The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

"The Document Has Moved, Redirecting..."

(75 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from billy12345
  • Topic Viewed 8401 times

billy12345

That is the response I get after doing a search under google, for example, when I click on the first few listings that the search brings up. It then takes me to a page of other advertisers. If I go back and keep clicking it, it may eventually go to the site I am clicking on after about 8 or 10 tries. So now, after I do the search, I have to ignore the first few listings that come up, and I might start with the third or fourth one. I always use Google, but I checked searching under Yahoo search, same thing.

Happens on my desktop only, an Acer w/XP, but does not happen on laptop, Toshiba w/Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

personally i would run malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ) in safe mode to begin with & see what happens

Posted 6 years ago

whs

There are sites where that genuinly happens. But it could also be a virus. Do what bubbatie1 says - just to make sure.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

But I have Norton AV

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Use the Malwarebytes that are linked above.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

I have to restart system in "safe mode" first?

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

Ever considered using norton safe search? personally i love it with wot installed also makes ones browsing experience sweet. direct to the point everytime btw i also been using norton for years currently nis2011, malwarebytes is a must have even the good av's arent 100 % .i have seen malwarebytes pick out things nis2011 overlooked !

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

yes safe mode loads only the essentials

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

btw if ya downloaded malwarebytes for the first time it is a must you update it first (update = download current definitions) b4 you run it

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

damn...gonna need some help. I was just looking up how to start in safe mode, but doesn't go with what I see. Says click start, click shut down...but there is no shut down to click on. And after I download the malwarebytes, I have to do a bunch ofupdates to it before using it?

The Norton system I have comes free with the Comcast Cable Internet, I've heard Norton was one of the good ones. But, I wouldn't get it if I had to buy one, I'd go for one of the freebies I've seen mentioned often. Odd how the free ones can be so good. By the way, what is the "wot" you say you have installed with Norton?

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok first wot stands for web of trust https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2200/enjoy-safer-web-browsing-with-wot/ & yes open up malwarebytes look for "updates" then check for updates. then reboot computer tapping the f8 key to acess "safe mode"

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Damn, had a big paragraph, hit the wrong key and lost it. When I go to the Mal site, there is no "updates". There are 5 revisions.
Do revisions get downloaded before downloading MalW?(first time)

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Little tip. If you are going to write a long post, then write it in Notepad, then copy and paste into your post. Saves a lot of frustration.

Posted 6 years ago

Enthusiast

Google allows advertisers to pay to have their listings at the top of your results page when your search hits on something they want advertised. These results usually have a different color background (at least in IE). Rarely does clicking on one of these ads return useful information on the search term(s), as they are trying to get you to make a purchase of something. I avoid the colored background items when selecting results after a search.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

billy12345

What search are you doing and what site in particular?

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

LH, thanks for the tip, may do that. I'v e had to re-write things many times cause I went back to look at something, and forgot it would be gone when I returned. But now to fix it, I put up a duplicate window, so I can always keep the reply box up there, and that works good...most of the time.

Enthusiast - yes, I think they always have a darker background. But I wonder why it does not happen on my laptop.

GuiltySpark - It does not matter, it always happens on the desktop comp.

bubbatie1 - Getting me a bit confused. When I go to MalW site, the work "updates" does not appear any where. Go look. Do you mean the 5 'versions' listed under "Latest News"? And this will be the first time downloading MalW....so do I download those first, then shutdown, restart and do the F8 to end up in safe mode...then, download MalW from the safemode? I assume when you say 'download', you mean download/run/install,etc.?

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Just download the Free version, save to desktop, install via the setup file creating shortcut in the process, then restart computer in safe mode with networking, click the update tab and check for updates, then back to scanner tab and run Full scan.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

will it say "with networking"?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

That is one of the options - you'll see. Navigate with the UP/DOWN keys until it is highlighted, then press Enter. No cursor on the initial screen.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

I downloaded the free version, got it onto the desktop. Double clicked on it, got the wizard to start installing it, then:

"There was a problem installing ClickPotato"
"Please check your recommended computer settings and click retry " (don't know about settings, so I just tried clicking retry a few times and it just came back, so then I clicked cancel, and it went back to the beginning of the setup wizard)
ALSO:
"Norton Security Suite"
(big red X) "Security Request"
"Restart Required"
"Your computer must restart in order to continue the removal of security risks"

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

ClickPotato is adware, see http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....lickPotato

Download the free version of http://www.superantispyware.com/

Update the database and then run a full scan.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Wow...getting out of hand. I try to D/L MalWare to get rid of possible virus or malware causing problem when searching...I'm stopped by "ClickPotato"(?) which has nothing to do with MalWare...now I should try D/L superantispyware to stop the ClickPotato adware, which is stopping the D/L of the MalWare, then update someone's database. Why superantispyware? I thought this MalWareBytes was "the thing"?

