The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

usb/mouse stopped working

(39 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Codie-lyn
  • Latest reply from kairoga
  • Topic Viewed 84844 times

Codie-lyn

I am running Windows Vista on my HP laptop computer. I have been using a Logitech cordless mouse that i just plug a little mini receiver into the USB (?port) on the side of my laptop. All has been well for the last four months since i bought it, but just the other day - it completely stopped working on me. Now yes, the batteries are brand new and working just fine..the power is on..etc etc.

I actually think it has something to do more with the usb port itself...or maybe the touchpad? Reason being.. is I plugged in my corded mouse which is working fne on my desktop computer, and neither one will work on my laptop.

Is there some way I could have.. ?turned off the usb thing? or.. im not too sure

Any suggestions?

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Does the touchpad work?
Can you plug another type of device (ie ext. drive) into that usb port (to check if it is a mouse or port problem)

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

Yes the touchpad works..
My ext. hard drive crapped out on me recently too...
and the oly other thing I have right now to go into a usb is my ipod.. which i seem to be having problems with as well.. but i'm not sure if in this case it's just because i don't know how to use it. When i plug the ipod in, it seems to be charging, but my computer does not pic it up, either as a storage deice nor in itunes. ???

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Have a look in Control Panel > Device Manager. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and then right click on each one in turn, selecting "Properties" each time. Anything unusual there?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

nope, not that i can see

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Does the mouse work in another port?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

no

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

With the mouse plugged in, goto Device Manager. Right click on "Mice and other Pointing Devices" and select "Scan for hardware changes"

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

nope
i still just have the touchpad showing under mouse and pointing devices

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Did it stop working just after you installed Vista Updates?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

no, it was weird, i was using it... went outside for a min. came back and it didn't work anymore..?

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Perhaps it missed you, and is now sulking?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

lol. well that's about the best i can come up with too.
make sense anyways.. lol

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

I can offer no more at the moment, sorry. But I will keep looking/thinking. Maybe someone else will come up with something!

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

I SURE HOPE SO.
This touchpad is killing me!!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

There is a little button on the USB dongle (receiver) and also on the bottom of the mouse. Press both those buttons at the same time for about 20 seconds. That will sync the mouse with the dongle and it should work then.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

@whs. But not on the wired mouse, which also doesn't work!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, ya, you're right. Missed that part. Maybe there is a problem with the power setting of the hub. Have to do some research to find that part - don't remember right now. We discussed that when I wanted to cut the power on the USB ports. But I forgot the details. Have to proceed to lunch now. If you have a minute, have a look.
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/cut-power-on-an-external-disk?replies=34

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

@whs, bon appetite, and I don't think it's that simple

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

no suggestions whs???!?
it's not that simple
first of all..there is no button on the usb reciever for my mouse, it looks just like a little flash drive type of thing, no buttons though, there is one on my mouse, yes, but i've only tried that a billion times. I think it has to be something with my usb ports, because i have now tried the mouse on my desktop computer, and it worked just fine, but neither the cordless nor corded mouse will work on my laptop. To make matters worse, i was foolisly trying to fix this problem and did a system restore back to a few days ago, now my touchpad settings are kapput and I can't seem to get back to change them, it always says (not respondng) and then i get a message about some windows shell dll can not be accessed or something like that.. I am at a loss without my mouse.. someone.. anyone.. you have to know something?!?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

also.. I have now connectd my laptop to (??..the stand?) i have it on, which also acts as a hub and has additional usb ports. My mouse still does not work connected that way.. so i'm thinking...drivers?? But where do i find usb drivers!!

