How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Toshiba Laptop Not Booting Up

(30 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by garyallen349
  • Latest reply from garyallen349
  • Topic Viewed 1300 times

garyallen349

Hi All

I have been given a Toshiba Satellite L500 laptop to repair. The fault is that the laptop will not turn on even if the laptop is plugged in. At present I am presumming a problem with the DC power jack. I wasn't given the power adapter with the laptop so I am using another adapter which I know is working as it works on another Toshiba I have at home. I will strip the laptop down and check the DC jack. My question is are they repairable or is it better just to replace the jack.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Is it a 3 connection jack ?

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Common problem with the L500 was that the plug was quite a tight fit, thus putting unnecessary strain on the socket at times and displaced the centre pin.
Repairing the PSU is not an option.
Perhaps this vid could help;

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. Lighthouse the jack has just one centre pin. Mike the video was quite informative, I can see the centre pin when I look into the jack but not sure if it's pushed back a bit. Will post back again when I get the jack out to inspect it.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi All

Just an update and help with this repair. I have obtained the power adapter for the laptop and it is working fine, it is outputting 19.25v. I have stripped the laptop down to the motherboard and the DC jack does not appear to be broken. I have taken a reading from the where the DC jack is plugged into the motherboard and still get a reading of 19.25v. Not quite sure where to go to next any suggestions very welcome.

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

HI All

Just another request for further guidance. As stated above, the adapter is working fine and where the DC jack is plugged into the motherboard is reading the required 19v. Could this be that the motherboard has failed. Also where is the best place to price a new motherboard, have tried ebay but no joy.

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi All

I guess no one else had any thoughts re this problem. As I said the DC jack itself is not broken, it attaches to the motherboard by means of a white plug which is then soldered to the mobo. When I use the multimeter on the DC connection to the mobo it reads 19.25v. So obviously power is reaching the mobo so can anyone tell me if any defective component such as processor, memory or hard drive would stop the laptop at least attempting to boot. If power was reaching the mobo should the laptop not reach the POST stage where it would indicate defective memory etc.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

WAG here, could be that the power button itself is malfunctioning.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Are there any lights on the laptop that come on even momentarily ?

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi GuiltySpark

There are no lights whatosever come on, not even momentarily. WAG the power button is on its own small PCB so it could be a cause. Apparently the laptop was shutdown normally then when the owner tried to switch it on again there was no life in laptop.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

You mean you don't have a power button on the laptop ?

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi

Sorry GuilltySpark I maybe wasn't very clear in my last post. The power button along with a couple of other media control buttons are placed just above the keyboard on the top panel of the laptop. When you strip it down there is a small PCB attached to the top cover for these buttons which is in turn attached to the mobo via a small ribbon cable. Hope this is maybe a bit clearer.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Yea, thanks mate I thought that's what you were referring to just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about a switch on the Adapter.

Will have a think about that but first thought is Mobo failure. Sadly.

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Sure sounds like a dead MB. Do a search for laptop spares / breakers in your country, and see what you can find.
But just had a thought. Try injecting a 5V hit tiredly to the MB at the point of the power switch.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

For a rough idea of price : http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Lighthouse

Thanks for your feedback. With regard to applying the 5v charge to the mobo at the point of the power switch, haven't done that before could you give me the steps and equitment needed.

Cheers

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

A circuit diagram would help for starters.
Have you looked on the Tosh forums, to see if this is a common problem ?

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Normally what you are finding points to a MB fail.
The difficulty is that the MB between manufacturers are so very different, without a circuit diagram, very difficult to source the problem.
I work with a lot of Toshibas but do not have a diagram for this model.

Have you considered water damage/spillage? That could point to the power button, perhaps have a look at the button 'locked' for some reason?

However, here are some links that may help you, but be careful if you want to proceed.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/.....oard-1.htm

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop11.htm

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi mike

Thanks will have a look at the links and will try and track down a circuit diagram.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Mike

Just checking I have goggled and came across a schematic circuit diagram, would this be suitable. With regard to the power button being locked, how would I check this. When I push the power button I can hear it clicking and pushing down slightly, would this indicate the power button is not locked.

Thanks

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Can you post a link to the schematic circuit diagram please.

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Lighthouse

Here is link http://laptop-schematics.com/free-samples/

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

G41M

You can use a multimeter to check the switch. There are I think 4 pins on them - two gets in contact when you press the switch. Test all the combination using continuity. There should be movement in the pointer when you press the switch. Alternatively, with power supply (battery or adapter), short the two pins with with a piece of wire (test all combinations), if the switch is bad, this should power on the laptop. Test also the flat ribbon cable going to the main board for continuity, especially the points from the switch going to the motherboard. I have seen some of them fails.

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi G41M

Will have a closer look at the switch. This is my first laptop repair, a steep learning curve it appears.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Not so much a learning curve but could become "a fools errand" as you have no source for highly proprietary replacement parts. The land fills are over flowing with proprietary electronic junk I'm afraid.

Tis Very Good if you can fix it. :)

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Raphoenix

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the switch. If I can't find any problem will admit defeat.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi all

Just a last update. Had a look at the power switch pcb and all seemed to be working fine. Admitted defeat the only conclusion I could come to was a failed mobo. To expensive to repair for customer.

Thanks for all your help. Just starting out on my PC repair career so all the help I receive from how to geeks is very welcome. Thanks again.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi All

Just another query re this. On a Toshiba forum another person put forward the theory that defective memory would stop the laptop from powering up. If there was not a problem with the motherboard should the laptop not power up and defective memory be detected at the POST with the appropriate bleep signal.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

G41M

Yes it I think it is possible if the defect is causing a short circuit on the motherboard, but it is rare. You can try removing the memory module(s) and power up the laptop. If laptop powers up, then maybe the "rare" thing happened to the laptop. One thing you might also like to look for is a busted fuse (marked as "F" on most pcbs) possibly on the power module.

Posted 4 years ago

garyallen349

Hi G41M

Thanks for that will check all your pointers. Definitely learning a few things.

Gary

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.