The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Test my product - Booster+

(38 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by gowthamgutha
  • Latest reply from gowthamgutha
  • Topic Viewed 909 times

gowthamgutha

Can anyone test and review my product Booster+ , check whether it is a useful tool or not

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

You do know that you are not allowed to self promote on this forum ?

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Although we don't condone self promotion, you make a big mistake. What is to be boosted?
I am prepared to download and test but I would want to know what the product 'actually' does before doing so.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/booster/ gives an outline but how does it differ from others?

'Can anyone test and review my product Booster+ , check whether it is a useful tool or not' is a little light in the request

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

I will remove the link until we know more.

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

@lighthouse The post is not in the view of self promotion. Well, if some other product could come into the market, we usually talk about it, report problems, discuss them and make them solved. How-To Geek did not discuss about self promotion of products in forums though this post does not do so.

@vistamike The difference lies in the features, it is a set of tools, features are listed in the page which you've linked. They differentiate the product from others, boosting in the sense of speeding up the PC, the long description in the project homepage if taken into consideration gives an idea of what the product really is

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Fatal Installation Error (Jet 7.6 issue)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky

Like Rick, your first problem:

Tony

Posted 4 years ago

owen123

Same Problem Here

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Same issue here

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Now you can download @

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Direct downloads are not allowed!

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

gowthamgutha, direct downloads are strictly disallowed on HTG, please link to the page where the option is given please

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

ok, I got it installed.

Erm, what is it supposed to do again?

There is no log to fall back on it just did this on a quick 'test'

But what did it 'do'?

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Ok. Fine. I will maintain a log of what is deleted from now, what still?

Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

@vistamike, @guiltyspark Thanks. I wont repeat it again. :)

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

As far as I can tell it is not a "Booster" of any kind as it does the same thing as the windows options USING the windows options eg...Uninstallers, Task Managers etc.

Installing a Third party app to "Boost" your system (yet another process) is a bit like saying "hey why not get rid of that 500GB drive and install this 20GB drive as its smaller and can therefor run faster".

The title is misleading, however keep plugging away, if this is your first Programme then it's pretty good but to be taken seriously you would have to create something that resembles "thin air" and does a better job all round of removing crap on a system.

I just uninstalled UBCD4WIN off a test machine and there are still Reg files left over.

SUMMARY

Not bad as attempts go BUT, nothing that you don't already get with Windows OS.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Much work needed, it is pretty useless for 'everyday' use, most is contained in Windows anyway.

I think you need to do much more work and thinking before this goes to market let alone test

At the moment it is in the pre-prototype stage.

Explain this; without a log and or explanation why would I want to 'Restart Immediately' without a proper report?

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Thanks. It is 'my' first successful program. I am deciding it to improve it as a cleaner by hunting for the unnecessary junk and the 'Optimize Services' is something the services that are not really needed to one computer.

Well i found them on major blogs. Like you all people know and even suggest, that these services needed to be disabled for better performance, the same thing can be done in a single click there.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

No disrespect intended, but I'm ALWAYS leery of these programs. Many reasons :

1) Can I recover and restore and choices made?
2) How 'safe' is doing something with this program?
3) Can it live up to its claims?
4) Is the author/designer/programmer competent?

From what I've seen, this programs doesn't meet #1. #2 takes time and trial and error to see if it is safe?

#3 is very hard to establish. Specifically ANY cleaner or 'tweaker' with respect to speed usually doesn't do much for one. Yes, there are many sides to the 'cleaner' of debris and registry if they do anything or not? Many remove temporary files and registry entries. Yes, immediately it appears the system is faster and more responsive, but over time and those temp items return there probably no difference than before.

#4 is a big one. Even people like Black Viper has some 'suggestions', but those are good ONLY if you know what you are doing and what you need to change? I've seen other programs that work on services by asking you what you do, wireless, games, power user, etc., but I've always had to go back in and change things. I seriously doubt one can find a program that will exactly do that? Personally I'd leave your age off, at least on the main screens. I'd have an 'about' or 'contact' tab that you could disclose this tidbit to people.

Again, all this I hope you take as constructive criticism, it is really meant that way.

Oh, the name, 'Booster' scares me off to tell you the truth. What I really see is an aggregate of tasks either that many users would know how to do or other programs have as well. What sets this program off from others?

Don't let me or anyone else discourage you though, keep on going and improve the program until it stands head and shoulders above others like it.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Irv, you are absolutely correct, anything that suggests +booster+ is damn well gonna cause more problems than you had in the first place.

Many people do look to speed their systems not perhaps realising that they have plenty tools to hand anyway.

I would rethink the idea of a 'booster'
Oh and by the way, it is not required in win 7. 7 takes very good care without 3rd party interference. A point to note
Another point to note, if it ain't broke, don't bloody fix it

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

I would scrap that project altogether, and build a better uninstaller than Revo. (and write it in assembler)

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

LH, I found another one that I like and tend to use rather than Revo Pro (I've got a 64 bit W7).