Are things always this complicated for a basic user? Thought it was gonna be a relatively simple issue when I made the first post, now I'm getting confused enough to just disregard it, don't want to pick brains for 50 or 100 posts and make a mountain out of what I thought was a molehill. Maybe my comp is just a "lemon", and has "weird" problems.

So, the point where I am at right now, is end of previous post, I did the restart, and that's it, the starting over point I guess. Now, I am not sure if I should D/L MalW (try), then update it first by D/Ling the 5 MalW "versions" before I "run" MalW (bubbatie1 = "...if ya download the malwarebytes for the first time it is a must you update it first b4 you run it..."). Also - bubbatie1 says "...open malwarebyes, look for "updates" then check for updates...". Look and check? You must mean look for any updates, and if there are any, D/L them. Then you say reboot in safe mode. Then "run/install" MalW? I'm about ready to roll over and play dead.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok open up malwarebytes should look like this

then update it here under the "update tab looks like this

after all that is complete shut down the computer !

wait 30 seconds , then restart your computer tapping f8 as it is booting up start in safe mode !

you will now acess malwarebytes when your desktop appears .....click on "malwarebytes icon " on your desktop

when it opens should look something like this ............

now do a " FULL SCAN " remove anything it finds

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Billy, If you have a real virus, Malwarebytes will probably remove it. But what Malwarebytes cannot do is repair the damage that the virus has done in the system. That is why after most virus removals the system never work correctly again.

That is where the images come in. If you had an image from a few days ago, you could set back to that image in 20 minutes and there would be a fully operational system again. You can try a system restore if you have a restore point from before the virus hit you. But that does not always work - many viruses disable that capability and system restore itself is pretty iffy.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

hopefully he will get lucky as click potato is adware infested good luck billy........... anticipating your reply !

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

bubbatie1, you assumed I already had the MalW all downloaded and installed, ready to rock n' roll, when I hadn't even got to that I was so confused. But, I tried again, and clicked away at anything that looked about right, and, amazingly, things fell into place. Did the full scan, says I have 18 things infected.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

It will depend what infections those are. E.g. tracking cookies are regarded as infections but are harmless. Trojans, Viruses, keyloggers, etc. are serious and must be dealt with asap.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Under which heading tells me if they are bad ones...Vendor/Category/Item

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

open the quarintine tab look for any of the words mentioned in whs's post ex ........adware ,virus , worm, tracking cookie , trojan ect (ill be on all night to walk ya through this ) lookin forwar to your reply

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Something is wrong, none of the tabs will open when I click on them.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok any luck yet ? if not malwarbytes did quarintine these no tabs opening? hmmmmmmmm

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Waited and tried for a while, seemed to be frozen, so I closed and restarted. But now I just opened MalW back up, and I can click on the Quarantine tab...but now it shows "0" items.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok click on logs
open up log file cut & paste info in here then

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Logs tab is blank.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

hmmmmmmmmmm try a quick scan should only be bout 7 to 10 min ..malwarebytes is the one who caught the 18 nasties right ?

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

yes, it said 18 before....I did quick scan now, it says only 11.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok what are they? trojans adware cookies ect ??????????

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Now the same thing as before, nothing happens when I click on any of the tabs.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

look in the logs tab

malwarebytes saves a log after every scan click on a log & see what it says .......... when you get that far

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Like I said, same as before...nothing happens when I click on ANY of the tabs.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Does it matter that I am now in regular mode and not safe mode?

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

do another full scan mbam should be quarintining these as it detects them your log file should look something like this in therory you should always scan in safe mode as safe mode loads only what it needs to boot up with

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

so should I go into safe mode? And what the heck is "mbam"?

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Doesn't matter that's what it SHOULD look like, it's like it's frozen like before, none of the tabs opens.

Posted 6 years ago

vistual

if his ui is freezing up maybe running sas like mike suggested earlier - might help a little.
Billy, if you want to try it out.
get this one here ....
The Portable Version
after you download it.
run it > update it > and perform a full scan

just another option after trying once again with malwarebytes IN SAFE MODE.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

thanks vistual for bailing me out never heard of malwarebytes freezing up

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Oh man, not another one to go thru.

