver it locked up again at the boot up. At that point I took the card out again and it was hot to the touch even though it really shouldn't have been used for anything, which I figure is a pretty bad sign.

I wish I had a way to test the card but my other comp doesn't have a PCI-E slot. I'd like to see if maybe the Geek Squad or something could take a look at it but I'll probably have to pay which would then cut in to funds to buy a new card.

Unless anyone else has ideas I think my card is fried which is hard to believe since, at the time, I was playing the relatively low-key Battlefield Heroes. Do any of you have good news for me?

Posted 8 years ago

ccoville

Anyone?

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.