The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Unexpected shutdown in windows 7 home premium

(9 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by DIGGY416
  • Latest reply from DIGGY416
  • Topic Viewed 3742 times

DIGGY416

Im having the same problem with my Acer aspire 5251-1007 can anyone help us please? i put my laptop to sleep and or hibernate and i press the other keys to wake it up and nothing happens so i press the power button and it tells me that it was an unexpected shut down.... i dont know what to do can enyone help us troubleshoot the unexpected shut down in windows 7 home premium? please!!! :( i don't wanna lose my stuff.

if you need additional information to help me please let me know ill reply asap!

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi DIGGY416 ,

Welcome to HTG and thanks for that ,

The Sleep,Hibernate features offer a lot of problems like this the best thing I've found to do is to not use it, ah, but I want to, you might say, ok first make sure all your drivers are up to date.

Then open a Run box as administrator and type msconfig hit Enter.

Select the services tab and check Hide All Microsoft services, then uncheck all other services, select Apply then OK.

Then select start up tab and uncheck all items except your AV, then Restart your computer and see if the problem persists.

Posted 7 years ago

DIGGY416

Hi there the problem still occurs, i notice that every time i start up my computer i get that message saying it has recovered from a unexpected shut down and when i log in windows look for a "solution and will notify me if one is found" but it never does and i need help with this i don know what else to do i did the process you told me but i still have the same problem thanks for helping me out but is there a free program out there that might be aple to fix this issue? i think it might be a registry issue i don't know please help me. once again the problem is that every time i power on my computer it says it has an unexpected shut down and takes me to the black screen asking to boot in safe mode and such.

thanks i appreciate your help

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

If you press the power button to shut your computer off then it will come back with the unexpected shutdown error message most times.
You need to first run a chkdsk on your system to see what might be wrong. Follow the instructions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....for-errors
You also mentioned possible registry problem. Did you make any registry changes?

Posted 7 years ago

DIGGY416

I dont ever power down my laptop by pressing the power button.I power it down properly from the start menu and choose either shut-down, sleep or hibernate but when i do wither of them it tells me that it recovered from an unexpected shut down.... i dont know what else to do im running a system defrag right now after i tried the last step here that was posted on the Microsoft website in the link provided above but its just sitting there im not sure if its still proceeding with the defrag...this is what it looks like right now and im not even running anything other than the defrag other than chrome to give this update.Picture of my current screen from possible stalled defrag

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

bad screenshot link.
The link I posted was for you to run a system scan for errors not the defrag.
You can either stop the defrag and go back to the first option "Error Checking" and select check now, or you can wait until your hdd is finished being defragged.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

I would let it finish the defrag first.

Posted 7 years ago

DIGGY416

no no i know that but im saying that i did what you said Germ-x but after that i did a defrag as well. and its its done defragging now im gonna try and restart it to see if the problem still occurs and sorry about that link here it is http://tinypic.com/r/i73pm8/7 or try this one http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i73pm8&s=7

Posted 7 years ago

DIGGY416

I got the Problem fixed thank you guys very much for your help :)

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.