The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - USB Ports Will Not Work

(13 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by alamiss
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1945 times

alamiss

I have an HP Pavilion P6150t desktop PC. The front side USB ports stopped working a few weeks ago. I have 8 ports showing (working properly) in Universal Serial Buss Devices ( I added an additional 3.0 card during the last year). I do a lot of photography, and have always used the front USB ports to download photo files from the camera. The front side card readers are all O.K. All the back USB ports are fine.

How do I go about checking these two front USB ports, and resolving this issue? I did replace a bad optical DVD drive in this area recently. It's working O.K., but is in close proximity to the USB ports. Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted 6 years ago

vistual

did you check in device manager to see if there are any little yellow exclamation marks next to any of the devices.

if so, right click on the item(s) > select uninstall and reboot.
afterwards launch device manager again to check the status.

if they're all cleared up check to see if the ports are working.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Very often, the cable used for the front ports is a bit on the weedy side. So you could try some beefier ones.

Posted 6 years ago

alamiss

vistual: All eight USB ports show up as "working properly" under Universal Serial Buss Devices, but the USB JACKS ON THE FRONT do not work. All the others work properly.

lighthouse: Are you talking about an internal cable?

Thanks for the replies.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes. The cables from the MB/card, to the front sockets. You only need a very minor drop in voltage, and the ports won't work. Fitting heavier cable can carry more current, and problem may be solved. Didn't explain that very well but in a rush to go off.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

There is a NEW Microsoft Fix-It for USB just published but the Link is a Direct Download so can't post it here.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

alamiss

Thanks raphoenix, I'll look it up.

While I'm here, let me ask, is there any chance I loosened a plug- in recently while I was changing out the DVD drive. I haven't been back inside the box, but will look. I don't know if the front USB ports quit exactly when I installed the drive because I only use the front ports for transfering photos from my cameras.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Rick, MS Fixit site is not a direct download. It has the link tho.

alamiss, very possibly you dislodged something.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Direct Link Posted.

Edit: Direct link removed. -- GMod

Posted 6 years ago

alishathomaz

If a problem occurs on your computer after you install or update a driver, use Windows XP Device Driver Rollback to replace the driver with the previously installed version.

1 Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
2 Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.
3 Click System.
4 In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
5 Click Device Manager.
6 Right-click the device for which the new driver was installed and click Properties.
7 Click the Drivers tab.
8 Click Roll Back Driver.
If Device Driver Rollback does not resolve the problem, then use System Restore to return your computer to the operating state that existed before you installed the new driver.

Posted 6 years ago

alamiss

Thanks for all the info. Plan is to open the box and check to see if I dislodged cable to tending side USB ports when I was installing a new HP dvd 1270i drive. I'll probably replace this drive again while I'm in there. Drive is very noisy and proper drivers are not available.

Posted 6 years ago

alamiss

I should have gotten back sooner. Thanks for comments. I upgraded to 8GB of memory recently and while I had the case open checked for a cable to front USB ports being pulled loose. Sure enough, it was unplugged. Happened when I was installing a DVD drive earlier. This particular cable can be unplugged rather easy when you are unplugging and re-plugging the DVD drive cables.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

alamiss, thanks for reporting back.
These things do happen and it's nice to see an easy resolve to the problem.
When opening a case to replace bits and pieces, it is good practice to reseat all connections as a matter of course.
Sata cables can be a problem with a slight 'knock'.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.