The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Task Scheduler will not run

(14 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from Katagiri
  • Topic Viewed 3090 times

ispalten

I happened to upgrade my Norton ISS to 2012. Looking on their forum I saw that people had left-over task that didn't exist anymore. Rather then start them I decided I'd just delete them.

Well, I can't? The mmc plug-in might be bad?

I get a dialog box that either had a choice of basically closing the task scheduler amd reporting it to MS or just opening the scheduler without the MMC (and I can't do a thing).

Error :

------------------
FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.MmcThreadMessageWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.MessageBox(HandleRef hWnd, String text, String caption, Int32 type)
at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.ShowCore(IWin32Window owner, String text, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton, MessageBoxOptions options, Boolean showHelp)
at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(IWin32Window owner, String text, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton, MessageBoxOptions options)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.MessageBoxParameters.ShowDialog(IWin32Window parent)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ConsoleDialogHost.ShowDialog(WaitCursor waitCursor, ShowDialogCallback callback)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.MMCConsole.ShowDialog(MessageBoxParams messageParams)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.DisplayError.ShowMessageBox(Boolean parentIsModal, String message, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.DisplayError.UserError(String errorString)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.UITaskBase.ShowServiceIsDownMessage(Exception e, Boolean restartService)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.UITaskFolder.GetUITaskList(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs eWorker, Boolean loadTaskDefinitions, Boolean includeHiddenTasks)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.TaskDetailControl.EnumerateTasksAndAddToList()
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.TaskDetailControl.RefreshData(Boolean firstRefresh)
at Microsoft.TaskScheduler.SnapIn.TaskSchedFolderFormViewControl.RefreshData(Boolean firstTime)
at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.TaskDetailControl.InitializeTaskDetailControl()
at Microsoft.TaskScheduler.SnapIn.TaskSchedFolderFormViewControl.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.IFormViewControl.Initialize(FormView snapinFormView)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.FormView.InternalInitialize()
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.HandleInitializationRequest(IRequestStatus requestStatus)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

=============

I do NOT know when this started?

Suggestions? NO, I am not going to re-install W7!

Irv S.
============

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Oh, this is the file info for the snap-in :

06/10/09 04:58 PM 145,059 taskschd.msc

Compared it to an old back-up image, the same? It WAS working before?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi Irv ,

Is this the Norton scheduler or Windows sched. that wont open ?

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Windows... opens but presents the error. Scheduled tasks appear to be running though. Just can't open the GUI to make changes it seems?

I've searched the web, a lot of people with this problem, no real answers or marked solved. Best one was to re-install .Net Framework 3.1, but those are almost 2 year old suggestions and I never saw any that it solved?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

You've probably already found this but as I dont use Norton I'm not sure whats happening your end but take a look at the 3rd post in this thread maybe it'll help you to work out whats going on : http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2012-Scheduling-and-in-general-is-Horrible/td-p/527148

Meantime I'll keep searching.

Can you get to the Event viewer at all even through Control Panel ?

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Guilty, saw that one, but it is talking about the old way, using the Windows Scheduler to perform tasks... and those are the tasks left in the schedule that I wanted to remove. They have the version number of the A/V in the file path which with the update was removed. Norton now handles scheduling itself.

I can open Event Viewer and I think all other *.MSC tasks (I've NOT tried them all). Eventvwr.msc, Services.msc, they open.

Checking them all now...

-------------------------
c:\Windows\System32>dir *.msc
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of c:\Windows\System32

06/10/09 04:38 PM 41,587 azman.msc
06/10/09 04:56 PM 63,070 certmgr.msc
06/10/09 04:50 PM 41,762 CIADV.MSC
06/10/09 04:34 PM 124,118 comexp.msc
06/10/09 04:38 PM 113,256 compmgmt.msc
06/10/09 05:07 PM 145,640 devmgmt.msc
06/10/09 05:08 PM 47,679 diskmgmt.msc
06/10/09 04:58 PM 145,127 eventvwr.msc
06/10/09 04:38 PM 144,909 fsmgmt.msc
08/23/01 01:00 PM 34,871 gpedit.msc
06/10/09 04:44 PM 144,998 lusrmgr.msc
06/10/09 04:43 PM 63,411 NAPCLCFG.MSC
06/10/09 04:50 PM 145,519 perfmon.msc
06/10/09 04:38 PM 92,745 services.msc
06/10/09 04:58 PM 145,059 taskschd.msc
06/10/09 05:04 PM 144,862 tpm.msc
06/10/09 04:46 PM 115,091 WF.msc
06/10/09 04:59 PM 144,673 WmiMgmt.msc
18 File(s) 1,898,377 bytes
0 Dir(s) 72,712,900,608 bytes free
--------------------

AHH!!! Interesting. Ran COMPMGMT.MSC, Computer Management and it shows Task Scheduler on the list.... when I select it I get this :

Task Google Software Updater: The task image is corrupt or had been tampered with.

Hmmm. Task Scheduler works this way???? Odd?

Hmm. those jobs are in \windows\system32\tasks...

07/23/11 12:32 PM 3,986 Google Software Updater
06/03/11 01:46 PM 3,642 GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
06/03/11 01:46 PM 3,894 GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA

I renamed the Google Software Updater with a .old extension. Re-ran compmgmt.msc, works fine now. So does Task Manager????

I have an older file from the same date on another drive when I switched to the SSD, wonder if IT works? Nope, BAD....????

I'll have to dig out a good copy I guess off my external drives? Only go back 5 weeks on the system with Ghost...

Something to do in the next few days....

Thanks for making me take the time to figure this out!

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Glad you got it sorted Irv, now you'll have to go over to ALL those other forums and let them know how to. LOL

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

I know HOW to circumvent the problem, not fix it yet? Don't know what is wrong with the file or why it is causing the problem? Google gets updated frequently, I'll just wait I guess? Whenever I update a Google product, which is rare, maybe it will get fixed.

I can't see anything on the web how to update the updater?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

I guess you saw this ?
http://www.google.com/support/installer/bin/answer.py?answer=98805

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Yes, sigh... and when you expanded and took all the links you'd see there is no 'meat' there... it is almost like that stuff no longer exists... redirects to other products or just remove it mostly.

I update Google Earth occasionally, don't use Chrome, so those are the two Google products I use. Interestingly, Skype which I do use and gets updated, has 'its hooks' into the Updater as well it seems? Hmmm....

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

But doesn't specify W7,
Link removed.

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

LH, thanks <VBG>, man, that was one dangerous app... yes, it is an updater, it checks your Google products and sees if they are up-to-date. Yes, they were, however it ALSO installed AVAST 'free' A/V. When I went to stop it, I couldn't? I didn't see an option NOT to install it either? Maybe it was there and I missed it, who knows. The 'pausing' function put up a dialog box and 'blacked' out the screen around it. I lost my mouse during this... figured out how to get the keyboard to work at least and then used Revo... what a pain....

All Google products are up to date, I'll just have to wait to re-install one when there is an update I guess?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Lighthouse

Sorry about that. I didn't test the download. Will do when W8 has finished it's download.

Edit you are correct. It installs everything on the list, with no options to ignore them.
I have removed the link from my last post.

Posted 7 years ago

Katagiri

Sorry to revive but I want to thank you all because I had the same problem and I could solve it.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.