How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - System Restore

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by massezac
  • Latest reply from massezac
  • Topic Viewed 1559 times

massezac

Can anyone help?
Windows 7 Home Premium, x64, on a gateway desktop, 4 gigs memory, 750 gig HD, Intel core 2 quad processor.
I can create as many system restore points as I want with the use of "instant restore point". However, for the last 3 or 4 months when it comes to actually doing a restore I have been getting the following message after every restore I try: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive C:\. The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry System Restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070057)". I have googled this, tried microsoft help, forums, SFC, checkdisk, registry cleanups. All to no avail. It worked fine up until the last few months and then stopped. I must have done somthing but don't know what. I'm lost and don't know what else to try. I do not want to do a clean install. Can you help?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Do you have sufficient space available on your disk for restore points? Recommend you turn off restore points to clean them all out. Reboot your computer. Turn restore points back on. Take a restore point and then restore it. See if it will restore.

Posted 6 years ago

massezac

I have allowed 90 gigs of my drive for system restore. I also tried deleting all restore points and started over. Still the same results.
As an aside, with all the information on google and other sites about how widespread this problem is, you would think that Microsoft would address this problem but the only have one hotfix, which does nothing.
I think that they should be taken to task about all of their neglect and disregard for their customers. We have made Bill the richest man in the world and he just doesnt give a shit about his customers. Wonder what would change if we all revolted and started buying Mac, or if a new system were to emerge?
I'll stop now because the more I type, the madder I get and I can't keep typing cause I don't know how to type!

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

'I'll stop now because the more I type, the madder I get and I can't keep typing cause I don't know how to type!'

If as Xhi's suggestion above did not work then you surely in for a clean install.
One cannot rely solely on SR.
Most of us here image our systems so this scenario is cleared up very quickly.
The scenario you point out above is in a mess and just not repairable, sorry.

I would back up your data now.

Reinstall the OS, Update (this will take a while!), install your programs, security etc. When you are happy consider doing this on a regular basis
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

PS, I had to deal with a crashed mac last week, don't even go there!

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

massezac

Mike, Thanks for your reply, even if it's one I didn't want to hear.
Sam

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.