I had found it just before I got my wife a new system. It is call Advance Uninstaller Pro (I'd put a link here but sometimes you mod's delete mine <VBG>) by Innovative Solutions.

It is a sort of 'Swiss Army Knife' program too, but the Uninstaller seems to work well.

Another I found I liked even better 'was' Mirekusoft Install Monitor. It will SHOW you what the install put where, even AFTER the fact (I'm sure it is just reading the UNINSTALL data file). It too seemed to clean up well programs it removed.

Unfortunately, the TWO don't get along well. After installing the 2nd on I got Error 256 when trying to run the first. Contacted their support and exchanged messages, basically try re-installing again, and again... I discovered the same error on uninstall too and they stopped writing me back. Then I discovered the second program did it to them. Must use or replace a program/file the other uses I assume. I've contacted the 2nd company with this info but have NOT heard back so far...

Each is NICE, can't tell if they really are better than Revo BUT they are FREE. Give them a try and let me know what you think?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

The only tweak and the only reason behind the name booster+ is optimizing the services and doing nothing else.

and these services as i have said before are the ones that you people will also have disabled on your PC's and Booster+ is a try for novices to make their PC's run as yours :)

Is this wrong? Would you people say me that only yours and my PC should work fine ? I dont think so ! :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Ha, just go with one of the Clean Up Programs as Seen on TV like I use. :)

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

gowthamgutha, forget the idea, please.
I would get better change out of a steam cleaner (Clean Up Programs on TV).

'Is this wrong? Would you people say me that only yours and my PC should work fine ? I dont think so !'

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

(LOL) (LOL)..........

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Most if not Services start, see if there is anything they need do and exit. If they don't, they go 'dormant' awaiting a request for services. Same goes for many device drivers.

I don't recall ANYONE directing anyone to disable any services with respect to speeding up a system? Yes, to stop swapping when that is suspect, or to wring the most out of a systems performance, but this isn't an everyday thing. As Mike has also said, W7 does a good and different job of managing memory for you almost making that a no-op.

Disabling a service WILL NOT do anything for your system but 2 things. Stop the load, and by that, speeding up booting. One service WILL NOT make a noticeable difference by anyone. Not loading it into RAM keeps the RAM free for other things. However, like I said, W7's memory management probably removes the need to do this.

I defy ANYONE to optimize any specific machine's services without knowing all the specifics of use COMPLETELY. Yes, one can make a 'profile' for gaming lets say that throws out all the services that have nothing to do with gaming, but that is a different story and 'optimizing' a computer for general use.

By the way, my wife just got an i7-3770 3.4Ghz CPU with 8GB's of 1600 speed RAM and boots off of a SATA 3 SSD in no time flat. It is so fast, the screen that shows the 4 color circles on the first W7 screen that forms a flag, never forms the flag. Just before it does the screen goes black for a few seconds and the desktop appears and within 5 seconds the system is totally up. Do you think I ever LOOKED at her Services to trim those down?

Messing with Services is not something that should be done unless YOU know why it is being done, but that is my take on the situation.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Mike, give the kid a chance. If he can do what no one else can, more power to him.

With all the experience I (and probably many others) have, I would NOT know where to start on this project.

As I said, with new h/w and the speed they bring to the desk/lap, a lot of the old tools are not going to be needed. Heck, SSD's don't need a defrag'er. Windows does it under the covers for you if you don't have an SSD too, and with today's machines does anyone KNOW it is happening?

Think about A/V's and FW's too. Almost all got a rap that they interfered with machine operations 4 or more years ago. With today's h/w again you can't tell they are running?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Yes i have verified whether their PC really need them and at the same time a backup changes option will also be introduced :)

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

@vistamike 'Optimizing services' is just a feature, one uses it or not is their wish but let the feature be, the cleaning really matters . Am I right?

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Irv, ok.....
Can I just post this? Because we have seen it all before and it's

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Like I said before, 'cleaning' of temporary files doesn't do much in the long run. Better to remove unneeded programs, especially one that autostart, then taking out temp files.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

I just want to develop something like CCleaner .. Fine :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@gowthamgutha,

There's MUCH to configure with Services and Tasks if one is running SSDs in raid arrays so blanket generic setups plus cleanups are pretty much out of the question for computer enthusiasts and builders.

However for the OEM users with OEM systems, your program might have merit for sure. :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

@raphoenix Ok. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Now how is it?

Booster+ website

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Thank GOD I created a restore point before I installed this App.
Booster+ 3x wiped out any hope of using desktop themes after clicking the "Optimize system" button.
Tried the "Repair" button and chose to restore Aero themes but nothing happened, even after a restart.
I have no idea what else it trashed because that's where I stopped my testing.
I then ran the "System Restore point" I created and restored my system.

My personal opinion - Booster+ 3X is "Not ready for Prime Time".
Keep up the good work though, gowthamgutha. ;)

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

gowthamgutha

Check the Themes service and Desktop Manager Session Manager service. They should be set to automatic. Are they?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.