The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

STOP:C0000135 {unable to locate component}...wnsrv was not found...etc.

(14 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Lanie
  • Latest reply from Gandalf
  • Topic Viewed 4523 times

Lanie

Apx. 2 weeks ago, no idea why, I get the blue screen with the error message "STOP:C0000135 {unable to locate component}. This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." This is a laptop, Dell Inspiron 600m, running Windows XP Home Edition. Apparently, between 2004-2005, there was no disc sent with this purchase, since the "original factory image" is on the hard drive, in case there's a need to reformat the hard drive -- which I don't want to do if I can avoid it. (No, I'm a ding-bat and didn't back up everything, which is why I'm thoroughly irritated with myself). That said, I called Dell and they tell me, for a fee of either $129. for a one-time fix or $239. for a 1-year subscription covering my laptop and my desktop, they will "send me a CD??" and chat on the phone for up to 3 days to fix my laptop. I have perused the Internet endlessly to see if I can do this on my own, and I can't seem to figure out what it is I need to get this problem fixed!! I've tried the whole F8 thing and choosing the different options, and nothing works. (I believe I have a disk that came with my Dell Dimension 4800, if that might help.??) The thing is, if I can't log into Windows, how does one fix this problem? As for why this might have happened, who knows. The family uses the laptop. I do know that one of the last things being used was i-Tunes, but that's about all I can offer for input. Honestly, if I have to fork over the money to Dell, I will. I just want someone more educated than myself on the subject, and someone not trying to get my money, to say, "Hey Lady, pay the money, because you ain't doing it on your own!" PS: I have your "How-To-Geek" on my home page...you guys/gals are amazing!! Thanks so much for your time.

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

I'm new here, so I don't know all the can's and can't of this site... yet.

I'd like to help you, but I'd have to have access to the .dmp file that was created as a result of your crash.
I'll ask the powers that be (the geek geeks), if they have a way for me to get your .dmp file.

Unless someone else jumps in here, I'll be back with (I hope) a good answer.
I'll explain in more detail then. $129 is just not fair for someone who bought their equipment.
And, I'll bet they won't guarantee their results either.

I'll be back....

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

Lanie, you may have gotten lucky.
While I am waiting on a reply from the Geek Geek, this link might be your fix.
Have a read and see if it applied to you.
885523 fix

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Hello Gandalf (like the name!). Thanks for taking the time to post. Huh, .dmp files?? Ya' lost me on that one. I did do F8 and tried "disabling auto restart", but all that happens are those same white line that go across the bottom of the dark screen (||||||||, etc), it flickers, and then goes to my Windows XP window where it looks as if it's going to open. Instead, it goes to the blue screen with the above-mentioned error message...and there it sits until I turn it off. As for the link to the "885523" information, I've read that page over and over. I see the part where it says to download that fix package, but all I'd be doing is putting it on my desktop that I'm using right now and I have no idea what to do with it after that, and the problem is on my laptop. I've read the rest of that article also, but when it gets to the part about "work around" stuff, it appears to be written in a foreign language..ha ha!! You see, I'm searching for information on one computer to fix one that doesn't work...a huge mystery to me. When Dell told me they'd send me a "disk" to help fix the laptop for a fee, I figured that same info might be out in the world wide web somewhere. I mean, Dell can't have exclusive smarts to fixing this problem, can they? Honestly, I don't mind paying for services if I have to, but a little research never hurt anyone first! My apologies for the rambling...I have a hard time with the "short, sweet, and to the point" info. I call it being thorough, others call it annoying...hee hee. Thanks again for your efforts.

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

Try to boot up your laptop via the Safe Mode.
To do this, press the F8 key repeatedly during the bootup process.
You want to select the Safe Mode with internet access.

Let me know, if that works.

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Gandalf: Tried the Safe Mode with Networking (didn't have "with internet access), and it did something different, which I had seen already another time trying to start it up. It went to a black, DOS-looking screen instead of the Windows XP screen and scrolled through a few pages of stuff (white lettering) that included "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe" with different endings. I'm guessing you know what all that means. Anyway, I'm looking again at the blue screen and same error message. Thanks for your continued efforts though...'preciate it.

