The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - System Restore doesn't fix, won't start in Safe Mode - HELP!

(11 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by gordonsorensen
  • Latest reply from gordonsorensen
  • Topic Viewed 4308 times

gordonsorensen

Hello everyone. I am re-posting because I have received only a couple replies (whole thread posted here) and am still going nuts with the problem. Hope that is cool. I am about to pull my hair out. More than a year ago, I bought my son a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista. Things went along with no issues until several months ago. All of a sudden one day it didn't want to start. I don't recall exactly if he got the 'boot manager problem' that I have been seeing on several forums, or if it was something else. In any case, it asked if he wanted to run 'startup repair.' After I did some research on 'startup repair' just to understand that a bit, we did that. It ran and ran and ran thru this process, never arriving at any repair. No resolution. I set the laptop aside for what turned out to be a few months to research the problem or find someone to fix it. Couldn't find anyone that I trusted to fix it, and life got busy, but now I am back researching how to fix it, hopefully myself, because I figure I will learn something in the process.
So a couple of days ago I fired it up again. Same issue - it advised running it thru 'startup repair.' Did that, no luck. I then was able to get to the advanced options of several startup repair tools. I chose 'system restore.' That started its process and this multitude of file names went flying past. But then it stopped on this one: "!!0xc0190036!! 6045/68952 (wmlaunch.exe)." That might as well be Martian to me. I have no idea. I searched on it and could find nothing. I found a few things that lead me to believe that the 0xc0 is some sort of error message, but for what error I have no clue.
So then I tried the safe mode option, pressing F8 on startup. In starting in Safe Mode, it again starts flying rapidly thru this list of various install items, and it stops every time on one named "windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys." What the heck does THAT mean? I searched Google on that and found a number of results all relating pretty much exactly my situation, so will go in and check those out. But in the meantime, HELP!
Couple other items that may mean something, may mean nothing:
1. My son had run down and recharged the battery so much it was hardly holding a charge. About the only way it will even boot up now if pulling the battery and going off AC.
2. Am not sure Vista boot disks shipped with this system. I understand some Dells didn't and my son is not sure where they are if he has them.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Can anyone help me out on this? The two ways I have tried it stops on those same 2 points each time (!!0xc0.... and the crcdisk.sys). I am totally flummoxed and frustrated. This is a really nice laptop, was my son't high school grad gift, and cost a lot of money. I want to get this fixed, but have no idea the problem or where to start.

Posted 1 week ago # Top
cas34
Posts: When you boot up in safe mode then it does flash up a list of service that are loading up on your PC. There is a full list of vista services that run on your PC and an explanation on what they are. You can find a comprehensive list here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/service411.htm
I know this will not solve your problem but I thought you may want to have a look.
I also found another thread http://www.neowin.net/forum/in.....pic=607761
According to this thread the problem lies with the network card and disabling it in the bios resolves the issue. Having a quick glance through the thread it seems like the issue is with the driver for this device. I am sure someone with far greater PC knowledge than me will be along to assist soon.
Posted 1 week ago # Top gordonsorensen
Posts: 3thanks. I will check out these these two links. I am not particularly super techie, so diabling the network card in the BIOS I hope is something I can do without breaking anything more important.
Looking forward to more suggestions.
Posted 1 week ago # Top gordonsorensen
Posts: 3I checked the Black Viper site, and could not figure out how to find my Visata service "windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys" that I am looking for. However, whenever I put this in Google, or BV's search, lots of registry clean up tool ads pop up. I downloaded one from a guy from Microsoft. Problem is I can't run it on the system because I can't GET IN to the system.
Posted 1 week ago # Top

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Why don't you just reinstall Vista from the recovery partition? You are going thru an awful lot of trouble trying to make a defunct system work.

Posted 9 years ago

gordonsorensen

Well, 3 reasons. One, I don't know any better (I guess); two, I was trying to avoid that so as not to lose whatever my son has on the system, and three, I'm not sure he has the original install disks. If by 'recovery partition' you mean some known good state in a prior good startup, that didn't work either. I went back to some point but it got hung also.

So is that what you mean -- just reinstalling Vista? And if I don't have disks (I will need to check with son), is my only option just buying it? What about just installing with XP PRo? Last, would better option be to just reinstall Vista, lose the data, and get Win 7 on it when it becomes available?

Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Gordon, the recovery partition that whs refers to is not the same as Last Known Good Configuration. Many system makers, including Dell, don't ship factory restore discs with there systems. Instead, they put a special recovery partition on the hard drive that can be used to restore the operating system and software to the way it was when the system left the factory. Dell has a very good support website at http://support.dell.com and you should establish an account there using the "service tag" on the laptop. The service tag is a sticker with a kind of serial number that uniquely identifies the laptop. That way, they can tailor the help articles to your situation. For example, you can order backup discs for your system:
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

There are also instructions for how to restore from the recovery partition:
http://support.dell.com/suppor.....cid=336966

Posted 9 years ago

gordonsorensen

Scott W -- thanks! I hope this may solve my issue. I was not aware of this route. Will let you know how it comes out.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Just to add one thing. If you want to save your sons data and the system is too defunct to do it, you can use Knoppix to do that for you. You have to burn the CD on another system (which you apparently have) and then load this CD to the defunct system. The above webpage explains it pretty nicely.

Posted 9 years ago

gordonsorensen

WHS -- thanks for the additional tip. I hope to work on this tonight and will let you all know.

Posted 9 years ago

gordonsorensen

SUCCESS!! Thanks to WHS and ScottW -- I now have (rather my son now has) a working laptop again. It was really quite simple, as suggested by WHS. I went to the Dell website, and the 'restore to factory setting' article he provided a link for. Went thru that process and all is once again good. Sure did learn a lot thru this process, except what caused the problem in the first place.

As part of this process found out the Inspiron E1505 battery is really awful. My son's no longer holds a charge. May have no recourse except to buy a new one from Dell, as numerous people have suggested the third party ones are pretty iffy.

Anyone with experience in this topic or suggestions?

Thanks again. This is a great resource.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Gordon, hooray! I'm glad we were able to help you. On the question of the laptop battery, I agree that you should get a Dell brand battery but you don't have to buy it from Dell. When my wife's Inspiron laptop battery started dying, we purchased a long-life Dell battery at an online retailer for less than Dell charges. That battery is still working well after 2 years of service.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I bought a battery for my HP laptop from this shop in May08 (I had left it in the laptop whilst I was out of the country for 6 months and it went dead). I am very happy with this battery and it was a LOT cheaper than from HP.
PS: Glad you got it working again.

Posted 9 years ago

gordonsorensen

Scott/WHS -- I will check the battery links out. but I did some general checking on Google about them, and heard basically nothing but bad reviews regardless of where purchased. Your 2 stories are I think the only positive ones I have heard. However, I will definitely check into it. thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.