The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - USB Keyboard and Mouse not recognized at windows logon

(18 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by TheBeard
  • Latest reply from TheBeard
  • Topic Viewed 11088 times

TheBeard

The story i have been given was that nobody touched this particular computer over the weekend, but on monday when the user came back, the usb mouse and keyboard aren't recognized in Windows. I have tried using different devices and using all usb ports, they DO work at BIOS, so i am able to get into the BIOS and access safe mode and everything else. but once windows boots up and gets to the logon screen, they freeze up and are useless. I ran recovery console with an install disk and ran chkdsk /r. It said it fixed 1 or more errors. rebooted but still they aren't working. PC is a small ACER desktop, no PS2 ports so i can't try that. i can't find an adapter either.PC is running Windows XP Pro SP3. oh, and i also tryed running ERD 2005 and use system restore but when i click system restore, it doesn't respond. if i click it again it tells me too many processes are running, please stop some. Yet nothing is. help?

Posted 7 years ago

Santo

What is the status of the USB drivers below Universal Serial Bus Controller in Device Manager?
Have you tried to install the chipset drivers and checked if it works?

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

i cant get to device manager. i cant log in to windows

Posted 7 years ago

akai289

I think the problem is usb driver but I don't figure the way to access windows without keyboard and mouse+_+

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

yea, i tried remote desktoping into it but for some reason am unable to. of course i forgot my linux flash drive at home today.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

If you can access Safe Mode, you are in Windows. Try a Restore Point from there.

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

i didn't mean that i could get INTO safe mode. i was explaining that i could spam f8 to get to safe mode when the machine was booting up. but as far as logging on when safe mode comes up, im still in the same boat. i wish i could use system restore somehow

Posted 7 years ago

LH

And all options for USB and keyboard are enabled in the BIOS ?

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

yep

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Are these a keyboard/mouse combo ? And wired or wireless ?

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

not a combo set, but both are Dell, and they are both wired

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Did you try any other options in the recovery console ?

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

im not exactly sure what to try to be honest.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

have you tried a 'system restore'' ? hang five until LH, returns he will suggest an option, although my suggestion is good if you haven't tried,

to what caused your problem i dont think it was over the weekend it was caused, on boot up when it was powered(a loading error ?)

mark.ps, dont want to insult any-body's intelligence that may have suggested it already :)

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

@mark, i booted into ERC commander and tried system restore from there but it would just hang on me. I was thinking that so some kids that were in the area the prior friday may have gotten into something. i actually just found a system restore from cmd line method im trying right now. if it works ill post it up and mark this closed. thanks

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

sounds like they where playing with it and heard someone coming , and turnd it off via power supply lol, buggers :) good luck

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

hehe, that is high up on the possibilities list

Posted 7 years ago

TheBeard

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Got it to work! :)

here is a link to the site that walked me through it: http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

copied over anyways for future reference for anyone who needs it
*******************************************************************************************************************
Perform the System Restore
--------------------------------------------------
Inside the Recovery Console type the following commands to change the directory to the system restore directory:

cd \
cd system~1

If you get an Access Denied error:click here
If you don't get an Access Denied error :

cd _resto~1

If there is no _resto~1 folder or if there are no restore points inside it:click here

If the _resto~1 folder exists, inside it there are several folders named RP1, RP2. These are restore points. RP1 is the oldest restore point. You can use

dir

to view what RP folders are available. If no restore points are available click here. Otherwise choose the most convenient RP folder. Supposing we have RP3 available let's type in:

cd rp3

Change the directory to snapshot:

cd snapshot

Restore the main registry branches. If you are being asked if you want to overwrite type in y to agree.

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

The following commands are most of the time optional however the process might not work if they are not executed

copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to reboot the system. Start the computer normally

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.