The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) Taskbar is too "thick"

(16 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 9168 times

billy12345

Happened somehow by itself, but it is two lines 'thick', instead of the one. Putting the cursor on the top edge till it goes to a double arrow does not work to bring it down to single line. I can drag it upward and make the taskbar even thicker, but when I drag it down to make it thinner, it stops at the double thickness.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Does it look something like this?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,
----------
XP Poster
----------
Right Click on blank area of taskbar.
---
UN-Check Lock the Taskbar check mark.
---
Move mouse pointer close to Top of Taskbar and vertical arrow will appear.
---
Left Click top of Taskbar and pull down to one level.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

billy12345

Bartman - yes, that is what I mean by too "thick"...you can fit 2 rows of info
---
Rick P. - like I said in my post...the double arrow won't move it. And it is already "unlocked"

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Ok. Move your pointer over to the left of the tabs until you get a double arrow,
left click, hold, and move up. It should push the tabs up to the same level as the shortcuts.
Now see if you can move the task bar down more.

Posted 9 years ago

billy12345

I previously said when I get the vertical double arrow, I can move it up to make it thicker, but it will not go down to a single 'line'.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

billy, try this. Right-click on the taskbar to bring up the menu, then in the "Toolbar" sub-menu, toggle OFF all check marked items. Once there are no check marks there, resize the taskbar down to one line. Right-click and select "Lock the Taskbar". Then you can add back any extra toolbars that you still want.

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,
---
I thought the other night you were running XP ????
---
My Bad for post above. :( :(
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

With the taskbar unlocked.

This is the arrow I was talking about.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

@Rick, He might be using XP. I thought maybe this will work in XP also.
Or maybe not. LOL

Posted 9 years ago

billy12345

??...I am using XP

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

@Bart,
---
Yeah all 3 of us have given basically the same instructions.
---
Since I don't run Vista, I try NOT to respond if it's a Vista or 2007 question unless really simple.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Gang, it does work the same in XP as Vista. Bartman demonstrated why the taskbar might not shrink -- having multiple toolbars that are above-and-below rather than side-by-side will prevent it. That's why I suggest turning off all other toolbars before shrinking the taskbar down to one line. The drag-and-drop method using the *horizontal* double-arrow, also demonstrated by Bartman, works just as well. However, it can be tricky when pushing the toolbars around by their handles to know exactly what will go where.

Posted 9 years ago

billy12345

Scott W - Finally, that did it! What an annoyin little problem that has been. I only had 'language' and 'quick launch' checked in the Toolbar submenu but I un-checked them, and the double arrow worked. I couldn't find anything searching in the help menus about WHY the double arrow might not do what it was supposed to do. I could only find "...to make taskbar thicker or thinner, turn cursor into the double arrow, drag...", etc. Thanks alot, that was a quick and easy painless fix.

Posted 9 years ago

billy12345

Bartman - oh, a sideways arrow. Some things jumped around, b ut then the vertical dble arrow still wouldn't make it thinner

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Yeah. As Scott said it's a little tricky to do it the way I explained.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.