XhiiX

yeah it's good

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Sure about that Rick? :)

Link

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

The British do pay a horrible high price for computers and components from what I can tell.

I don't know why. :( :(

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

This one is a bargain.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

To be fair, if money were no object I'd probably have a couple of those.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Rick, one of the reasons why prices of PC components are high in Europe is the sales tax (e.g. 19% in Germany) and import duty (11% in Germany). And those percentages have to be included in the posted price. In Germany it is illegal to post a price without the taxes.

That alone increases the prices by 30%. In Germany an item usually costs the same in Euros as it costs in Dollars in the US - and the Euro is worth appr. $1.30. On top of that you rarely have any sales like e.g. on Newegg. So you nearly always pay the recommended manufacturer price.

There was a little give on cars in recent years because the EU liberated the laws. On the new car I got in Germany in October I got a 5000 Euro break ($6500). With some other makes I could have done even better.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@whs, Thanks for the Good Explanation.

As for SSD Storage, it was only a few years ago that most folks only needed a couple hundred GBs of storage so
256 GB and 512 GB SSDs are not bad.

I'm still trying to figure out what folks need +1 TBs of storage for since most stuff is already in the free cloud ??

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Not everyone has access to the cloud all the time or they are stuck with a bandwidth cap. Add to that the ephemeral nature of many sites. Cloud data storage is not 100% reliable so there is a need to have redundacy in place. Hence, local storage. SSD storage is still too expensive to be practical for most people but the day is coming when spinners will be replaced by SSDs; I'll probably live long enough to see it (and I doubt I will live another 20 years). The technology is available now; it's the cost that is holding it back. Still, laptops with 512 GB SSDs aren't far fetched now. I'm surprised I haven't seen any with an SSD boot drive and a spinner yet.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

http://www.calibex.com/Dell-XP.....rices-html There are not many but here is one.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

These 512 GB SSDs are all mostly under $1.00 per GB. :) :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....name=512GB

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LF, there are quite a few upscale laptops that have an SSD and a spinner. The SSDs are usually small (20 to 30GB). Look into the Ultrabooks. There you find them.
There are also a few 17" laptops that have 2 disk bays. One is usually empty where you can put a SSD in. Last resort is to use the CD reader bay and put a SSD in.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Agree with whs. :)

One can also Configure To Order (CTO) most any Dell Laptop with an SSD.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ah, but are the SSDs being used for boot drives (the size suggests not) or to cache the spinners?

I almost bought a 17" laptop that had two 160 GB spinners five years ago (I'm glad I didn't).

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LF, I think some SSDs are used as cache and others actually have the OS on them. But I have not really surveyed that topic in any detail.

Posted 4 years ago

amkeew

Yay. My wishlist of under $1000, 512 gig laptop may not be a pipe dream after all.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Last I looked, the Dell CTO could be made with 256 GB SSD or better but not for $1000 or less. (LOL) :)

Posted 4 years ago

amkeew

I am locking my fingers with duct tape, rick. :)

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I checked out the Dell Rick linked but I couldn't find anywhere that would say if the SSD was used for a boot drive or for caching. I read something somewhere recently that said there was a new laptop standard that calls for allowing room for an SSD to be used for caching.

This just in: NewEgg has a Samsung 840 500GB SSD, normally $365, for $328.49 with promo code EMCYTZT2678 for today only. methinks you have to sign up for NewEgg's daily email ads to use the code.

Posted 4 years ago

gedstar

@ raphoenix

The British do pay a horrible high price for computers and components from what I can tell.

I don't know why. :( :(

You should try living in Ireland, even more expensive!!!!

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

UK subject to 20% VAT (similar to a general service tax)

240gb OCZ SSD = £115 (186.4462 USD)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-AG.....#38;sr=8-2

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LF, "methinks you have to sign up for NewEgg's daily email ads to use the code"

I don't think so. With the promo code you can get it. I get the daily Newegg mails. They are very useful because they often have really good sales. And if you don't want that, check into this thread from time to time. There we always post the best deals from all kinds of vendors.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I get the daily emails so it's a moot point for me. I'm thinkin' I read somewhere you have to be registered for the emails to use the promo codes but, then again, I'm old and getting senile. I also check into that thread when it pops up although I haven't found anything interesting there...yet.

