The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Toshiba Satellite A135-S2326 BIOS Problem

(9 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by pscaseysaustinrrcom
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3184 times

pscaseysaustinrrcom

I would greatly appreciate it if one of you share your expertise on how to take care of my little mess up.

OS: Windows Vista basic. Intel Celeron CPU. 512 Mg RAM. My laptop developed that "power on password" error. I found a thread in How to Geek on how to fix this and I followed it to the letter. I shorted the "u" shaped Solder, under the "T" shaped solder, to ground on the motherboard. When I turned the laptop back on I can hear the computer noises but there is nothing but a black screen. I have repeated this exercise 3 times and still get nothing. I have down loaded the 1.6 version of the BIOS called for to replace it, but I do not know how to get it installed.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

pscaseysaustinrrcom,

Welcome to HTG.

This is what happen !! There is NO reason for a company to build a product like that !!
02-11-2009 BIOS Incorrect power-on password prompt -- with older BIOS versions
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi.....1073768663

Issue:
A "Password =" prompt may be displayed when the computer is turned on, even though no power-on password has been set. If this happens, there is no password that will satisfy the password request. The computer will be unusable until this problem is resolved.

If the problem has not happened yet, verify that your computer has the BIOS currently available from the Toshiba Support website. See detailed instructions below.

Your computer's BIOS may already include the fix for this problem, depending upon the model, and when it was manufactured.

This Support Bulletin is not a notice of a new BIOS for your computer; it's a notice that the password prompt problem has been fixed in relatively new BIOS releases.

The occurrence of this problem on any particular computer is unpredictable -- it may never happen, but it could happen any time that the computer is turned on. If this problem does occur, it will be necessary to send the computer to a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider.
==========================================

Now flashing a Bios in the Blind may be a very difficult task to do.

Let me research the issue.

I don't state this often but I wouldn't have a Toshiba if someone gave me one. :( :(

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

pscaseysaustinrrcom

raphoenix,
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. I am still researching how to flash the BIOS in the blind. I seriously appreciate your extra set of eyes.
Regards,
pacaseysaustinrrcom

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

pscaseysaustinrrcom,

I did research your issue trying to find a possible key combination that would start a flash
from a device at boot time.

Some of the new models specify pressing FN + 5 or FN5 to start a flash from a USB Drive.

However, here again we are dealing with some kind of secret key combination that I couldn't find information for your model machine.

Let me read the site documentation again as I could very easily have missed something.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

The BIOS update you downloaded, would have come as an .exe file. Just double click on it, and it will install. Do not touch the the machine while it is doing its stuff.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

How does OP do that with a Black Screen (NO Video) ????

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Oh yes. Plug in an external monitor.

Posted 8 years ago

pscaseysaustinrrcom

Tried the extra monitor already, it was as black as the laptop monitor.

I did, however, manage to solve the problem through a little trial and error. I once again removed the memory cards and the mylar cover exposing the "T" in the "U" solder. The instructions said use a paperclip cleaned of all it's varnish. So I thought maybe I missed enough of the varnish after cleaning it with acetone to still render the paper clip dielectric. So I decided to substitute one of my multimeter leads for the paperclip. Held it in place for 30 seconds on the "U" shaped solder and the specified grounding post adjacent. Reassembled my laptop switched it on and Voile'. I then had video and it booted right up. Then I downloaded that new Ver.1.60 BIOS file on to the laptop desktop and as LH advised kept my grubby little mitts off until it was finished. I reset the location, date and time and was back in business.

I thank all of you for your research and effort to assist me. I really appreciate it!

I hope you all won't think less of me for using the low tech multimeter lead instead of the paper clip...

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

LH

Great stuff :) Use whatever gets the job done. And believe you me, I think you will find some of our members have used some pretty bizarre things, and tactics, to solve a problem :)

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.