Posted 6 years ago

vistual

LOL!
no installation for that option billy,
just download it > run it > update it > & run your scan (select "full scan option")

yup, bubbatie1, weird.
who knows maybe after running SAS he'll have better luck with it.
really should try going into safe mode to run these billy.
give it a shot

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

i like using sas once a week to look deep for nasties.i keep it in my "tool box" & use as needed i pivot nis2011 & malwarebytes every other day since audust & never had a problem with mbam just too odd........was at a loss for words again thanks Vistual

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Give it another shot at full scan now that I am in safe mode now. And what is an "mbam"? And how come in safe mode the screen is too wide, I have to use the scroll bars at the bottom, how can I fix that? Or will that turn into a colossal problem?

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

mbam = Malware Bytes Anti Malware

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Did the full scan in safe mode, shows 18 infected like it did before. None of the tabs would open. Then I clicked on Show the Results, and it lists 18 things under the headings Vendor/Category/Item. I click on the tabs above, the Quarantine tab or the Logs tab, and you guessed it...nothing happens. What a surprise.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

does it give you the option to quarintine them ? if so do it then cut & paste them in here so we can see what it is infected with

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

No, I said in previous post, quarantine tab or log tab, I get nothing.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

None of the tabs opens

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok well then maybe malwarebytes is conflicting with your comp for some unknown reason .try the link vistual suggested it will be quicker & painless as no install required

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

ohh crap, here goes...

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Wait...just wondering...you are talking about the quarantine and logs tabs above. What about the tabs below? Remove Selected/Ignore/Save Log/Main Menu. The one "Remove Selected" is in darker bolder print than the others. The 18 items are listed, and all have a box with a checkmark in it, and the first word is either adware or rogue.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

yes thats the one

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

could you cut & paste a copy of that log in here so we know what we are dealing with ? it will give us a better idea on how to apprach it . im afraid after see'n that word rogue.......... a clean install may be in order still wanna see the log

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

I have to run Full Scan again to get things showing. They don't stay. When I opened Malw today, all the above tabs would click open, but the log and quarantine tab is empty.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

ok still watching this thread

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

It just finished, I have the 18 items as before. None of the other tabs at the top will open, as before. The 18 items are shown listed under the Scanner tab. 13 start with "Adeware", 5 start with "rogue". They all have a box to the left of them with a check mark in it.

Tabs at the Bottom are: Remove Selected (in darker, bolder letters than the others) / Ignore / Save Log / Main Menu.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

remove selected & save log file after removal scan again & see if they r gone

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Your sentence is confusing as to which I should click on first. I clicked on "Remove Selected". After a few things went whizzing by, a window came up and stopped things, a window titled "mbam-log-2011-04-08 (14-12-06) - Notepad". It lists things that were infected, etc. I counted 16 spots where it said "quarantined and deleted successfully".

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

A small window popped up saying all items have been removed successfully.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

excellent !

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

But I just did a full scan, and it shows one item still there...don't see how it could say all were removed.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

The one left says Adware.Agent.Gen

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

try to remove it using malwarebytes or

http://www.superantispyware.co.....S_HOMEPAGE try this to remove it

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Did another scan, and now it says it got rid of it..."0" items found.

How did I have any to begin with when I have Norton?

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

dont know usually norton is pretty good about catching nasties but nothing is 100%. thats why i also periodically scan my system with malwarebytes,superantispyware, norton .they are a pretty good defense to keep a system clean .

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

@ bubbatie1

Sorry to hijack but the OP said in one of his posts " The Norton system I have comes free with the Comcast Cable Internet ", so it could be a very basic version they've set up for him.

Posted 6 years ago

bubbatie1

please dont apologise i welcome more experienced ppl to help/guide me also & by looking at the number of posts you have i welcome your experience ty .as far as norton goes im sure they have him set up that way to probably detect (basics) & not really safegaurd him against threats as our paid versions do !

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Some ways back I think someone said once you get whacked, even once you get rid of it, that does not bring the comp back the way it was before you got whacked, because the MalW cannot repair damage that may have been done?

By the way, the problem I was having when I started this thread (see first post), I just did some checking for a while, and I still have it, so I guess it is not due to a virus after all. I guess it is like "Enthusiast" suggested on the first page of this thread, where advertisers pay google just to be at the top, evern though it may not be totally relevant to your search, which really sucks. But, how come everyone does not have it this way? And how come it's not on my laptop like this?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.