If one had room for it, one would be better off getting two 500 GB SSDs instead of OCZ's 1 TB SSD. Not only are the two Samsungs way cheaper than the one OCZ, the 1 TB OCZ is downright pokey compared to Samsung's 500 GB SSDS, even if you don't run them in RAID 0.

I'm wondering why someone doesn't make an SSD with two or more smaller SSDs running in RAID 0 to make a really fast SSD. If they can make 500 GB and 1 TB SSDs, there should be rooom to cram two smaller drives and a RAID controller inside a 2.5" case. Imagine the drive they could make using a 3.5" case. Anyone for a 4-6 TB SSD?

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Since my OCZ Vertex 2 drive just died a few weeks ago (apparently due to a sleep related issue that an awful lot of people seem to be having) I doubt I'd be buying another OCZ SSD any time soon. The drive was just over two years old, so I have RMA'd it. Didn't lose any data as I'm backed up daily, but I wasn't entirely happy about sending off a drive with my personal data most likely still intact.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Why did you not Secure Erase it before sending.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@LF,

I Run two machines with all SSDs and always use Raid 0 Arrays.

I've had a newegg Business Account forever so they give me their Special Customer Discounts / Promos when and if available.

You should sign up for a newegg account. :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. Can you secure erase a dead drive (other than exposing it to a honking huge magnet like the ones scrap yards use)?

@ Rick P. I was talking about a hypothetical SSD with the "innards" of two smaller ones (say 60 to 128 GB ea) and it's own RAID controller all inside a single 2.5" case. Only one MOBO SATA port and one SATA data and SATA power cable would be needed to connect to the drive.

I have a regular account and I occasionally get special offers from them (beyond their regular sales). They also notify me if an item on a wish list goes on sale. How is a business account different and what is required?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

@all, your comments on SSD's are very interesting and informative, but for the most part unless you have a special need and or very knowledgeable the low end laptops have spinners as well as the desktops. The 1Tb HDD is about as large as I would go and even with that I have redundency backups, which means you really need two HDD's.
When I use to travel abroad on business, it seemed I always had a few trinkets packed away in my luggage. That sometimes included high end stuff.
@Rick, I used to run Raid 0 many yrs ago and yes it helped but if one drive fails then you have lost a lot of data. With the speed of today's SSD's would one benefit from running Raid 1??

Posted 4 years ago

whs

g-x, With SSDs, there is no need for Raid. Yes you get better nums in the measurements, but in real life that means very little. I think Rick does that mostely because he is a perfectionsist.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs and germ-x. I don't disagree you all. I was just having fun speculating. I'm going to run only one SSD for a boot drive in my next computer (I am using 2 TB drives for data, though, and I'm even more redundant on backups with two local drives and another one offsite for each drive I have; yes, I'm a coward).

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

(LOL) Yes I am a Perfectionist when it comes to machines that's for sure.

I expect the utmost performance out of any piece of equipment whether it be Aircraft, Automobile or Computer. :)

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

@WHS The drive was completely fubar. Bios couldn't even detect it, let alone any of the usual disk management software.

@Rick I knew your PC was a hulking beast, but I never imagined your car would be as well.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ PH. You should see my "car." An F150 Super Crew

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@LF,

What ???? No 4 Wheel Drive with off rode suspension and I don't see winch on the front end.

3/4 or 1 ton F250/350 get you better climbing rally performance. :)

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Don't need a 4x4, don't need the higher insurance bill that comes with a 4x4, don't need the higher fuel consumption that comes with a 4x4, don't need the higher maintenance that comes with a 4x4, don't need a winch that adds weight that increases fuel consumption and makes for more truck length to deal with when parking. Don't need an F250-F350 and the higher fuel consumption they have. Don't have a need for more speed either. Of course, if you are going to foot the bill...

;)

Posted 4 years ago

amkeew

Rick, what with your insider trading deals with Newegg and all, could you not get me that under 1000 bucks LT with 512 GB SSD ? ;)

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

@LF, Don't think your a coward. Just think you've been burned once or twice. Most people are reactive by nature. Then something happens that changes some to become proactive. I think one of the most beneficial accomplishments of this forum is making new members understand the importance of backups.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

LF, Your car is not really a model of economy either. For me, anything that does less than 40MpG is a gas guzzler.

