The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Tricky Boot Problem

(15 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by icelight
  • Latest reply from kenghosh
  • Topic Viewed 6114 times

icelight

This is a boot problem that seems to go beyond the easy fixes. iTunes 8 had just caused my computer (Vista SP1) to BSOD, and like an idiot, I hit the reset button as it was backing itself up. The computer reboots to the "BOOTMGR is missing, press Ctrl-Alt-Del" message. Thinking I can handle this, I get out my install CD, switch over to booting from the DVD drive, and go to the repair option.

This is where it gets weird. I click on "repair startup errors", and within less than a second, it reports no errors found. That can't be right, so I tell it to use system recovery to go back a day. I reboot after that, but without the CD it still gives me the same error message. I go back to booting from the DVD drive, and use the command prompt "bootrec /fixboot". It says succesful, but still won't boot without the Windows disk. The really strange part is that if I have the disk in, and tell the computer to boot from the disk drive first, but then don't press any key when I get the message "press any key to boot from CD or DVD" it very politely boots straight to my Windows, everything there, no problems except that I don't think I can connect all the way to the internet (I can connect to my router, the same one I'm using to write this, but not the second half of the way to the internet.)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Posted 11 years ago

Lighthouse

Hi icelight. What is the boot sequence in your BIOS?

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

1) CD/DVD
2)HD
3) I've tried both Removable and CD/DVD
4)Disabled.

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

Oh, and I've tried booting both with those settings and when going back to

1)Removable
2)HD
3)CD/DVD
4)Disabled

Posted 11 years ago

Lighthouse

Can you set 1) as HD?

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

Using
1) HD
2) CD/DVD or Disabled

with and w/o the Windows DVD, all combinations resulted in the "BOOTMGR missing" message. I did actually go and check, and under C:/Windows/Boot/PCAT I have a file called bootmgr, and others under C:/Windows/Boot/PCAT/en-us and C:/Windows/Boot/PXE/en-us called bootmgr.exe.mui. Maybe they aren't working?

Posted 11 years ago

Lighthouse

Hmm. You should have a "bootmgr" in C:\

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

All I have it BOOTSECT.BAK

Posted 11 years ago

Lighthouse

Control Panel > Folder Options > View
Enable "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Click OK
You should now see all the hidden files

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

Right-o. Now I do see a bootmgr file. So why can't Windows see it?

Posted 11 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i may be corrupted or something like that?

Posted 11 years ago

icelight

Any suggestions then? I'd rather not try deleting the entire bootmgr file right off the bat, since the last time I used system restore it didn't fix the problem, and now Windows can't see any of the older restore files.

Posted 11 years ago

JMcD999

Did this problem ever get solved? I just encountered something very much like it yesterday. This 'Bootmgr is missing -- press Ctl-Alt-Del' thing is really common. Microsoft has provided a number of resources to deal with it (the bootrec.exe tool and its attendant gadgets), but they don't work for everybody, and they haven't worked for me.
I'm at the point you were at at the time of your last post; I can see bootmgr, but Windows can't. That is [i]such[/i] a Microsoft kind of problem! And I don't know what to do about it.
What did you do? Reinstall?
Can anybody tell us why bootmgr is so fragile and why it's so difficult to fix?

Posted 10 years ago

germ-x

have you tried bcdedit.exe from th ecommand prompt of your installation dvd in the repair mode?

Posted 10 years ago

kenghosh

Well folks bootmgr is the boot manager wherein all the boot files are present required for an operating system to go to the dektop screen right after BIOS complete its work.

In this issue I would give you 3 possible commands which you need to try typing in safe mode with command prompt:

Here's the command:
1> bootrec /fixboot
2> bootrec /fixmbr
3> bootrec /rebuildbcd

After these command if still you get the error message then get a OS cd and reinstall.

Hope this helps!!!!
Regards
KEN

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.