The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Userinit Logon Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Riaan
  • Latest reply from Riaan
  • Topic Viewed 12827 times

Riaan

I discovered numerous virus infections on my LG WINDOWS XP HOME SP3 laptop and removed them using AVG. Now when I turn the laptop on I get a LOG ON TO WINDOWS pop-up that I never got before. After I enter my password the screensaver loads and another popup window tells me: DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION and USERINIT LOGON APPLICATION - To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program. I then click on the CLOSE MESSAGE button and another pop-up window says: USERINIT LOGON APPLICATION has encountered a problem and needs to close. After I click on the close button, nothing happens and only my screensaver remains. I then Alt Ctrl Del to call up Task Manager and manualy run userinit.exe which brings up my taskbar and icons. Another pop-up called MOBILECONNECT.EXE - APPLICATION ERROR appears and says: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). I then click OK to terminate the application. After all that I can use the computer. Also, I don't have access to my HELPFILES, Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. How on earth do I solve these problems? Anybody with a step by step procedure that can help? I'll kiss your virtual feet! Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

ronniesonora

you might try this. Open command prompt (as administer) and type in sfc /scannow then hit enter.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Riaan, hi, Do this, Restart (boot), as the system boots tap your F8 key. You should now get the options for safe mode. Select safe mode and in accessories, run cmd, system tools, system restore. select a very past prior point and restore to that point, follow the process
Report back

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

I tried sfc /scannow. Just a brief glimse of a scan box and nothing else. I tried running userinit.exe from Task Manager after that, but now that doesn't work either! Had a look at my restore points earlier today and discovered to my horror that they had all vanished into thin air. What now guys?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Riaan,

Do you have a FULL XP installation CD ??

If so, you will need to do a Clean Install.

OR

Do a Factory Restore per your laptop manual instructions.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

sfc /scannow says: Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Hi Rick! Unfortunately I have no disk or manual. The laptop was a gift from my sister.

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Are there any downloadable programmes available that could completely fix Windows problems?

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Could I perhaps be right in assuming that the Windows logon and user programmes may have been badly damaged by viruses? If so, would it be possible to download and install the damaged ones? How would I know which one's and where can I download them? Or, would it be possible to repair them somehow? Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Riaan,

Unfortunately No.

The Viruses and AVG have ruined your current installation of XP.

Not sure if this would work but if you had friend with the SAME XP Edition, might could do a Clean Install and
use your product ID number (PID) from the back of your Laptop.

You need to find someone locally that can help you as it is almost impossible to fix
the machine now with just advice.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Sorry, my last post should read: Would it be possible to download them and install the NEW one's, not the DAMAGED one's. Must be getting tired - time for bed! Goodnight and thanks for the help so far Geeks - but don't give up! I need you!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Riaan,

Sleep well my friend, sleep well.

We will be here tomorrow when you awake. :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Thanks Rick! I do have an XP PRO SP2 disk but not a HOME EDITION. Might as well re-format the hard drive and install PRO, what do you think?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Riaan,

Yes that would be a solution.

You need to Reformat the drive upon installation and Use the MS PID number on the Pro installation CD.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Riaan

Goodnight all! Zzzzz

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.