My 13 year old car that I just sold did 42MpG and my new car does 45MpG (mixed driving). And it is fast (120MpH) on it's 1600cc turbo engine with 7 speed Direct Shift automatic. I could have done even a lot better with a turbo diesel engine. But I did not want a diesel - although diesels are more powerful, quieter at speed and last longer, besides using a lot less fuel.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@amkeew,

If I had that much influence, I would buy Two for myself at that price. (LOL) :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

amkeew

Rick - One of these days, I am going to buy that damned Newegg itself, so that I can get my wish.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Easy Money ! :) :)
http://www.nseindia.com/

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ germ-x. Haven't been burned but I've seen enough accounts of people who have been burned to know enough to take steps to avoid it. I did have an image save my bacon (and data) a few years ago when a program (Threatfire) scrambled my OS. Thank God I not only kept backups but I also kept versioned backups.

@ whs. Yeah, Saoirse (my F150) is a thirsty girl compared to your cars but she has her advantages. She seats five comfortably and a sixth person if that person isn't too long legged. She has loads of cargo capacity (I love the tool boxes on the side of the shell!). Even though it's a large step up (thank God for step bars), she is much easier for me to get in and out of. Because of bad joints, etc. I have a hard time getting in and out of most vehicles; I often have to have help getting out of compacts. And the ride in most vehicles is very uncomfortable for me; Saoirse is very comfortable, even on long trips.

I have no idea how fast she will go since I've never opened her up (no need or desire to) but I'm guessing she could easily top 120 mph. She can easily hold her speed on any grade I've had her on (6% or so). I drive her as though she had eggs taped to the gas and brake pedals so she gets pretty decent gas mileage for a vehicle her size. The last time I checked, she was doing 17 mpg city and 19 mpg highway (I drive the speed limits; less if conditions require it).

Diesels aren't available for the F150s. Ford truck diesel engines burn less fuel than an equivalent gasser but diesel fuel prices are higher. They can go farther with less maintenance but, when maintenance is needed, it costs more than a gasser because they usually have larger sumps that hold more. Repairs are less frequent but are also more expensive. The initial cost of a diesel engine is higher than a gasser. Overall, gas engines are far more economical than diesels. Diesels shine in Ford pickups when one is doing frequent heavy towing.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Yeah, diesels are really a problem in the US. The ones they sell like in the pickups were designed at the times of the civil war - and those bangers are noisy. There are no modern designed turbo diesels available. The reason is simple - there is no modern diesel fuel available. The diesel fuel in the US contains sulfur and a lot of water. That is no problem for those old rustic engines and the trucks. But modern diesels are high tech engines that need modern diesel fuel.

Now why is there no modern diesel fuel available - they have not built a new refinery in over 30 years. Your guess is as good as mine for the reasons.

Btw: in Europe, the diesel fuel is way cheaper than gas. That's why nearly 70% of the passenger cars are diesels (e.g. in France).

Regarding the getting in and out of the car I can appreciate that. I am missing 2 discs in my back and have backpain all the time. I also always buy cars that are higher and where I can easily slide in. This was my old car I just sold. This picture was taken 2 months ago. It is 13 years old, but look at the condition it's in. Not a single scratch and not one spot of rost:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Our diesel pickup engines aren't as ancient as you describe; most are pretty modern. the difference is they are TRUCK engines. Some of the small CATs they use weigh as much as that car you pictured. That's one reason why they don't put them in F150s.

The reason for no new refineries is money; the greedy oil companies don't want to spend it plus reducing supply helps to keep prices up (although most of the reason for higher prices are the boils on the financial backside of society, a.k.a. speculators). Yes, American diesel fuel isn't as good as Europe's but it's also less expensive.

I've been suffering from Adhesive Capsulitus (a.k.a. frozen shoulder although it also affected my hips). I'm doing better but it will probably never fully heal. I also have deformed feet (Metatarsus Adductus) and bad knees that give me problems (my knees and feet go out more than I do, arthritis in my hands and back (at least I don't have it in my knees like my poor Daddy and his brothers did), Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, general feebleness, and severe nasal allergies that have been resisting treatment. My blood work and family history says I'm a walking poster child for heart attack and/or stroke so I'm on an aspirin regimen (81 mg twice daily). Still, it could be worse. I'm just glad I can afford to be retired.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Well, we all have our package to carry. But at 75 I am happy when I can get up every morning. Life is a bit slower than it used to be, but that is OK with me. Fortunately I have no heart problem. But most other subsystems are on the blink - especiall my eyes (Macula degeneration) and the back. The rest I can manage.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.