The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - System Restore eating up space

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Guidez
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 463 times

Guidez

I have system restore enabled on my computer. I have kept 4 restore points, yet my total usage is of over 50 gigs. How is that possible? This is really inconvenient because as the supposed usage is going over my limit of 50 gigs, my oldest restore points are being deleted.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

How big is the partition/drive ?

Posted 5 years ago

Guidez

919GB

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Normally I think it takes 15% of the drive for System Restore. Over 100GB's in your case. You can check it and lower it HERE.

However, that should be way more than only 4 restore points? Am I reading your post wrong? Is it that you set it to 50GB's and can only keep 4 restore points? If so, HERE is a program that will allow you to explore the restore points. You should be able to determine what is using a lot of space.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Restore points will (by default) use upto 15% of your HDD space (you can change that)
It sounds like you have either a corrupted point, or have had a virus at some point.
Use the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool to clean out all but the last point, and let us know what happens in a few days.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

The 15% rule applies to Vista systems - but not to Windows 7 systems. The default shadowstorage in Windows 7 can be 3% to 15% depending on the size of the partition. The bigger the partition, the smaller the percentage.

Open an elevated Command Prompt and run this command:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

That will tell you how much shadowstorage (the storage where the restore points are being kept) is currently allocated and what the maximum is. It is easy to reduce the maximum size, but you may lose your current restore points.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Guidez

It must have fixed itself. That command was useful..

Used: 7GB
Allocated: 9GB
Max: 36GB (4%)

@whs Can you tell me what allocated means in this case?

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

It means that it actually has 9GB in it's grasp, but using only 7GB while it will limit itself from taking more than 36GB no matter what.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

The explanation that Xhi gave you is correct.

Note that your shadowstorage is quite big. It is good for at least 40 restore points. Figure 512MB to 1GB per restore point. If you want to reduce it to e.g. 10GB, this is the command:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=10GB

In lieu of '10GB', you can of course chose any size. But it must be in GB or MB where 300MB is the minimum. Note that during the reduction operation you may lose your current restore points. But you can easily create a new one.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.