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

If you get the Blue screen as a result of accessing the Safe Mode, then you do have a problem.
You said you did not get a Windows XP Installation disc with the computer, then you will need to get a Windows XP Installation disc.
If DELL won't provide you with one, you will need to buy one.
This problem can not be fixed without the Windows XP Installation disc.
If we had been able to access the Safe Mode, then you would have had a chance without the disc.
Microsoft is not longer selling the XP version of Windows, but they are being sold on sites like ebay.
If you decide to buy a copy, make sure it is the FULL version and NOT the upgrade.
Be sure it says that it is a GENUINE Windows XP FULL version.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Hi, and thanks once again for all your efforts. Maybe that disk is what Dell would send me when they get my $129, although I don't want to have to reformat the hard drive but, instead, just get onto the computer to try and fix what might be causing the problem, if it's possible. They seemed to think they could remedy the problem, or that was my assumption based on their offer of help. I will, of course, ask all those questions before I give them my money. If I get it fixed, I'll get on here and post what the "$129. solution" was. Much obliged for your time.

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

I'll wager there solution is to return the C: drive to its factory condition.
That means format the C: drive and load all the original software that the computer originally can with.
Scratch any personal files or email or favorite web site links.

If you put that money into a XP Installation disc, you can try some restore functions that won't destroy your personal files.
I can't guarantee you that the restore function will work, but at least with the XP Installation disc you will have a choice.
I am by no means trying to sway you one way or the other. I just want you to completely understand what your options are.

Either way you decide to go, good luck.

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Wow, you sure are determined to help me find a fix...that's great. Honestly, I do have to admit that you've finally confused me. Can I assume that there's a difference between this XP installation disk to restore functions rather than what you're thinking Dell might want me to do? And if I attempt to purchase this disk, what is it, specifically, that I ask for? As I mentioned in my original post, I have a disk that I got with the computer I'm on right now, a Dell Dimension 4800 (desktop)that runs XP Professional and is newer? Is there a chance I could utilize anything on that disk, or do I need something more specific to the laptop? And no worries, I'm not concerned that you're trying to "sway" me either way...it's obvious you're trying to help. Thanks.

PS: Just got off the phone with Dell, and they're telling me that if I pay them the $129 they can't guarantee that my hard drive won't get wiped out and reformatted in this process . And, I have to purchase 3-4 disks to do the reformat..some being $10. and some being $15. He asked me if I did x, y, and z, -- all the same things you suggested, although he did ask if I rebooted in safe mode with command prompt, and that didn't work either. So, I'm thinking I have to pay someone to work their magic and try and get to the guts of this thing and salvage photos and a few other important things for me. If not, hey, HUGE lesson learned, right??

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

Your Laptop has the XP Home version and your Desktop has the XP Pro version.
I do not think Microsoft will allow the Pro version to repair the Home version.
I guess it's worth a try. Since you can't access the computer as it is, you've got nothing to loose.
NOTE: It is not legal to install the same copy of Windows on two computers.
This link will tell you how to attempt to REPAIR your laptop using the Installation disc.
Perform a Repair Installation

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Morning. I've bookmarked that page on repair installation and will give some thought to trying it. First, I will ask some local computer guys if they have any idea how I might get some of my information from the laptop before I do this, in the event that I totally get it wrong! I spent most of yesterday researching the problem but need to step away from it and earn a paycheck today. Thanks so much again for your efforts. If I get this fixed, I will try and get back on here and post the actual problem/solution, so that others might benefit/learn. Have a great day!!

Posted 9 years ago

Lanie

Hello. I did call a local computer person and he told me that he could plug into the hard drive and copy all of my "my documents" files, (probably where all my photos, music and other important information is stored?) and save them to something. He said it would cost about $65. Not a lot considering, but an expensive lesson learned. Thanks again for the attempts at help.

Posted 9 years ago

Gandalf

We are never to old to learn.

Recommend you get an external HDD. Perhaps a 250GB HDD.
You can backup/save all your photos, etc there.
I have one for what I don't want to loose.
I keep it disconnected unless I need to access it to update the saved files or retrieve/copy a file back to my C: drive.
That way if something happens to my C: drive and I have to start over (reformat), I haven't lost the important stuff.

Worth thinking about.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.