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

ok folks... i think i have a serious problem here
nothing seems to be working
my ipod, no matter which port it is plugged into, is not being picked up to sync in itunes.. but it will charge though
so what does that mean??
Anyone have ANY suggestions.. I am desperate and willing to try just about anything... please!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Codie -lyn, don't panic! A cool head is the first step to repair. Now if I understand you right, you have neither a mouse nor a working touchpad, right? There is very little we can do with your laptop other than admire it for now. But seriously. There are 2 options:
1. System Repair
2. Reinstallation of Vista
I suggest we first try a system repair because with a reinstall you would loose all your files.
Do the following: get your Installation disk or your recovery disk and insert it. Follow the Wizard to where the Language setting is. After that you get a screen where you have the REPAIR option. I think you have to push F5 (but I am not 100% sure - you'll see). Follow from there.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Hi again Codie-lyn. If Vista does not even recognize that you are plugging a device in, then the drivers are not the problem (especially for a mouse).
Go with whs for a system repair for the moment

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Codie-lyn, just some additions to your questions above
1. The USB drivers you can update in the Device Manager. Type DEV into the Start search field > go to Device Manager > Go to USB controller and double click > right click on the USB port
2. If your Ipod charges, that means you have electricity. So we can rule possible problems in this area out.
3 Your "Stand" connects to the same USB hub. That's why you have no connection there either.
I hope things will get better after the system repair. If not, we'll have to think of something else.

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

am i going to loose all my files if i do a system repair though?? I've being wanting to do it for months now, ever since my Windows Media Center just up and vansihed on me, but I thought I would loose everything..
oh and p.s. whs - my touchpad does work, but i had mucked wiht all the settings on it when i had a working mouse and didn't need it, and now for some reason i can't get back to the settings for it with out windows explorer freezing up. Does this make a difference at all? I guess the system would repair would just be best anyways, but I don't want to loose everything...?

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

Oh and one more thing, on my laptop, the entire D:\ drive is dedicated to Recovery, can I repair the system that way? By accessing that Recovery D drive?? I'm not sure where the discs i burnt are...
?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

With system repair your files should be ok. But it never hurts to back them up first (on an external disk, big USB or even a 2 or 4 GB SD card). With system restore that's different. In theory it should save them in Windows.old, but I would not bet on it. Last time I reinstalled Vista, they were not there.

Posted 9 years ago

rabuksak

if i may chime in here, i have pretty much the same problem...

for reference, a couple of pertinent specs:
windows vista ultimate (x86)
asus P5N-E SLI (BIOS v.0901 / feb. 20ish, 2008)

it started after two possible changes to my computer:
1) the last monthly windows update(s)
2) a new razer deathadder mouse i installed AFTER updating the firmware on a different computer (known issues with asus motherboards if not first updated)

when i first installed the mouse, everything worked just as it should. the mouse worked fine for a day or so until i think the MS updates were installed. the timing with this combination really sucks as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

anyway, i know the new mouse (and my old mouse, and another cheap usb mouse a friend lent me) works, so that's not the issue.

all of my USB-related drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. the only driver i haven't touched is my keyboard as it has somehow miraculously continued to work and is my only way to continue to interact with my computer.

curiously, when i go to repair my system from my windows disc, the mock OS (off the disc) loads whatever proper drivers (i'm guessing here) the mice need to track, and any of the three USB mice will work just fine. as soon as i get back to my regular windows install, however, the mice once again fail to track.

to me, this means a file or files are corrupt on my windows install. i have tried to delete the "infcache.1" file as i have read in a few places, but that didn't solve the problem either.

my conclusion is this ... how can i figure out which files (and/or driver inf/sys files) are corrupt on my windows install, and how do i go about replacing those files with the 'good' files from my windows recovery CD?

am i completely nuts here, or is my thinking based at least somewhat on reality?

sorry for the rant, but i wanted to be as specific as possible. this is quite the annoyance, and perhaps someone here can put two and two together ... once and for all.

thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

~ andy

Posted 9 years ago

rabuksak

one quite important thing i left out (sort of), none of the mice work with my current windows install.

however, all of the mice DID work while bumming around within the windows recovery disc if i booted to it.

i don't think i made that clear enough in my original post.

again, thank you guys very much for your help.

