The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - System image on External hard drive not accesible while restoring PC from image

(17 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by yashoshah
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 4157 times

yashoshah

The windows system image backed up on my external hard drive (2TB WD USB3) is not showing while restoring the PC from an image.

The only option available is my hard drive partition on which i also saved a system image.

What is the reason?
Though windows recommends External hard drive for backing up image when backing up the system.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

yashoshah hi and welcome.
The windows backup is an absolute pain. I have had so many problems with it in the past with clients.
If you are in a good state for the moment I would suggest you copy all your data to an external drive. (just to make sure).
Then install this http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Read this from our Sarah who took the time to write this up. https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-set-up-a-good-backup-system-?replies=18

It is what we here use.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

yashoshah hi,
Does your external drive show when you go into disk management or ar you saying just you image doesn't show?
Have you tried browsing to locate the image?
Do you have any other data on that external that you can see?

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Hi germ-x

Image file saved on External drive does not even shows up while restoring from image.

How to browse in image restore options??? this facility is not available-- the only thing shows up is image file saved on my internal hard drive's another partition.

I mean - the image on external hard drive is not in the options given by windows to restore.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

I think Windows7 imaging only remembers the last image you took - which is most likely the one on your internal partition. Suggest you follow the advice of Vistamike. I have also given up on Win7 imaging - it is a real pain.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

As both vistamike and whs suggested just forget windows has it's own backup option and go with Macrium.
You will have several more options with Macrium then with MS backup and you will be able see your image and also recover files / folders if you need.

Posted 7 years ago

SarahJames

@ yashoshah : do you need to restore that image now?
You can use Macrium in the future, but that's little help to you if you actually need to restore the image you made.

If so, try and copy the image to another external disk and see if Windows will recognize that one.
If not and depending how badly you need the image borrow or buy a second harddrive, build it in, copy the image there and you have fairly big chance you can actually restore the image;)
Hope this is of any use to you.

Posted 7 years ago

mysterchr

I personally have never come across an issue using Windows Backup procedure, I stand by it and suggest it to my clients. But I don't suggest using the Western Digital passports for this. Simply because they often require a rare driver to run, one which is not supported by windows (horrible speller, spellcheck didn't have the right answer and I'm to tired to play around with the word to get it right) nativly, meaning in the restore where you're using the most basic of drivers that WD won't work. Try moving the image to another drive. Also you said the drive was 2TB, windows 7 starts acting funny if there's more then 2tb installed on it so this too could have an effect. Try moving the image to a smaller drive and run it that way.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Windows Backup has always been problematic. And that is the general opinion of the experienced computer users on this forum at least.

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Backed up from hard drive partition on which i also saved a system image.
Applied all the relevant windows updates and installed Acronis true image Home edition as well as macrium free, and imaged using both.
Installed Western digital smart ware software for backing up hard drive data on to my external WD USB3 drive.

The problem now is Windows take too long to boot-- I mean after the "starting windows" screen- it takes 50-60 seconds to reach desktop

BTW i checked all the start up programs and kept them to bare minimum.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

have you tried defragging your hdd?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Yes-- I defragged the drive with "tune up utilities" program

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Check your msconfig to see what is actually in your startup programs.

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Checked MSCONFIG also. No heavy start up programs.
Start up entries are as follows:
Kaspersky AV
Microsoft security client
Malwarebytes antimalware
Intel common user interface
Realtek HD audio manager
USB 3.0 manager
Magic disk
WDDM status

That's it

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Bootracer results:

Time to Logon - 38 secs
Logon to Desktop- 77 secs
Total time to desktop-115 secs

Posted 7 years ago

yashoshah

Solved the long boot time issue.

Installed soluto and found the "Western digital smart ware" as the main culprit (116 secs) behind this, so delayed it from startup.

Now reported boot time is 68 secs as per soluto.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Glad you found your problem. I installed Soluto along with several members and had nothing but trouble. Had a hard time uninstalling, finally used an image and replaced my system. "USE CAUTION" with soluto.
Here is something you might want to look at
http://www.soluto.com/PC/Support/FAQ/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.