Posted 9 years ago

rabuksak

i realize i'm being obnoxious by asking/bumping, but does anyone have a better clue to this problem with my added post?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

rabuksak, It's never a good idea to post your problem in the middle of someone elses thread. That's why you get no answers. Why don't you start your own thread and paste your problem into there.

Posted 9 years ago

rabuksak

i posted here because i believe codie-lyn has the same problem i have. i didn't want to make a double-thread about the same problem. that was my thinking, at least.

s/he (codie-lyn) stated the mouse works fine on another computer. the problem has something to do with a USB/mouse combo and/or drivers/files for the USB ports (not the mouse itself, as i have also realized in my own situation).

we also both ran into the same problem at around the same time. i was quite surprised when using the search function here in the forums to find something so close to my problem as well as posted just recently.

do you or anyone see any better connection here? codie-lyn, did you get your situation fixed up? if so, how?

i certainly didn't intend to hijack this thread, but instead to add to the possible vantage points for what i think is the same problem.

if this doesn't seem like the same problem to others, i'll certainly start my own thread. thanks for the input whs.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

No need to apologize. I just wanted to make a practical suggestion born from past experience.

Posted 9 years ago

Codie-lyn

Hey guys... nope.. still have the same problem. It's driving me crazy..I want to back up all my files before i were to do a system repair or re installation... but being that i can not plug in a USB device.. it's a bit harder. I made an attempt to burn all my files onto dvd discs... but every time i get a dvd in my laptop.. My computer starts freezing and acting really slow and stalling and stuff...Im not sure why it does this..but all I know is that I DO NOT have the patience for that kindof thing and will probably do more damage to it if it's not co-operating. Good news is... I'm starting to master my stupid touchpad! Bad News is - After about thirty minutes or so of computer usage.. my Synaptic Touchpad Enhancements stop working..and then it becomes a real hassle again. So right now.. untill I find a way to rest assured i wont be loosing all my files... I'm stuck without a mouse.. without an external harddrive (which is needed).. without my ipod.. without my pictures from my digital camera.. without my webcam.. and who knows what else I am missing out on..

No one has any more ideas eh??

Posted 9 years ago

sparky7415

I never saw anyone mention a virus,it's possible,especially you trying other things and the puter going crazy. If it's still under warranty,have the shop fix it.

Posted 9 years ago

missy210

Ok, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why my mouse stopped working like some of the other posters on here. It was starting to get a bit frustrating using the keyboard to tab through everything to find out why my mouse stopped working, but! I found this reply

"There is a little button on the USB dongle (receiver) and also on the bottom of the mouse. Press both those buttons at the same time for about 20 seconds. That will sync the mouse with the dongle and it should work then. "

and what do you know, it works now! I just wanted to say thanks! and maybe give this a "bump" incase others have the same issue=)

Posted 7 years ago

anibirdie

I'm having the exact problem! I have a dell laptop with touchmouse.
I got a usb mouse cause I am not good at touchpad. lalala after a few months, BANG! stop working
What it does is make the connected sound when plugged in, move it 2 milimetres and it makes the disconnected sound it's bs! it also doesn't pick it up when it's disconnected but still gives power i REALLY need this fixed to play my game Garry's Mod (fullscreen) Do you think it's the usb mouse's usb connector?
caz from what i read it sounds like you need to:
Re-install vista.
re-install mouse driver. and it should work. or you could do what i did and ring up ur supplier (HP) and ask for help
in the end you will get it!.

Posted 7 years ago

kairoga

hey just had the same problem today with vista and usb ports, and camera. lol. anyways just called tech support (ASUS) and they had me do a hard reset. it worked! now my mouse is working and same with my webcam. to do a hard reset (for a laptop that is) you unplug your ac adapter from your laptop, remove the battery, then simply press the power button for about 14 seconds to amke sure there is no power left in your computer. then you plug in your ac adapter and see if your stuff works. if it does great! plug back in your battery. if it doesnt, then do one of the tips above, or call your tech support.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.